From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>
Subject: Re: font question re U+00336
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 09:26:52 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Julian,

Am 24.05.22 um 02:30 schrieb jbf via ntg-context:
> I wonder if someone can help me interpret this message in the log file
>
> fonts           > start missing characters:
> /home/jbf/bin/context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyrepagella-regular.otf
>
> fonts           >   88  U+00336  ̶  COMBINING LONG STROKE OVERLAY
> fonts           > stop missing characters
>
> My questions are as follows:
>
> 1. What does 88 mean here? 88 instances of this missing glyph? Page 88?
> Or something else? or in other words, how might I discover where
> something is missing from the original text?

Don’t know. In a different context (haha) I’d say a nazi greeting.

> 2. Tex Gyre Pagella is normally a pretty handy typeface to use for me
> because it has pretty much all the glyphs I normally need... except this
> one obviously! Isn't it really just an en rule (or very similar to
> such)? Or in other words, how do I best overcome the problem of this
> missing character?

"combining" means a combining accent.

In case you’re on MacOS and copied the text from e.g. a PDF, MacOS
decomposes many (all?) accented vowels, like u + combining trema instead
of a proper ü umlaut glyph, and that can cause missing or displaced
accents, depending on the font.

Similar with additional space “glyphs” that are often missing in fonts
and cause warnings like this.

Are you missing any characters where this long stroke should appear?

> 3. And perhaps connected with the above question: is there good fallback
> solution one can use? Do I need to \definefontfallback something or is
> there an automatic one already happening?
>
> I've started to examine the log files a bit more carefully for various
> items and it is showing up my ignorance!!

I wouldn’t call that ignorance – you can ignore a lot of warnings if the
output looks good enough.

Hraban