* [NTG-context] adjustment to my local footnotes problem
@ 2023-04-23  7:21 jbf via ntg-context
From: jbf via ntg-context @ 2023-04-23  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I realise that I should have been talking about the space between local
footnotes, rather than interlinespace (previous email on this issue),
but my basic problem still stands. My efforts to influence the space
between footnotes placed locally is to no avail so far.

I assume it is \setupnote (rather than \setupnotation, my earlier
mistake) where I would need to somehow influence distance between
footnotes which is currently too large. I have tried
\setupnote[before={\blank[small]}, after={\blank[small]}]. It appears to
be reducing the space before the entire block of local footnotes but not
between the footnotes themselves, which is what I am trying to do.

Am I correct in assuming that the \setupnote should influence my
\placelocalfootnotes? Or is there something else I should do in the case
of local footnotes as distinct from general footnotes (my document
contains ONLY local footnotes, however).

It seems a simple enough issue, but I just can't get it right.

Julian

* Re: [NTG-context] adjustment to my local footnotes problem
@ 2023-04-23 10:34 ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2023-04-23 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbf via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 23.04.23 um 09:21 schrieb jbf via ntg-context:
> I realise that I should have been talking about the space between local
> footnotes, rather than interlinespace (previous email on this issue),
> but my basic problem still stands. My efforts to influence the space
> between footnotes placed locally is to no avail so far.
>
> I assume it is \setupnote (rather than \setupnotation, my earlier
> mistake) where I would need to somehow influence distance between
> footnotes which is currently too large. I have tried
> \setupnote[before={\blank[small]}, after={\blank[small]}]. It appears to
> be reducing the space before the entire block of local footnotes but not
> between the footnotes themselves, which is what I am trying to do.

Did you try "inbetween" or "distance"? (I’d assume the latter is for the
distance between number and text, but inbetween is usually vertically.)

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupnote

> Am I correct in assuming that the \setupnote should influence my
> \placelocalfootnotes? Or is there something else I should do in the case
> of local footnotes as distinct from general footnotes (my document
> contains ONLY local footnotes, however).

I was wondering if \setupnote[localfootnote][…] makes sense, but I can’t
find in the sources if local footnotes are setup differently from
general one.

Hraban

* Re: [NTG-context] adjustment to my local footnotes problem
@ 2023-04-23 21:36   ` jbf via ntg-context
From: jbf via ntg-context @ 2023-04-23 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context; +Cc: jbf

I tried all those Hraban, unsuccessfully, but finally 'happened' upon a
solution by trying whitespace instead in the setups. Except that I had
read somewhere in the mailing list (Pablo I think) that I would need to
use \directsetup. I don't actually understand why, have never been sure
about what \directsetup does, but there's no doubt it works in this
case! So the following has done what I needed:

\startsetups[setups:footnotes]

  \setupwhitespace[.01em]

\stopsetups

\setupnote[before=\directsetup{setups:footnotes}]

Julian

@ 2023-04-23 21:38   ` jbf via ntg-context
From: jbf via ntg-context @ 2023-04-23 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2023-04-24  7:33     ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2023-04-24  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 23.04.23 um 23:36 schrieb jbf via ntg-context:
> I tried all those Hraban, unsuccessfully, but finally 'happened' upon a
> solution by trying whitespace instead in the setups. Except that I had
> read somewhere in the mailing list (Pablo I think) that I would need to
> use \directsetup. I don't actually understand why, have never been sure
> about what \directsetup does, but there's no doubt it works in this
> case! So the following has done what I needed:

I’m sorry, I didn’t test my suggestion.

In MkIV, \directsetup or \fastsetup are a bit faster than \setup. They
can load only one setup and catch less errors. In LMTX, they don’t make
sense any more.

Hraban

* Re: [NTG-context] adjustment to my local footnotes problem
@ 2023-04-24  9:21       ` jbf via ntg-context
From: jbf via ntg-context @ 2023-04-24  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, Hraban, you say that \directsetup makes no sense any more in LMTX,
but in this case  (I use LMTX, not MKIV) I tried it without
\directsetup, it did not work and furthermore I got an error. That is
why I commented that I did not understand what \directsetup really does
(or doesn't do as you are suggesting).

For now the immediate problem is resolved, and I am happy about that,
but I don't understand why it works with \directsetup but not without it
in LMTX (my version December last year)

Julian

@ 2023-04-24 12:00         ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2023-04-24 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbf via ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 24.04.23 um 11:21 schrieb jbf via ntg-context:
> Well, Hraban, you say that \directsetup makes no sense any more in LMTX,
> but in this case  (I use LMTX, not MKIV) I tried it without
> \directsetup, it did not work and furthermore I got an error. That is
> why I commented that I did not understand what \directsetup really does
> (or doesn't do as you are suggesting).
>
> For now the immediate problem is resolved, and I am happy about that,
> but I don't understand why it works with \directsetup but not without it
> in LMTX (my version December last year)

Sorry, that was what Hans told me.
Maybe I misunderstood.
Seems like \directsetup is still necessary in this case, so I must fix
my documentation.

Hraban