* How to use text Calligraphic font using \definefont
@ 2006-12-05 22:27 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-12-05 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I have the following font definitions,

\usetypescriptfile
   [type-gyr]

\definetypeface  [mainface] [rm] [serif]       [palatino]  [default]
 		 [encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface  [mainface] [cg] [calligraphy] [chancery]  [default]
 		 [encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface  [mainface] [ss] [sans]        [kurier]    [default]
 		 [encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface  [mainface] [mm] [math]        [euler]     [euler]
 		 [encoding=texnansi,rscale=1.03]
\definetypeface  [mainface] [tt] [mono]        [modern]    [default]
 		 [encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface  [boldface] [mm] [boldmath]    [euler]     [euler]
                  [encoding=texnansi,rscale=1.03]

\setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]

I want to use the Calligraphic font font for headers etc, so I tried

\definefont[BigText]  [Calligarphic sa 2]

\BigText test

which gives me the math calligraphic fonts. How do I get the text
calligraphic fonts, using \definefont?

Another question which is slightly OT: Is there a free handwriting
font that matches with palatino? I am making a presentation and would
like to write somethings in a "informal" font. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Aditya

* Re: How to use text Calligraphic font using \definefont
@ 2006-12-06 14:46 ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-12-06 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 17:27, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> \definefont[BigText]  [Calligarphic sa 2]
>
> \BigText test
>
> which gives me the math calligraphic fonts. How do I get the text
> calligraphic fonts, using \definefont?

The virtue of the Context system of font specification lies in the ability to
change sizes with \tfb, \tfx etc. For a single size used for e.g, title page
I use a regular TeX \font statement.  For example after I fought through the
AGaramond problem for body fonts, with great help from this list, I still
retained some additional special statements like:

\font\MySans uhvbo8r at 30pt
\font\BigSans uhvb8r at 30pt
\font\MedSans uhvb8r at 20pt
etc.

This is a bit tedious but pretty much mistake proof.  And the call for each
variant is simple.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting

* Re: How to use text Calligraphic font using \definefont
@ 2006-12-06 16:53   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2006-12-06 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

do ut des
( it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_ut_des
in the first sense «io do affinché tu dia»)

luigi

* Re: How to use text Calligraphic font using \definefont
@ 2006-12-06 20:35   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-12-06 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 December 2006 17:27, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> \definefont[BigText]  [Calligarphic sa 2]
>>
>> \BigText test
>>
>> which gives me the math calligraphic fonts. How do I get the text
>> calligraphic fonts, using \definefont?
>
> The virtue of the Context system of font specification lies in the ability to
> change sizes with \tfb, \tfx etc. For a single size used for e.g, title page
> I use a regular TeX \font statement.  For example after I fought through the
> AGaramond problem for body fonts, with great help from this list, I still
> retained some additional special statements like:
>
> \font\MySans uhvbo8r at 30pt
> \font\BigSans uhvb8r at 30pt
> \font\MedSans uhvb8r at 20pt
> etc.
>
> This is a bit tedious but pretty much mistake proof.  And the call for each
> variant is simple.

Thank you. I guess I will have to learn how plain TeX handles fonts.
Until now, ConTeXt saved me from the gory details :)

But I am still confused. Why does text calligraphic font not have a
font synonym?

Aditya