* Context -> Tex
@ 2006-12-20 14:26 Paul Jones
From: Paul Jones @ 2006-12-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Is there some way that I can convert my context file into tex?  I am
just pondering how much faster running straight tex through pdftex
would be than using context.  Is there some way to run it through
texexec and get tex out of it instead of a pdf/dvi?  Or are there
stats about this kind of thing somewhere that I can lookup?

Thanks,
paul

* Re: Context -> Tex
@ 2006-12-20 15:57 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2006-12-20 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:26:00 -0700
"Paul Jones" <shagreel@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Paul,

> Hello,
>
> Is there some way that I can convert my context file into tex?  I am
> just pondering how much faster running straight tex through pdftex
> would be than using context.  Is there some way to run it through
> texexec and get tex out of it instead of a pdf/dvi?  Or are there
> stats about this kind of thing somewhere that I can lookup?
>
> Thanks,
> paul

You can load only the format files from context and it will run faster
than the ruby and perl version. I can do this on my machine with
\type{pdftex -fmt=cont-en myfile} but this produce dvi-files and you
will never get a table of contents or any else index, because they are
created with the ruby and perl scripts.

What do you mean by creating a tex file, ConTeXt files are normally
always tex-files or do you mean plain or low level TeX.

Wolfgang

* Re: Context -> Tex
@ 2006-12-20 16:04   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-12-20 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> What do you mean by creating a tex file, ConTeXt files are normally
> always tex-files or do you mean plain or low level TeX.

Generally speaking, a low-level tex file that does the same as
context does will have to be undistinguisable from context and
therefore will run at the same speed.

Best,
Taco

* Re: Context -> Tex
@ 2006-12-20 16:31 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2006-12-20 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/20/06, Paul Jones <shagreel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there some way that I can convert my context file into tex?  I am
> just pondering how much faster running straight tex through pdftex
> would be than using context.
hmm, maybe in context
\tracingall\starttext Hello\stoptext
and something similar in pdftex (ie, activate all tracing before write Hello )
You can then compare logs to have an idea.
luigi