* adventor
@ 2007-08-03 14:34 Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2007-08-03 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hallo,

I have some problems useing the font adventor from gyre project.
After downloading the fonts and the context map-files from the gyre-
site, I tried the following:

\usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
\definetypeface[adventor][ss][sans][adventor][default][encoding=ec]
\setupbodyfont[adventor,ss,9pt]
\starttext
\ss Bla
\stoptext

but I get

! Font \*adventor12ptsstfss*:=TeXGyreAdventor-Regular at 12.0pt not
loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.

After that I looked into the type-gyr typescript and found

\loadmapfile[
q\typescriptprefix{f:\typescripttwo}-\typescriptthree.map]

but the map-file is ec-qag.map!

So I changed that to

\loadmapfile[
\typescriptthree-q\typescriptprefix{f:\typescripttwo}.map]

But the errormessage was exactly the same as befor.

The map-file is found:

> kpsewhich ec-qag.map
kpsewhich ec-qag.map
e:/context/tex/texmf-project/fonts/map/pdftex/context/ec-qag.map

So I need some tips!

Btw.: Why are there TWO \loadmapfile entrys in type-gyr?
One in

\starttypescript[serif]...
\loadmapfile[q\typescriptprefix{f:\typescripttwo}-
\typescriptthree.map]

the other in

\starttypescript[map][pagella,termes,bonum,schola,heros,adventor]
[all]
\loadmapfile[q\typescriptprefix{f:\typescripttwo}-
\typescriptthree.map]
\stoptypescript

Are they both necessary? If so, what's the difference?

Wolfgang

* Re: adventor
@ 2007-08-03 14:51 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-08-03 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/3/07, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini <wwl@musensturm.de> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I have some problems useing the font adventor from gyre project.

> After downloading the fonts and the context map-files from the gyre-
> site, I tried the following:
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> \definetypeface[adventor][ss][sans][adventor][default][encoding=ec]
> \setupbodyfont[adventor,ss,9pt]
> \starttext
> \ss Bla
> \stoptext
>
> but I get
>
> ! Font \*adventor12ptsstfss*:=TeXGyreAdventor-Regular at 12.0pt not
> loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.

Did you install adventor with texfont ?

--
luigi

* Re: adventor
@ 2007-08-07  7:25   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-08-07  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
>>> I must admit that I find this a bit frustrating. The tex-gyre font
>>> project looks so promising, but users need a simpler syntax to use
>>> the fonts (I know we want need this anymore with luatex, but it
>>> needs to be fixed anyway).
>> This type of patch to type-gyr.tex should help:
>>
>> -\starttypescript[serif][palatino][ec,texnansi,cs,el,qx,rm,t5,t2a,t2
>> b,t2c,l7x]
>> +\starttypescript[serif][palatino,pagella][ec,texnansi,cs,el,qx,rm,t
>> 5,t2a,t2b,t2c,l7x]
>>
>> (you can't define a typeface for an undefined typescript).
>>
>> Hans doesn't like avantgarde, so for you adventor you will have
>> to create a completely new typescript, as it was never previously
>> defined in the core.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Taco
>
> 'type-gyr.tex' defines!!! adventor. But the encoding-script is wrong,
> as Thomas has pointed out.

Oops, I should study the files more before replying, sorry.

> I still have some questions:
>
> - A complete (all gyre-fonts) type-script makes sense. Will 'type-
> gyr' be fixed, or should I create my own?

It should get fixed.

> - What are the map-files at the gyre-site for?

The xxx-hh zips you mean? these are absolete.

> - Is the second \loadmapfile entry above redundant?

I _think_ so, but am not completely sure.

> - What is the correct texfont syntax, to install adventors small-caps
> variant?

I do not know, I am not even sure you should run texfont.

> - There are enc-files in the ??dvips?? subdirectory of the font tree:
>
>  'fonts/enc/dvips/tex-gyre/q-<encoding>-sc.enc
>
> Should I make use from these files? Will they be found there?

The enc files will (should) be found automatically by pdftex, even
if they are in the dvips folder. But this depends on the previous
question somehow.

Taco

* Re: adventor
       [not found] <mailman.421.1186393793.2346.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-08-06 21:28 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2007-08-06 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> > I must admit that I find this a bit frustrating. The tex-gyre font
> > project looks so promising, but users need a simpler syntax to use
> > the fonts (I know we want need this anymore with luatex, but it
> > needs to be fixed anyway).
>
> This type of patch to type-gyr.tex should help:
>
> -\starttypescript[serif][palatino][ec,texnansi,cs,el,qx,rm,t5,t2a,t2
> b,t2c,l7x]
> +\starttypescript[serif][palatino,pagella][ec,texnansi,cs,el,qx,rm,t
> 5,t2a,t2b,t2c,l7x]
>
> (you can't define a typeface for an undefined typescript).
>
> Hans doesn't like avantgarde, so for you adventor you will have
> to create a completely new typescript, as it was never previously
> defined in the core.
>
> Cheers,
> Taco

'type-gyr.tex' defines!!! adventor. But the encoding-script is wrong,
as Thomas has pointed out.

--- excerpt from type-gyr.tex ---
\definetypescriptprefix [n:adventor][TeXGyreAdventor]
\definetypescriptprefix [f:adventor][ag]

\starttypescript [serif] [pagella,termes,heros,bonum,schola,adventor] [ec,texnansi,cs,el,qx,rm,t5,t2a,t2b,t2c,l7x]
  \loadmapfile[q\typescriptprefix{f:\typescripttwo}-\typescriptthree.map]

  \definefontsynonym [\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo}-Regular]        [\typescriptthree-q\typescriptprefix{f:\typescripttwo}r]     [encoding=\typescriptthree]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [heros,adventor] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [Sans]                [\typescriptprefix{n:\typescripttwo}-Regular]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [map] [pagella,termes,bonum,schola,heros,adventor] [all]
  \loadmapfile[q\typescriptprefix{f:\typescripttwo}-\typescriptthree.map]
\stoptypescript
---

@ 2007-08-06  8:51     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-08-06  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> I must admit that I find this a bit frustrating. The tex-gyre font
> project looks so promising, but users need a simpler syntax to use
> the fonts (I know we want need this anymore with luatex, but it needs
> to be fixed anyway).

This type of patch to type-gyr.tex should help:

-\starttypescript[serif][palatino][ec,texnansi,cs,el,qx,rm,t5,t2a,t2b,t2c,l7x]
+\starttypescript[serif][palatino,pagella][ec,texnansi,cs,el,qx,rm,t5,t2a,t2b,t2c,l7x]

(you can't define a typeface for an undefined typescript).

Hans doesn't like avantgarde, so for you adventor you will have
to create a completely new typescript, as it was never previously
defined in the core.

Cheers,
Taco

> pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file ec.map): cannot open font map file
> fonts           : using map file: special
> {/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/map/fontname/special.map

FYI: This is *not* a font map file, despite it's name. The loading gets
triggered by mistake due to this line in type-ini.tex:

\usetypescript[#3,\t!map][#4][\t!name,\t!default,\typefaceencoding,\t!special]%

* Re: adventor
@ 2007-08-06  8:01   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-08-06  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 4, 2007, at 11:45 PM, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:

>>> I have some problems useing the font adventor from gyre project.
>>> After downloading the fonts and the context map-files from the
>>> gyre-site, I tried the following:
>>>
>>> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
>>>
>>> \definetypeface[adventor][ss][sans][adventor][default][encoding=ec]
>>> \setupbodyfont[adventor,ss,9pt]
>>> \starttext
>>> \ss Bla
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> but I get
>>>
>>> ! Font \*adventor12ptsstfss*:=TeXGyreAdventor-Regular at 12.0pt
>>> not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.

I had a look at the typescripts and the mapfiles, and I think I see
why your approach isn't working. All tex-gyre fonts are only defined
in terms of a [serif] typescript (line 52-66 of type-gyr.tex). So I
tried to change your minimal example to this:

\usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]

\definetypeface[adventor][rm][serif][adventor][default][encoding=ec]
\setupbodyfont[adventor,ss,9pt]
\starttext
\ss Bla
\stoptext

However, I now get hundreds of warnings in my log (attached below). I
can't pinpoint it, but it looks like ConTeXt is looking for a file
qag-name.map which isn't there. Upon further investigation: I get
these warnings whenever I use one of the new tex-gyre font names. So
defining a typeface like this:

\definetypeface[main][rm][serif][palatino][default][encoding=ec]
\setupbodyfont[main,9pt]

works wonderfully. Defining it like this

\definetypeface[main][rm][serif][pagella][default][encoding=ec]
\setupbodyfont[main,9pt]

should give the identical results, but triggers the warnings.

I must admit that I find this a bit frustrating. The tex-gyre font
project looks so promising, but users need a simpler syntax to use
the fonts (I know we want need this anymore with luatex, but it needs
to be fixed anyway).

All best

Thomas

pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file all-base.map): cannot open font map file
fonts           : using map file: qag-ec
{/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/tex-gyre/qag-
ec.map}
fonts           : using map file: qag-name

pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file qag-name.map): cannot open font map file
fonts           : using map file: default

pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file default.map): cannot open font map file
fonts           : using map file: ec

pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file ec.map): cannot open font map file
fonts           : using map file: special
{/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/map/fontname/special.map

pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/
map/fontn
ame/special.map): ambiguous entry for `@c': font file present but not
included,
  will be treated as font file not present

ame/special.map): invalid entry for `@c': unknown name `dec06' ignored

       [not found] <mailman.1.1186221601.22560.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-08-04 21:45 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2007-08-04 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hallo Luigi!

> > I have some problems useing the font adventor from gyre project.
> > After downloading the fonts and the context map-files from the
> > gyre-site, I tried the following:
> >
> > \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> >
> > \definetypeface[adventor][ss][sans][adventor][default][encoding=ec]
> > \setupbodyfont[adventor,ss,9pt]
> > \starttext
> > \ss Bla
> > \stoptext
> >
> > but I get
> >
> > ! Font \*adventor12ptsstfss*:=TeXGyreAdventor-Regular at 12.0pt
> > not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
>
> Did you install adventor with texfont ?

I tried both!

Because there were map-files for conTeXt at the gyre-site and a
typescript with ConTeXt, I thought I just have to copy everything to
the right place.

But obviously the gyre-map-files don't fit with the type-gyr script.

On the other site, installing the fonts with texfont works, but I
don't have found the trick to install the small caps variant, and the
naming is not yet the same as in type-gyr (I have to experiment a bit
with this!)

But I like to know, what I else have to do when installing these
fonts manuelly.

Wolfgang