* [OT]UK TeX FAQ, v3.17, released
@ 2007-11-08 20:39 luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-11-08 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

From
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes
"""
What is ConTeXt?

ConTeXt is a macro package developed by Hans Hagen of Pragma-Ade. ConTeXt is
a document-production system based, like LaTeX, on the TeX typesetting
system. Whereas LaTeX insulates the writer from typographical details,
ConTeXt takes a complementary approach by providing structured interfaces
for handling typography, including extensive support for colors,
backgrounds, hyperlinks, presentations, figure-text integration, and
conditional compilation. It gives the user extensive control over formatting
while making it easy to create new layouts and styles without learning the
TeX macro language. ConTeXt's unified design avoids the package clashes that
can happen with LaTeX.

ConTeXt also integrates MetaFun, a superset of MetaPost and a powerful
system for vector graphics. MetaFun can be used as a stand-alone system to
produce figures, but its strength lies in enhancing ConTeXt documents with
accurate graphic elements.

ConTeXt allows the users to specify formatting commands in English, Dutch,
German, French, or Italian, and to use different typesetting engines
(PDFTeX, XeTeX, Aleph, and soon LuaTeX) without changing the user interface.
ConTeXt is developed rapidly, often in response to requests from the user
community.

*ConTeXt doesn't yet have quite such a large developer community as does
LaTeX, but those developers who are active seem to have prodigious
energy.*Support is available via a WIKI site and via the mailing list.
*
*""""
(my bold-italic)
Thank you very much ,
Mr.  Fairbairns

--
luigi

* Re: [OT]UK TeX FAQ, v3.17, released
@ 2007-11-09 15:18 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-11-09 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, luigi scarso wrote:

> From
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes
> """
> What is ConTeXt?
>
> ConTeXt is a macro package developed by Hans Hagen of Pragma-Ade. ConTeXt is
> a document-production system based, like LaTeX, on the TeX typesetting
> system. Whereas LaTeX insulates the writer from typographical details,
> ConTeXt takes a complementary approach by providing structured interfaces
> for handling typography, including extensive support for colors,
> backgrounds, hyperlinks, presentations, figure-text integration, and
> conditional compilation. It gives the user extensive control over formatting
> while making it easy to create new layouts and styles without learning the
> TeX macro language. ConTeXt's unified design avoids the package clashes that
> can happen with LaTeX.
>
> ConTeXt also integrates MetaFun, a superset of MetaPost and a powerful
> system for vector graphics. MetaFun can be used as a stand-alone system to
> produce figures, but its strength lies in enhancing ConTeXt documents with
> accurate graphic elements.
>
> ConTeXt allows the users to specify formatting commands in English, Dutch,
> German, French, or Italian, and to use different typesetting engines
> (PDFTeX, XeTeX, Aleph, and soon LuaTeX) without changing the user interface.
> ConTeXt is developed rapidly, often in response to requests from the user
> community.
>
> *ConTeXt doesn't yet have quite such a large developer community as does
> LaTeX, but those developers who are active seem to have prodigious
> energy.*Support is available via a WIKI site and via the mailing list.
> *
> *""""
> (my bold-italic)
> Thank you very much ,
> Mr.  Fairbairns

I had sent this updated writeup on ConTeXt to Robin, I think, almost a
year ago when there was a discussion on the mailing list about the writeup
for Debian. IIRC, most of it was written by Idrid and Sanjoy.

Aditya

* Re: [OT]UK TeX FAQ, v3.17, released
@ 2007-11-09 21:00   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-11-09 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 9, 2007 4:18 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> I had sent this updated writeup on ConTeXt to Robin, I think, almost a
> year ago when there was a discussion on the mailing list about the writeup
> for Debian. IIRC, most of it was written by Idrid and Sanjoy.
>
> Aditya

*"""
ConTeXt doesn't yet have quite such a large developer community as does
LaTeX, but those developers who are active seem to have prodigious energy **
*""""
and in particularly Aditya,Idris and Sanjoy.
:)))

--

@ 2007-11-10  0:32     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-11-10  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)