* Project file structure
@ 2007-12-10 20:36 Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2007-12-10 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

I know that ConTeXt looks for files *higher*in the directory tree when
it doesn't find them. But is there a way to tell ConTeXt to
specifically look for files lower in the tree? One of my project - a
dictionary - will involve thousands of component files, as the best
way to manage its production is to keep every entry in an individual
component file. But I'm a sucker for orderly and clean directories.
I'd really like to group all my stuff into several subdirectories,
below my main file. :-)

Is it possible, or am I grasping at straws here?
Thanks!
Jeff

* Re: Project file structure
@ 2007-12-10 22:38 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-10 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Smith wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I know that ConTeXt looks for files *higher*in the directory tree when
> it doesn't find them. But is there a way to tell ConTeXt to
> specifically look for files lower in the tree? One of my project - a
> dictionary - will involve thousands of component files, as the best
> way to manage its production is to keep every entry in an individual
> component file. But I'm a sucker for orderly and clean directories.
> I'd really like to group all my stuff into several subdirectories,
> below my main file. :-)
>
> Is it possible, or am I grasping at straws here?

in mkiv we can consider such a feature because we no longer depend on kpse

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Project file structure
@ 2007-12-11  0:07   ` Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2007-12-11  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 10, 2007 5:38 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> in mkiv we can consider such a feature because we no longer depend on kpse
>
> Hans

That would be great. :-) I've been sticking with mkii+XeTeX but that
would be enough for me to make the switch, whenever it's advisable
(say, when it's considered "production ready") and if I can
fundamentally keep my older stuff as is (not sure about that).

Jeff

* Re: Project file structure
@ 2007-12-11  9:39 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-11  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/12/10, Jeff Smith <ascarel@gmail.com>:
> Hi all!
>
> I know that ConTeXt looks for files *higher*in the directory tree when
> it doesn't find them. But is there a way to tell ConTeXt to
> specifically look for files lower in the tree? One of my project - a
> dictionary - will involve thousands of component files, as the best
> way to manage its production is to keep every entry in an individual
> component file. But I'm a sucker for orderly and clean directories.
> I'd really like to group all my stuff into several subdirectories,
> below my main file. :-)
>
> Is it possible, or am I grasping at straws here?
> Thanks!
> Jeff

You can set subdirectories with \usepath and \usesubpath.

Wolfgang

* Re: Project file structure
@ 2007-12-11 16:52   ` Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2007-12-11 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 11, 2007 4:39 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> You can set subdirectories with \usepath and \usesubpath.
>
> Wolfgang

Oh, wow, that does the work too! Marvelous. I found how they worked in
very old posts... 2003! I didn't even know about *LaTeX* at this time.
;-)

Thanks a lot. You guys are the best user manual ever!
Jeff

* Re: Project file structure
@ 2007-12-11 21:31     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-11 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Smith wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2007 4:39 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> You can set subdirectories with \usepath and \usesubpath.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Oh, wow, that does the work too! Marvelous. I found how they worked in
> very old posts... 2003! I didn't even know about *LaTeX* at this time.
> ;-)
>
> Thanks a lot. You guys are the best user manual ever!

just for fun i implemented

\input tree://one/two/three/four.tex
\input tree://one/**/four.tex

but only in mkiv