On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote: > > Hi Lars, > > Lars Huttar wrote: > >> Hello, >> >> We've been using TeX to typeset a 1200-page book, and at that size, the >> time it takes to run becomes a big issue (especially with multiple >> passes... about 8 on average). It takes us anywhere from 80 minutes on >> our fastest machine, to 9 hours on our slowest laptop. >> > > You should not need an average of 8 runs unless your document is > ridiculously complex and I am curious what you are doing (but that > is a different issue from what you are asking). > > So the question comes up, can TeX runs take advantage of parallelized or >> distributed processing? >> > > No. For the most part, this is because of another requisite: for > applications to make good use of threads, they have to deal with a > problem that can be parallelized well. And generally speaking, > typesetting does not fall in this category. A seemingly small change > on page 4 can easily affect each and every page right to the end > of the document. > Also 3.11 Theory of page breaking www.cs.utk.edu/~eijkhout/594-LaTeX/handouts/TeX%20LaTeX%20*course*.pdf -- luigi