On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Bart C. Wise wrote: > On Tue January 20 2009 7:06:58 am Henning Hraban Ramm wrote: > > 2009/1/20 Bart C. Wise : > > > I talked to the publisher again and he said that he would send me the > > > exact error message, but I have not received it yet. But he did say > that > > > his printing shop wants the ability to download just the header > > > information from a pdf rather than the whole pdf file which may be up > to > > > 80 mbytes. From that header information they will have the ability to > > > render individual pages rather than the whole document. For example, > > > they could request page 264 and render that single page as a jpeg. > > > > This sounds like "web optimized" PDFs, those contain a second object > > index at the start ("normal" PDFs have it at the end), so a *browser* > > can request selected pages from the *webserver* without loading the > > whole document. > > > > It's meant as a web technology, and I never heard of anyone using it > > in a print workflow. But it's not impossible. > > > > > > Tha has *nothing* to do with tagged PDF! > > "Tagged" is a technology to enable re-flowing text contents to e.g. > > small devices or extracting of content for alternative readers, e.g. > > screenreaders. > > PDFs for print should *not* be tagged in this way, for it can confuse > > a print workflow. > > > > Printshops should adhere to printing standards like PDF/X-1a and > > PDF/X-3 - and these never need web optimization or tagging! > > Excuse the ignorance, but does LuaTeX produce a PDF based on the PDF/X-1a > and > PDF/X-3 standards? > For ghostscript http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/svn/Ps2pdf.htm for pdftex http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/pdfx I'm not sure if luatex can produce these kind of pdf -- luigi