* epstopdf oddity?
@ 2009-03-13 11:57 Marko Schütz
From: Marko Schütz @ 2009-03-13 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear All,

I have some small diagrams I created with MetaPost in 2005. Just
recently I wanted to re-run the build of the PDF. It produced a PDF
but the typography looks awful. so I compared (diff) with the previous
intermediate files and found that the EPS files produced by the mpost
run are identical up to timestamps and that it's only the last step
epstopdf that uglifies the output. I'm suspecting the fault to be with
the ghostscript or the font installation. Maybe someone here has seen
this and knows the fix?

One of the diagrams is below.

Thanks for all hints and best regards,

Marko

verbatimtex
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
etex;

defaultfont := "eurm10";
defaultscale := 10pt /fontsize defaultfont;
prologues := 2;
input mp-tool;
input mp-spec;
input boxes;
input trees;
def_nonterminal(lam, btex \texttt{function} $:: \alpha$ etex);
def_nonterminal(app, btex @ $:: \alpha$ etex);
def_terminal(fun, btex \texttt{exp}$_1$ $:: \beta$ etex);
def_terminal(exp, btex \texttt{exp}$_2$ $:: \gamma$ etex);
def_terminal(two, btex \texttt{2} etex);
def_terminal(times, btex \texttt{(*)} etex);
def_terminal(varx, btex \texttt{arg} $:: \beta$ etex);

beginfig(2);
  app.root(fun, exp);
  drawtrees(root);
endfig;

end;

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: epstopdf oddity?
@ 2009-03-13 12:06 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-03-13 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Marko Schütz <MarkoSchuetz@web.de> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have some small diagrams I created with MetaPost in 2005. Just
> recently I wanted to re-run the build of the PDF. It produced a PDF
> but the typography looks awful. so I compared (diff) with the previous
> intermediate files and found that the EPS files produced by the mpost
> run are identical up to timestamps and that it's only the last step
> epstopdf that uglifies the output. I'm suspecting the fault to be with
> the ghostscript or the font installation. Maybe someone here has seen
> this and knows the fix?
Can you also try with epstpdf of latest TeXLive ?
or see here
http://www.mail-archive.com/ctan-ann@dante.de/msg02109.html

--
luigi

* Re: epstopdf oddity?
@ 2009-03-16 18:10   ` Marko Schütz
From: Marko Schütz @ 2009-03-16 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Luigi,

At Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:06:56 +0100,
luigi scarso wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Marko Schütz <MarkoSchuetz@web.de> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have some small diagrams I created with MetaPost in 2005. Just
> > recently I wanted to re-run the build of the PDF. It produced a PDF
> > but the typography looks awful. so I compared (diff) with the previous
> > intermediate files and found that the EPS files produced by the mpost
> > run are identical up to timestamps and that it's only the last step
> > epstopdf that uglifies the output. I'm suspecting the fault to be with
> > the ghostscript or the font installation. Maybe someone here has seen
> > this and knows the fix?
> Can you also try with epstpdf of latest TeXLive ?
> or see here
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ctan-ann@dante.de/msg02109.html

thank you very much for the hint. Unfortunately, that did not solve
the problem.

It turns out I guessed right: the problem was with ghostscript and
font installation. Ghostscript was not knowing about the type1 fonts
in the tex installation.

I found Fontmap.cmr on CTAN and its instructions helped me solve the
problem.

Marko

@ 2009-03-16 19:02     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-03-16 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/3/16 Marko Schütz <MarkoSchuetz@web.de>:
> Dear Luigi,
>
> At Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:06:56 +0100,
> luigi scarso wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Marko Schütz <MarkoSchuetz@web.de> wrote:
>> > Dear All,
>> >
>> > I have some small diagrams I created with MetaPost in 2005. Just
>> > recently I wanted to re-run the build of the PDF. It produced a PDF
>> > but the typography looks awful. so I compared (diff) with the previous
>> > intermediate files and found that the EPS files produced by the mpost
>> > run are identical up to timestamps and that it's only the last step
>> > epstopdf that uglifies the output. I'm suspecting the fault to be with
>> > the ghostscript or the font installation. Maybe someone here has seen
>> > this and knows the fix?
>> Can you also try with epstpdf of latest TeXLive ?
>> or see here
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/ctan-ann@dante.de/msg02109.html
>
> thank you very much for the hint. Unfortunately, that did not solve
> the problem.
>
> It turns out I guessed right: the problem was with ghostscript and
> font installation. Ghostscript was not knowing about the type1 fonts
> in the tex installation.
>
> I found Fontmap.cmr on CTAN and its instructions helped me solve the
> problem.
ok

Are you sure that it'a appropriate for  this mailling list ?
It seems more a latex problem than a context mkii /mkiv minimals problem .

Or, how do you do it in context mkiv ?

--
luigi