* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-01 18:18 ivo welch
From: ivo welch @ 2009-07-01 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

is there also a way to determine the current output page number on which
typesetting is currently being made?  (I know this is a difficult problem in
LaTeX, and I presume the same is the case for ConTeXt, because it uses the
same underlying TeX engine.)

/iaw

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-01 18:40 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-01 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

ivo welch wrote:
> is there also a way to determine the current output page number on which
> typesetting is currently being made?  (I know this is a difficult problem in
> LaTeX, and I presume the same is the case for ConTeXt, because it uses the
> same underlying TeX engine.)

\realpageno
\userpageno
\subpageno

of course it depends on the pagebreak so the other ways is to use the
referencing mechanism

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-07-02 21:52 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-07-02 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Did you take a look at the thread
     "How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number in the
ConTeXt Source?"
from yesterday?

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 20:18, ivo welch wrote:

> Current File Name
There's \jobname, but if you read from other files this won't help you.

> Line Number
I don't know of any way, but TeX sometimes complains on errors and
outputs the line number along. I could imagine an ugly hack: to
trigger an artificial error, read the line number, ignore that number
and continue ... but I don't know if that's doable. Another ugly hack
would be "talking to synctex". SyncTeX definitely knows the current
line number and file name, but I don't know if there's a way to fetch
those variables back to TeX. In any case it's probably something
that's equally difficult in ConTeXt than in plain TeX.

On the other hand, in LuaTeX there might exist elegant solutions.

> AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?

What do you mean by "page number in ConTeXt source"?

> is there also a way to determine the current output page number on which
> typesetting is currently being made?

See Hans' response.

> (I know this is a difficult problem in
> LaTeX, and I presume the same is the case for ConTeXt, because it uses the
> same underlying TeX engine.)

... but LuaTeX simplifies matters a lot. In LuaTeX that should be doable.

Mojca

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  6:56   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-07-03  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>> Line Number
> I don't know of any way, but TeX sometimes complains on errors and
> outputs the line number along.

There is \inputlineno in TeX, so  \the\inputlineno or the lua
equivalent \ctxlua{tex.inputlineno} will work.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  7:05     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-03  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>

>>  Line Number
>>>
>> I don't know of any way, but TeX sometimes complains on errors and
>> outputs the line number along.
>>

> There is \inputlineno in TeX, so  \the\inputlineno or the lua
> equivalent \ctxlua{tex.inputlineno} will work.

The problem is exactly locate the error in source .
Sometimes the errorline  of the log are in someway imprecise , ie. "the
errors is (are)
around here " .

--
luigi

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  7:14       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-07-03  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com
> <mailto:taco@elvenkind.com>> wrote:
>
>     Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>

>             Line Number
>
>         I don't know of any way, but TeX sometimes complains on errors and
>         outputs the line number along.
>

>     There is \inputlineno in TeX, so  \the\inputlineno or the lua
>     equivalent \ctxlua{tex.inputlineno} will work.
>
> The problem is exactly locate the error in source .
> Sometimes the errorline  of the log are in someway imprecise , ie. "the
> errors is (are)
> around here " .

Yeah, that can't be helped (unless you don't do multi-line paragraphs
nor macros)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  7:30         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-03  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> luigi scarso wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com
> > <mailto:taco@elvenkind.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> >

> >             Line Number
> >
> >         I don't know of any way, but TeX sometimes complains on errors
> and
> >         outputs the line number along.
> >

> >     There is \inputlineno in TeX, so  \the\inputlineno or the lua
> >     equivalent \ctxlua{tex.inputlineno} will work.
> >
> > The problem is exactly locate the error in source .
> > Sometimes the errorline  of the log are in someway imprecise , ie. "the
> > errors is (are)
> > around here " .
>
> Yeah, that can't be helped (unless you don't do multi-line paragraphs
> nor macros)

we need something like a stack trace;
also a lua "try/except" construct should be nice .
--
luigi

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  7:33           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-07-03  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:

> we need something like a stack trace;
> also a lua "try/except" construct should be nice .

stack trace of tex?

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  7:44             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-03  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> luigi scarso wrote:
> >
> > we need something like a stack trace;
> > also a lua "try/except" construct should be nice .
>
> stack trace of tex?

No no, sorry -- I mean traceback, something like  this
Traceback (innermost last):
  Module OFS.ObjectManager, line 569, in manage_exportObject
  Module OFS.XMLExportImport, line 56, in exportXML
  Module OFS.XMLExportImport, line 31, in XMLrecord
  Module Shared.DC.xml.ppml, line 263, in load
  Module pickle, line 872, in load
  Module Shared.DC.xml.ppml, line 418, in load_binput
AttributeError: 'unicode' object has no attribute 'id'

--
luigi

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  7:47               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-07-03  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:

> No no, sorry -- I mean traceback, something like  this
> Traceback (innermost last):

Yeah, I though so. Repeat question: for TeX (macros)?

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  7:51                 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-03  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> luigi scarso wrote:
> >
> > No no, sorry -- I mean traceback, something like  this
> > Traceback (innermost last):
>
> Yeah, I though so.

ok

> Repeat question: for TeX (macros)?

Is it impossible ?

--
luigi

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  8:06                   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-07-03  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:

>     Repeat question: for TeX (macros)?
>
> Is it impossible ?

Right now: yes. Later: doable.

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  8:13                     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-03  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> luigi scarso wrote:
> >
> >     Repeat question: for TeX (macros)?
> >
> > Is it impossible ?
>
> Right now: yes. Later: doable.

So doable .
Given that I like to lost in code, where should I start to look ?

--
luigi

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  8:18                       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-07-03  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com
> <mailto:taco@elvenkind.com>> wrote:
>

>     luigi scarso wrote:
>     >
>     >     Repeat question: for TeX (macros)?
>     >
>     > Is it impossible ?
>
>     Right now: yes. Later: doable.
>
> So doable .
> Given that I like to lost in code, where should I start to look ?

Not now, you will need a bit of luatex interfacing that is not
programmed yet.

* Re: How to Determine the Current File Name and Line Number AND PAGE NUMBER in the ConTeXt Source?
@ 2009-07-03  8:24                         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-07-03  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)