* pdfs with boxes instead of letters
@ 2009-10-28 23:38 Michael Green
From: Michael Green @ 2009-10-28 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

When I open the pdfs that I make with ConTeXt (II or IV), I often see
x'd out boxes instead of letters. I'm writing in the hopes that
someone has some ideas about what I might do.

Here is some more specific information about what happens

1. I have posted a jpeg of a representative page: http://carneades.pomona.edu/test/badpdf.jpg

2. The problem comes up when the pdf viewer is either Apple's Preview
or Skim (which, as I understand it, uses the same basic code). This
happens on machines with both OSX 10.4 PPC and 10.5 Intel.

3. It happens with a wide variety of fonts.

4. When opened with one of Adobe's pdf readers (Adobe Reader, Acrobat
Pro), the file always looks fine.

5. Opening and closing the file can make the problem parts change. So,
for instance, opening and closing the file can make it so that roman
letters show while italic letters are crossed boxes or vice versa.
Usually, if I do this enough, I can get to a normal view with all
letters looking like letters.

6. It started happening in the spring. (I've been hoping it would go
away in the normal course of ConTeXt changes.)

One obvious answer is just to use Adobe's software. That won't work
for me because those programs cannot successfully send a file to
either of the printers I have available here. (They also don't
automatically update when a file changes, which is a nuisance.)

So I have a dilemma. If I want to print, I have to use the Apple and
Apple-derived software. If I want to see letters, I have to use the
Adobe software. But I cannot do both.

I doubt this is a ConTeXt specific problem, but hope there might be a
solution through ConTeXt. More generally, I would be terrifically
grateful for any ideas about what to do. Thank you for your time.

Michael

* Re: pdfs with boxes instead of letters
@ 2009-10-28 23:49 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-10-28 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Hello,

> 3. It happens with a wide variety of fonts.
>
> 4. When opened with one of Adobe's pdf readers (Adobe Reader, Acrobat
> Pro), the file always looks fine.

  That's extremely odd.  Can you send a sample PDF file (along with the source
code) for us to inspect it?  I'm using Mac OS 10.5 on Intel, so I'd like to
confirm the behaviour you report.

> 5. Opening and closing the file can make the problem parts change. So,
> for instance, opening and closing the file can make it so that roman
> letters show while italic letters are crossed boxes or vice versa.
> Usually, if I do this enough, I can get to a normal view with all
> letters looking like letters.

  That really doesn't make sense at all.  Sounds like a problem with the Apple
code analyzing the PDF file, but I've never observed such a bizarre behaviour
myself, and I use mostly Preview on the Mac to view PDFs.

	Arthur

* Re: pdfs with boxes instead of letters
@ 2009-10-28 23:56 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-10-28 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Michael Green <merely.ridiculous@gmail.com
> wrote:

> When I open the pdfs that I make with ConTeXt (II or IV), I often see x'd
> out boxes instead of letters. I'm writing in the hopes that someone has some
> ideas about what I might do.
>
> Here is some more specific information about what happens
>
> 1. I have posted a jpeg of a representative page:
> http://carneades.pomona.edu/test/badpdf.jpg
>
> 2. The problem comes up when the pdf viewer is either Apple's Preview or
> Skim (which, as I understand it, uses the same basic code). This happens on
> machines with both OSX 10.4 PPC and 10.5 Intel.
>
> 3. It happens with a wide variety of fonts.
>
> 4. When opened with one of Adobe's pdf readers (Adobe Reader, Acrobat Pro),
> the file always looks fine.
>
> 5. Opening and closing the file can make the problem parts change. So, for
> instance, opening and closing the file can make it so that roman letters
> show while italic letters are crossed boxes or vice versa. Usually, if I do
> this enough, I can get to a normal view with all letters looking like
> letters.
>
> 6. It started happening in the spring. (I've been hoping it would go away
> in the normal course of ConTeXt changes.)
>
> One obvious answer is just to use Adobe's software. That won't work for me
> because those programs cannot successfully send a file to either of the
> printers I have available here. (They also don't automatically update when a
> file changes, which is a nuisance.)
>
> So I have a dilemma. If I want to print, I have to use the Apple and
> Apple-derived software. If I want to see letters, I have to use the Adobe
> software. But I cannot do both.
>
> I doubt this is a ConTeXt specific problem, but hope there might be a
> solution through ConTeXt. More generally, I would be terrifically grateful
> for any ideas about what to do. Thank you for your time.
>
> I don't  know, and I have not a Mac either.
But you can try with
\pdfminorversion=4
\pdfobjcompresslevel=0
\pdfcompresslevel=0
at the beginnig of your tex source

--
luigi

* Re: pdfs with boxes instead of letters
@ 2009-10-30 23:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-10-30 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Michael Green wrote:
>>
>> Question: is this still a problem for luatex 0.44? (Please say no).
>
> I applied a patch tagged 'Melissa O'Neill' on March 22 (included as
> of luatex-0.36.0), which I think is the one this is about.

dicks article also mentioned a check/fix for missing returns in
subroutines i.e. bugged fonts (so the problems are also related to
bugged fonts); quite interesting summary esp the fact that there were
bugged fonts on tex live

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-10-30 22:14   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-10-30 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Green wrote:

> Question: is this still a problem for luatex 0.44? (Please say no).

I applied a patch tagged 'Melissa O'Neill' on March 22 (included as
of luatex-0.36.0), which I think is the one this is about.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: pdfs with boxes instead of letters
@ 2009-10-30 22:02   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-10-30 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 22:41, Michael Green wrote:

> One other question. which pdftex shows that it's in the minimal distribution
>
> They released a patch for this problem in April 2009. Specifically, they
> patched the binary files dvips and pdftex
>
> Have these patches been applied to the versions of dvips and pdftex in the
> minimals?

Not for dvips for a simple reason. It's not in minimals. The sources
for minimals contain the latest stable pdftex branch (that's returning
errors during compilation at the moment).

The exact pdftex version depends on whether some particular maintainer
has already recompiled the binaries or not, but you can check on
http://svn.contextgarden.net/minimals/bin/tex/ if curious. In case of
Mac that's SVN #578, while the version in repository is #581.

> If not, is there any reason why I shouldn't substitute these
> patched versions for the ones in the minimals?

They may be older than the ones in minimals (and they will be
overwritten if you don't put them to the right place). I don't know
any details about LuaTeX. (I would assume that Taco did apply the
patch, but I don't know details.)

> Source for the patch:
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/fontcache/
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/fontcache/patchedbinaries.tar.gz

Mojca

PS: I admire the discovery of the bug, but some PDFs that Mathematica
generates manage to crash even Safari when trying to attach the
document and many of my own (manually generated) EPS images are pure
crap when viewed with Preview ... TeX seems innocent in comparison ...
:)

* pdfs with boxes instead of letters
       [not found] <mailman.169.1256921249.22155.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-30 21:41 ` Michael Green
From: Michael Green @ 2009-10-30 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Oct 30, 2009, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:

> Well, if your engine is pdftex (from an unpatched TeXLive 2008) then
> chances are you're running into the nasty (TM) font cache bug:
>
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/fontcache/
>
> Oliver

One other question. which pdftex shows that it's in the minimal
distribution

They released a patch for this problem in April 2009. Specifically,
they patched the binary files dvips and pdftex

Have these patches been applied to the versions of dvips and pdftex in
the minimals? If not, is there any reason why I shouldn't substitute
these patched versions for the ones in the minimals?

Thanks.

mjg

@ 2009-10-30 21:07 ` Michael Green
From: Michael Green @ 2009-10-30 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Oct 30, 2009, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:

> > I seem to have spoken too soon. The very next document I prepared
> > had the same boxes-rather-than-letters problem.
> >
> > That said, I cleared the font caches again and, after restarting,
> > the document looked correct. Perhaps this is a coincidence. Or
> > perhaps there is something amiss with the way my computers are
> > caching fonts. Sigh.
>
> Well, if your engine is pdftex (from an unpatched TeXLive 2008) then
> chances are you're running into the nasty (TM) font cache bug:
>
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/fontcache/
>
> Oliver

The symptoms seem right: strange, unpredictable display problems with
Apple's pdf software but not Adobe's. And it's not just pdftex,
apparently. They say that luatex is affected too. That's primarily
what I use. So we have both known symptoms (sort of - they're vague)
and an allegedly known cause. Perhaps we have a diagnosis.

Here is Dick Koch, "A Fix for the Corrupt Font Cache Bug"

http://www.tug.org/mactex/fontcache/Font-Cache-Bugfix.pdf

> The “corrupt font cache bug” on OS X has been traced by Melissa
> O’Neill to a bug in  pdftex, present in that program since 2004.
> The incorrect code is also used in other  programs, notably dvips,
> luatex, and metapost.  …
>
> The code containing the pdftex bug was used with little change in
> modern versions of  dvips, so fixing the bug in dvips was not
> difficult. However, it wasn’t so easy to find the  corresponding
> code in luatex and metapost. Instead of waiting for decisive fixes
> in these  programs, we decided to just release the fixed pdftex and
> dvips. This should fix the bug  for most users. Notice that pdftex
> is used when typesetting in “pdftex” mode and dvips  is used when
> typesetting in “TeX and DVI” mode. XeTeX does not have the bug.

And in another document, "Looking over the Debugger’s Shoulders ",
Koch summarizes what they discovered this way:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/fontcache/Debugging.pdf

> Two bugs contributed to the problem. First, pdftex, dvips, luatex,
> and metapost were  not correctly subsetting certain fonts. And
> second, a large number of fonts contained  subroutines which did not
> conclude with a RETURN command. Many of these were  created with the
> utility mmpfb, which has been patched.

Question: is this still a problem for luatex 0.44? (Please say no).

If not, perhaps I should clean my caches and use only MkII/XeTeX.

Even then, I gather that old documents created with luatex will still
be little time bombs (see Appendix, below). I guess I have to delete
all pdfs made by luatex and regenerate them as needed. That's a lot of
documents.

"Nasty" is right. Oy.

mjg

Appendix: Koch's explanation of why the font cache might become
corrupt seemingly for no reason at all.

@ 2009-10-30 18:02   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-10-30 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] <mailman.1.1256814003.16889.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-29 22:37 ` Michael Green
From: Michael Green @ 2009-10-29 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2009-10-29 16:55 ` Michael Green
From: Michael Green @ 2009-10-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2009-10-29 11:34     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-10-29 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The PDFs look OK here with both Preview and Skim. I would try to
> delete the font cache on your computer and restart it.

  That indeed sounds like a reasonable cause.  Well spotted, Mojca!  :-)

	Arthur

* Re: pdfs with boxes instead of letters
@ 2009-10-29 11:05     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-10-29 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.10.2009 um 11:56 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> The PDFs look OK here with both Preview and Skim. I would try to
> delete the font cache on your computer and restart it.
>
> Use google, I'm not sure that I still remember how this should be
> done. Some untested sample links:
>    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071026081555971
>    http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/garbled_font_fix_corrupt_font_cache.html
>    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/167/tn_16763.html

Another method that don't require an extra program:
http://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/2009-September/041310.html

Wolfgang

* Re: pdfs with boxes instead of letters
@ 2009-10-29 10:56   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-10-29 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2009-10-29  0:29   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-10-29  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Extremely odd, doesn't make any sense, bizarre ... that's pretty much what
> I think.
>
> The pdf that I took a picture of and the source that produced it are in a
> zip file at this address:
>
> http://carneades.pomona.edu/test/badpdf-source.zip
>
> If you're willing to have a look, that would be great.

It looks ok in my lunux box
with xpdf, acroread 9 , evince, kghostview

--
luigi

* pdfs with boxes instead of letters
       [not found] <mailman.138.1256773107.22155.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-29  0:21 ` Michael Green
From: Michael Green @ 2009-10-29  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Oct 28, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>     Hello,
>
> > 3. It happens with a wide variety of fonts.
> >
> > 4. When opened with one of Adobe's pdf readers (Adobe Reader,
> Acrobat
> > Pro), the file always looks fine.
>
> That's extremely odd. Can you send a sample PDF file (along with the
> source
> code) for us to inspect it? I'm using Mac OS 10.5 on Intel, so I'd
> like to
> confirm the behaviour you report.
>
> > 5. Opening and closing the file can make the problem parts change.
> So,
> > for instance, opening and closing the file can make it so that roman
> > letters show while italic letters are crossed boxes or vice versa.
> > Usually, if I do this enough, I can get to a normal view with all
> > letters looking like letters.
>
> That really doesn't make sense at all. Sounds like a problem with
> the Apple
> code analyzing the PDF file, but I've never observed such a bizarre
> behaviour
> myself, and I use mostly Preview on the Mac to view PDFs.
>
>     Arthur

Extremely odd, doesn't make any sense, bizarre ... that's pretty much
what I think.

The pdf that I took a picture of and the source that produced it are
in a zip file at this address:

http://carneades.pomona.edu/test/badpdf-source.zip

If you're willing to have a look, that would be great.

You may not see what I do. I walked down the hall and had someone else
print this file earlier today. It looked fine using his copy of
Preview (though he said he has seen something like what I reported in
other cases). I'm mystified.