* Producing PDF x/1-a:2001 output.
@ 2009-10-30 15:48 John Culleton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Culleton @ 2009-10-30 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

At least two commercial printers that I use prefer or insist on the
format PDF X/1-a:2001 output. The only way I have found to
produce such in TeX without a pass through Adobe Acrobat
Distiller or the shareware program Pstill is via the package
pdfx.sty
authored by  CV Radhakrishnan  and  Han The Thanh. This in turn
uses some other files such as xmpincl.sty.

I wonder if this setup could be incorporated into some flavor of
Context?  Or even pdftex? I prefer not to live within the strictures
of pdflatex.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"

* Re: Producing PDF x/1-a:2001 output.
@ 2009-10-30 15:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-10-30 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton wrote:
> At least two commercial printers that I use prefer or insist on the
> format PDF X/1-a:2001 output. The only way I have found to
> produce such in TeX without a pass through Adobe Acrobat
> Distiller or the shareware program Pstill is via the package
> pdfx.sty
> authored by  CV Radhakrishnan  and  Han The Thanh. This in turn
> uses some other files such as xmpincl.sty.
>
> I wonder if this setup could be incorporated into some flavor of
> Context?  Or even pdftex? I prefer not to live within the strictures
> of pdflatex.

what exactly needs to be added then? if you can figure that out it's no
bug deal to implement it (at least in mkiv as i don't want to touch mkii)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-10-30 16:03 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-10-30 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> At least two commercial printers that I use prefer or insist on the
> format PDF X/1-a:2001 output. The only way I have found to
> produce such in TeX without a pass through Adobe Acrobat
> Distiller or the shareware program Pstill is via the package
> pdfx.sty
> authored by  CV Radhakrishnan  and  Han The Thanh. This in turn
> uses some other files such as xmpincl.sty.
>
> I wonder if this setup could be incorporated into some flavor of
> Context?  Or even pdftex? I prefer not to live within the strictures
> of pdflatex.

is not Ghostscript  OK ?
(I have seen http://www.ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-devel/2009-September/008566.html)
--
luigi

* Re: Producing PDF x/1-a:2001 output.
@ 2009-10-30 16:27 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-10-30 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> At least two commercial printers that I use prefer or insist on the
> format PDF X/1-a:2001 output
""
We recommend using the `print' menu and choosing Adobe PDF
as the print driver (instructional PDF on our website). The default
conversion setting should be
changed from `Standard' to `PDF/X-1a:2001' (recommended) or the `High
Quality Print'
setting. This will help to ensure that ALL fonts are embedded
including Base 14 fonts.
It is also important to change the PDF page size from 8.5"x 11" to the
correct trim size you are using
to print. If left at the default size of `Letter', your text block
will center from left to right, but not top to
bottom­ causing your proof to print incorrectly and produce delays in
receiving a correct proof.
""

`High Quality Print' is also ammissible
https://www.lightningsource.com/ops/files/pod/LSI_FileCreationGuide.pdf
--
luigi

* Re: Producing PDF x/1-a:2001 output.
@ 2009-10-30 16:48   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2009-10-30 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Friday 30 October 2009 12:03:33 luigi scarso wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM, John Culleton
<john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > At least two commercial printers that I use prefer or insist on
the
> > format PDF X/1-a:2001 output. The only way I have found to
> > produce such in TeX without a pass through Adobe Acrobat
> > Distiller or the shareware program Pstill is via the package
> > pdfx.sty
> > authored by  CV Radhakrishnan  and  Han The Thanh. This in
turn
> > uses some other files such as xmpincl.sty.
> >
> > I wonder if this setup could be incorporated into some flavor
of
> > Context?  Or even pdftex? I prefer not to live within the
strictures
> > of pdflatex.
>
> is not Ghostscript  OK ?
> (I have seen
> http://www.ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-devel/2009-
September/008566.html)
Yes, I started that thread also.  It seems that the spec can be met
via Ghostscript. What is also needed is the internal labeling of the
file as pdf X/1-a:2001, and some xml add-ins.

The prepress staff will look at the file and if it is not labeled
correctly run it through Distiller, which can degrade text and
barcodes  by converting them to bitmaps.  LSI  handles hundreds
of pdf cover files each week, many of which are out of spec. If it
does not look  like X/1-a:2001 they will bitmap it, and in the
process mess it up to a degree, or so I am told.  So getting the file
within spec is necessary but it also has to look like it is in spec.
Their Customer Service Rep specifically mentioned Ghostscript as
producing non-acceptable pdf files.

This is not the only hoop to be leapt through in dealing with LSI.
they have a limit on total ink coverage that is more restrictive
than the usual formulation for CMYK rich black. They want only
%240 total coverage so I cobbled up  CMYK 60,40,40,100 which
adds up to 240%.  In brief, they are a royal pain. But they have a
near-monopoly on POD printing for bookstores in the US and their
pricing for Amazon beats anyone including Amazon's own subsidy
Createspace.

Hans:
The needed files and the documentation for pdfx.sty are located
here:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/pdfx/

The files in the package include:

README

glyphtounicode-cmr.tex

manifest.txt

pdfa-1b.xmp

pdfx-1a.xmp

pdfx.pdf

pdfx.sty

small2e.pdf

small2e.tex

small2e.xmpdata

--

@ 2009-10-30 18:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-10-30 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton wrote:

> The needed files and the documentation for pdfx.sty are located
> here:
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/pdfx/
>

> The files in the package include:
>

> README
> glyphtounicode-cmr.tex
> manifest.txt
> pdfa-1b.xmp
> pdfx-1a.xmp
> pdfx.pdf
> pdfx.sty
> small2e.pdf
> small2e.tex
> small2e.xmpdata

hm, so you want me to reverse engineer latex code ... (which probably
costs me more time than figuring it out from specs)

anyhow, from the filename i conclude that

- it has to do with unicode maps (is already supported)
- xmp data (this big xml blob in pdf files)

xmp is not yet supported but is probably as trivial (as it is useless);
i'll look it up in the spec

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-11-02 13:22       ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2009-11-02 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 30 October 2009 14:24:10 Hans Hagen wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > The needed files and the documentation for pdfx.sty are
located
> > here:
> > http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/pdfx/
> >

> > The files in the package include:
> >

> > README
> > glyphtounicode-cmr.tex
> > manifest.txt
> > pdfa-1b.xmp
> > pdfx-1a.xmp
> > pdfx.pdf
> > pdfx.sty
> > small2e.pdf
> > small2e.tex
> > small2e.xmpdata
>
> hm, so you want me to reverse engineer latex code ... (which
probably
> costs me more time than figuring it out from specs)
>
> anyhow, from the filename i conclude that
>
> - it has to do with unicode maps (is already supported)
> - xmp data (this big xml blob in pdf files)
>
> xmp is not yet supported but is probably as trivial (as it is
useless);
> i'll look it up in the spec
>
> Hans

The major thing about pdf x/1-a:2001 is that it limits what you can
do, for example no RGB, no transparencies as such, no layers and
file must be flattened. Fonts must be embedded but that is
required in any case.

The documentation for pdfx goes through the source section by
section and discusses what each does.

HTH
--

@ 2009-11-02 13:36         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-02 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton wrote:

> The documentation for pdfx goes through the source section by
> section and discusses what each does.

it's easier for me to preflight a file and see what acrobat reports

btw, things like color and fonts are easy as one can configure this; and
there might be a few additional resources needed but that's easy

in my experience the problem is more with embedded graphics and these
are out of our control

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-11-17 13:57           ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2009-11-17 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 02 November 2009 08:36:41 Hans Hagen wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > The documentation for pdfx goes through the source section
by
> > section and discusses what each does.
>
> it's easier for me to preflight a file and see what acrobat reports
>
> btw, things like color and fonts are easy as one can configure
this; and
> there might be a few additional resources needed but that's
easy

> in my experience the problem is more with embedded graphics
and these
> are out of our control
>
> Hans

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-
ade.com

>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

>________

There are two tasks for crating a PDF x/1-a:2001 file. First limits
must be imposed per the standard. Second the pdf file must
"look" like a PDF x1-a:2001 file to the printer and his software.
The tag at the top of the file is of course trivial. But there is some
xml code embedded also.

If a dummy file were created in e.g., pdf 1.4, and then a copy were
made in Distiller with PDF X/1-a:2001, then a differential analysis
could show out the elements (e.g., xml code) spelled out above.
In Linux I  would use the diff command but I don't think that is
available to Windows users.

Scribus will soon produce PDF X/1-a:2001 documents. It is already
a menu choice in the alpha version Scribus 1.5.0. But the code
behind the menu choice isn't in place yet.  When it is I will do a
diff run on two versions of the same file and see what is different.
--

@ 2009-11-17 16:05             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-17 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton wrote:

> There are two tasks for crating a PDF x/1-a:2001 file. First limits
> must be imposed per the standard. Second the pdf file must
> "look" like a PDF x1-a:2001 file to the printer and his software.
> The tag at the top of the file is of course trivial. But there is some
> xml code embedded also.

mkiv can include the xml blob but currently the code is disabled as we
need an uncompressed stream which currently is not possible at the lua
end (under construction) and i'm not going to write a temporary solution

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE