* Removing vertical space before heading within framed layer
@ 2009-12-26 19:04 Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-12-26 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi everyone,

slowly getting to grips with layer etc. However, some vertical space at the top of my framed layer appears whenever the first element is a heading:

---
\definelayer
    [text]
    [width=\paperwidth,
     height=\paperheight]

\setupbackgrounds
    [page]
    [background=text]

\startbuffer[test]
\subject{Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur, sadipisci\dots}
\input zapf
\stopbuffer

\setuphead
    [subject]
    [before=,
     after=,
     align=right]

\starttext

\setlayerframed
    [text]
    [x=1cm,
     y=3cm]
    [width=7cm,
     align=normal,
     offset=none]
    {\getbuffer[test]}

\page[empty]

\stoptext
---

How do I remove this space?

Best,
Oliver

* Re: Removing vertical space before heading within framed layer
@ 2009-12-26 19:18 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-12-26 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.12.2009 um 20:04 schrieb Oliver Buerschaper:

> Hi everyone,
>
> slowly getting to grips with layer etc. However, some vertical space at the top of my framed layer appears whenever the first element is a heading:

you can find in the details manual better ways to set heading texts with a layer

Wolfgang

* Re: Removing vertical space before heading within framed layer
@ 2009-12-26 21:41   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-12-26 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> slowly getting to grips with layer etc. However, some vertical space at the top of my framed layer appears whenever the first element is a heading:
>
> you can find in the details manual better ways to set heading texts with a layer

Well, actually I don't want to get a fancy heading using layers but rather I'd like to use layers like DTP text frames and fill them with (unnumbered) headings, paragraphs, formulas etc. Just like small pages I can position on the parent page arbitrarily.

The issue arises whenever a heading (say \subject) happens to be the first piece of material I put into a layer. Any ideas to get rid of the leading vertical space?

Actually, instead of a true heading I'd probably be fine with another command that gives me consistent style, line space, alignment, leading and trailing vertical space etc. After all, I'm going to use this in a poster, so I won't need an entry in the TOC, nor any markers, anchors to the "heading" etc.

@ 2009-12-26 21:52     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-12-26 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.12.2009 um 22:41 schrieb Oliver Buerschaper:

>>> slowly getting to grips with layer etc. However, some vertical space at the top of my framed layer appears whenever the first element is a heading:
>>
>> you can find in the details manual better ways to set heading texts with a layer
>
> Well, actually I don't want to get a fancy heading using layers but rather I'd like to use layers like DTP text frames and fill them with (unnumbered) headings, paragraphs, formulas etc. Just like small pages I can position on the parent page arbitrarily.
>
> The issue arises whenever a heading (say \subject) happens to be the first piece of material I put into a layer. Any ideas to get rid of the leading vertical space?
>
> Actually, instead of a true heading I'd probably be fine with another command that gives me consistent style, line space, alignment, leading and trailing vertical space etc. After all, I'm going to use this in a poster, so I won't need an entry in the TOC, nor any markers, anchors to the "heading" etc.

Why not just

\definedfont[TitleFont][Serif sa 3]

and

{\TitleFont

\startbuffer[test]
{\TitleFont Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur, sadipisci\unknown\par}

\input zapf
\stopbuffer

Wolfgang

* Re: Removing vertical space before heading within framed layer
@ 2009-12-26 22:18     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-12-26 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Oliver Buerschaper
<oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de> wrote:
>>> slowly getting to grips with layer etc. However, some vertical space at the top of my framed layer appears whenever the first element is a heading:
>>
>> you can find in the details manual better ways to set heading texts with a layer
>
> Well, actually I don't want to get a fancy heading using layers but rather I'd like to use layers like DTP text frames and fill them with (unnumbered) headings, paragraphs, formulas etc. Just like small pages I can position on the parent page arbitrarily.
>
> The issue arises whenever a heading (say \subject) happens to be the first piece of material I put into a layer. Any ideas to get rid of the leading vertical space?
>
> Actually, instead of a true heading I'd probably be fine with another command that gives me consistent style, line space, alignment, leading and trailing vertical space etc. After all, I'm going to use this in a poster, so I won't need an entry in the TOC, nor any markers, anchors to the "heading" etc.

my 1cent

\definelayer
   [text]
   [width=\paperwidth,
    height=\paperheight]

\setupbackgrounds
   [page]
   [background=text]
\definehead[Subject][section]
\setuphead[Subject][before=\vskip-2pt,number=no]

\startbuffer[test]
\Subject{Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur, sadipisci\dots}
\input zapf
\stopbuffer

\setuphead
   [subject]
   [before=,
    after=,
    align=right]

\starttext

\setlayerframed
   [text]
   [x=1cm,
    y=3cm]
   [width=7cm,
    align=normal,
    offset=overlay]
   {\getbuffer[test]}

\page[empty]

\stoptext

--
luigi

* Re: Removing vertical space before heading within framed layer
@ 2009-12-29 17:35       ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-12-29 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Why not just
>
> \definedfont[TitleFont][Serif sa 3]
>
> and
>
> {\TitleFont
>
> \startbuffer[test]
> {\TitleFont Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur, sadipisci\unknown\par}
>
> \input zapf
> \stopbuffer

You're right, that's a good way to go! I now have:

---
\definefont
    [TopicFont]
    [name:MyriadPro-Semibold*default at 48pt]
---

with the little typo corrected. Many thanks!

Oliver