* errors
@ 2017-09-25 17:19 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-09-25 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

At the context meeting there was a bit of discussion about error
messages. I looked into that a bit an ddecided to provide a summay
option. The following text:

\enabledirectives[logs.errors] % context --errors

\setupinteraction[state=start]

\environment is-not-there

\usemodule[x][foobar]

\starttext

\chapter[foo]{foo}

\in{foo}[foo]
\in{bar}[bar]

\chapter[bar]{bar}

\in{foo}[foo]
\in{bar}[bar]

\xmlload{main}{crapcrap.xml}{}

oeps \in{foo}[foo-a] oeps \char 999 \par
oeps \in{foo}[foo-a] oeps \char 995 \par
oeps \in{foo}[foo-b] oeps \char 991 \par

\externalfigure[dummy]

\dorecurse {10} {
     \samplefile{sapolsky}
     {\sl  \char 999 \char 995 \char 991}
     {\bf  \char 999 \char 995 \char 991}
     {\bfa \char 999 \char 995 \char 991}
     {\bfb \char 999 \char 995 \char 991}
     {\bfc \char 999 \char 995 \char 991}
     \par
}

\stoptext

will produce (at the end of a run):

system          > start missing files
system          >       tex  is-not-there
system          > stop missing files

modules         > start missing modules
modules         >       x-foobar
modules         > stop missing modules

lxml            > start problematic xml files
lxml            >    1  crapcrap.xml
lxml            > stop problematic xml files

references      > start missing references
references      >    4  [][foo-a]
references      >    2  [][foo-b]
references      > stop missing references

fonts           > start missing characters:
c:/data/develop/tex-context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-bold.otf
fonts           >   90  U+003DF  ϟ  GREEK SMALL LETTER KOPPA
fonts           >   90  U+003E3  ϣ  COPTIC SMALL LETTER SHEI
fonts           >   90  U+003E7  ϧ  COPTIC SMALL LETTER KHEI
fonts           > stop missing characters

fonts           > start missing characters:
c:/data/develop/tex-context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-bold.otf
fonts           >   10  U+003DF  ϟ  GREEK SMALL LETTER KOPPA
fonts           >   10  U+003E3  ϣ  COPTIC SMALL LETTER SHEI
fonts           >   10  U+003E7  ϧ  COPTIC SMALL LETTER KHEI
fonts           > stop missing characters

fonts           > start missing characters:
c:/data/develop/tex-context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman12-regular.otf
fonts           >    1  U+003DF  ϟ  GREEK SMALL LETTER KOPPA
fonts           >    1  U+003E3  ϣ  COPTIC SMALL LETTER SHEI
fonts           >    1  U+003E7  ϧ  COPTIC SMALL LETTER KHEI
fonts           > stop missing characters

fonts           > start missing characters:
c:/data/develop/tex-context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmromanslant12-regular.otf
fonts           >   10  U+003DF  ϟ  GREEK SMALL LETTER KOPPA
fonts           >   10  U+003E3  ϣ  COPTIC SMALL LETTER SHEI
fonts           >   10  U+003E7  ϧ  COPTIC SMALL LETTER KHEI
fonts           > stop missing characters

graphics        > start missing figures
graphics        >       dummy
graphics        > stop missing figures

In order to get the missing characters message we currently need to say

\enabletrackers[fonts.missing]

(which btw has some options, see manual)  but in a next update of luatex
you will get the log without this too.

Specially for Taco there is:

\enabledirectives[logs.errors=missing characters]

which will quit with an exit state 1 (given that he runs an upcoming
version of luatex).

It was not that trivial to achieve this but at least it's there (soon).

Hans

* Re: errors
@ 2017-09-27  8:51 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2017-09-27  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thanks, this is very useful already. A small request though, could you
wrap (or precede) those messages with a message like:

  system          > start problem reporting
  …
  [system          > stop problem reporting]

or (even better) move all of those messages to a dedicated ‘problems’
message group like this?

  problems         > start missing files

I want to be able to use grep on the log / terminal quickly to find whether
there are any such problems.

Best wishes,
Taco

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV

* Re: errors
@ 2017-09-27 10:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-09-27 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/27/2017 10:51 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks, this is very useful already. A small request though, could you
> wrap (or precede) those messages with a message like:
>
>    system          > start problem reporting
>    …
>    [system          > stop problem reporting]
>
> or (even better) move all of those messages to a dedicated ‘problems’
> message group like this?
>
>    problems         > start missing files
>
> I want to be able to use grep on the log / terminal quickly to find whether
> there are any such problems.
I'll add this wrapper:

error logging   > start possible issues

error logging   > stop possible issues

(changing the category to a common one is tricky as it's also used as
selector e.g. you might want to quit on missing chars but not on a
missing reference as that can be a temporary thing in an initial run)

Hans