From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
	"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: xhtml export internal command \dostarttaging modify display and other XML/XHTML attributes
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 16:29:53 +0200	[thread overview]

>> On 10. Apr 2020, at 14:49, Christoph Hintermüller <christoph@out-world.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please increase the USB of ConTeXt by improoving the xml/xhtml exporter
>> backend by allowing modules to hook into it, defining how the contotent
>> should be processed and what css attributes the corresponding tags
>> should receive.
>>
>> Second i noticed that even in verbatim the line numbers are not on the
>> line they number but are, due to late injections printed on an empty
>> line in xhtml. Needs improvement here too.
>>

>> All the above and some more forces me to push my plans to publish my
>> lecture notes on programming as pdf and epub to likely next year. And
>> helping in Improvement is for now not an option too me for now, exempt
>> maybe lateron in testing.
>>

>> Happy Easter.
>
> What, precisely, was the point of this long message?
Indeed. the exporter is just a reconstructor of content so the better
structured, the better the export, and the trickier the rendering the
worse. Also, one can if needed add tags, add attributes etc etc but
don't expect me to keep track of all modules and user stuff and add
export specififcs. Of course I can make some aspects better but i never
needed epub so far.

Then, given an export, one can use xslt or whatever, of have one's own
css as there is no common ground for rendering idiologies. Ever yuser
wants something different.

That said: the best multi-output stuff comes from good neutral input and
for instance xml is more suitable for that than tex encoded input. I'm
currently doing just that: making some css for rather extensive kind of
free xml based content (mostly because i have nothing better todo right
now).

In the end it all boils down to 'does it pay off' in terms of
'useability', 'neccessity' and 'the fun of it'. We're talking of free
software so no one can demand something, only request.

Suggestion for Christoph: look at what Thomas has done for a long time
now: one input (often quite advanced) and multiple output for publishing
ane educational purposes. And it looks pretty good too.

Hans