* ! error: (nodes): attempt to double-free math_char node 100300, ignored
@ 2018-04-28 13:11 Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-04-28 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I have no idea how to transpose the following latex example to
context. Also in my opinion the input is wrong, it should be written
as \mathtestbase{fb}^{-1} (and this works fine).

So I'm only posting this for the case that it indicates some hidden
problem in the fontloader.

The error I get from the document below is

! error:  (nodes): attempt to double-free math_char node 100300,
ignored
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

The fonts used are

[latinmodern-math.otf]:mode=base;script=math;language=DFLT;
and
STIXTwoText:mode=base;script=latn;language=DFLT;

Imho the relevant points to trigger the error are
- a math alphabet which uses mode=base
- a ligature in this font (fb here)
- a following math symbol directly behind the ligature (\int would
give an error too).

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{unicode-math}
\setmathfontface\mathtestbase{STIX Two Text}[Renderer=Basic]
\begin{document}
 $\mathtestbase{fb^{-1}}$
\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: ! error: (nodes): attempt to double-free math_char node 100300, ignored
@ 2018-04-28 15:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-28 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/28/2018 3:11 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> I have no idea how to transpose the following latex example to
> context. Also in my opinion the input is wrong, it should be written
> as \mathtestbase{fb}^{-1} (and this works fine).

so what is \mathtestbase doing? (i don't see a fb lig in that font
(unless i have the wrong font of course))

@ 2018-04-28 15:57   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-04-28 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Sat, 28 Apr 2018 17:42:17 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 4/28/2018 3:11 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> I have no idea how to transpose the following latex example to
>> context. Also in my opinion the input is wrong, it should be written
>> as \mathtestbase{fb}^{-1} (and this works fine).
>
> so what is \mathtestbase doing?

It is a math alphabet. The original error was from a hidden \mathrm.

> (i don't see a fb lig in that font
> (unless i have the wrong font of course))

Ups. I get the error but only with a version which resided in my
windows fonts folder. When I force lualatex to use the version in
the texmf it disappear. For the faulty font I see in the lua-file:

 [983055]={
   ["boundingbox"]={ 18, -10, 830, 713 },
   ["index"]=662,
   ["name"]="f_b",
   ["unicode"]={ 102, 98 },
   ["width"]=865,
  },

The font used on my system is
c:/Wi
ndows/Fonts/STIX2Text-Regular.otf

The original bug report
(https://github.com/khaledhosny/libertinus/issues/166) mentions also
Amiri and Libertinus Serif.

With
\setmathfontface\mathtestbase{Libertinus Serif}[Renderer=Basic]
i get the same error and it too has a f_b ligature:

 [983076]={
   ["boundingbox"]={ 22, -12, 741, 700 },
   ["class"]="ligature",
   ["index"]=2438,
   ["name"]="f_b",
   ["unicode"]={ 102, 98 },
   ["width"]=778,
  },

--

@ 2018-04-28 19:41     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-28 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/28/2018 5:57 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Libertinus Serif

ok, after some debugging luigi and i found a possible issue with the lig
builder part

Hans

* Re: ! error: (nodes): attempt to double-free math_char node 100300, ignored
@ 2018-04-29 12:02       ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-04-29 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:41:31 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 4/28/2018 5:57 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> Libertinus Serif
>
> ok, after some debugging luigi and i found a possible issue with the lig
> builder part

Ah. Good. Is this an engine or a fontloader issue?

While discussion the issue with the unicode-math maintainer the
question came up if mathalphabets like \mathrm etc should better use
mode=node or mode=base. Do you have recommendation?

--

@ 2018-04-30 13:49         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-30 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/29/2018 2:02 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:41:31 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> On 4/28/2018 5:57 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>> Libertinus Serif
>>
>> ok, after some debugging luigi and i found a possible issue with the lig
>> builder part
>
> Ah. Good. Is this an engine or a fontloader issue?

engine ... a rather old bit of traditional font lig related code

> While discussion the issue with the unicode-math maintainer the
> question came up if mathalphabets like \mathrm etc should better use
> mode=node or mode=base. Do you have recommendation?
not really as i have no clue how he implements math alphabets (context
doesn't support such ligatures at all in pure math mode); when wrapped
in e.g. an hbox the normal font handlers kicks in so there one can use
any mode (i suppose)

Hans

* Re: ! error: (nodes): attempt to double-free math_char node 100300, ignored
@ 2018-04-30 14:59           ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-04-30 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Mon, 30 Apr 2018 15:49:11 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> While discussion the issue with the unicode-math maintainer the
>> question came up if mathalphabets like \mathrm etc should better use
>> mode=node or mode=base. Do you have recommendation?

> not really as i have no clue how he implements math alphabets

Imho like in traditional tex as new math family with \newfam etc.

From the output there is a clear difference, only with base mode one
gets ligatures and kerning.

$\mathtestnode{VA fin}$   (node mode: without ligature and kerning)

$\mathtestbase{VA fin}$   (base mode: with ligature and kerning)

But I'm not sure which output is the typographically sounder one.

--

@ 2018-04-30 15:45             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-30 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/30/2018 4:59 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Mon, 30 Apr 2018 15:49:11 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>>> While discussion the issue with the unicode-math maintainer the
>>> question came up if mathalphabets like \mathrm etc should better use
>>> mode=node or mode=base. Do you have recommendation?
>
>> not really as i have no clue how he implements math alphabets
>
> Imho like in traditional tex as new math family with \newfam etc.

in that case only base mode will work as there is no callback doing text
there (makes no sense)
>  From the output there is a clear difference, only with base mode one
> gets ligatures and kerning.
>
> $\mathtestnode{VA fin}$   (node mode: without ligature and kerning)
>
> $\mathtestbase{VA fin}$   (base mode: with ligature and kerning)
>
> But I'm not sure which output is the typographically sounder one.
if one needs text in math then using a boxed approach calling some real
text fonts makes more sense

Hans

* Re: ! error: (nodes): attempt to double-free math_char node 100300, ignored
@ 2018-04-30 16:45               ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-04-30 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Mon, 30 Apr 2018 17:45:28 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> if one needs text in math then using a boxed approach calling some real
> text fonts makes more sense

Yes, I agree.