* MKIV and XML documentation
@ 2007-12-17 16:15 Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2007-12-17 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

What is currently the best source for documentation on mark iv's xml
capabilities?

Thanks, Joh

* Re: MKIV and XML documentation
@ 2007-12-17 21:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-17 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> What is currently the best source for documentation on mark iv's xml
> capabilities?

there is a chapter in mk.pdf; next year i'll write a manual (and i'll
probably give a tutorial at the context conference)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-12-18 12:11   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2007-12-18 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Johannes Graumann wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> What is currently the best source for documentation on mark iv's xml
>> capabilities?
>
> there is a chapter in mk.pdf; next year i'll write a manual (and i'll
> probably give a tutorial at the context conference)

I have read that chapter and I wonder whether this XML handling will be
available in LuaTeX or it will be exclusive for ConTeXt.

Sorry if the question seems to be stupid. I would like to know whether
this will be available for LuaTeX + LaTeX one day.

Thanks,

Pablo

* Re: MKIV and XML documentation
@ 2007-12-18 13:04     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-12-18 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 18, 2007 1:11 PM, Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de> wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
> > Johannes Graumann wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> What is currently the best source for documentation on mark iv's xml
> >> capabilities?
> >
> > there is a chapter in mk.pdf; next year i'll write a manual (and i'll
> > probably give a tutorial at the context conference)
>
> I have read that chapter and I wonder whether this XML handling will be
> available in LuaTeX or it will be exclusive for ConTeXt.
In luatex there is already lxml, which makes the basic layer.
Context mkiv add a 'context way' to do things .

> Sorry if the question seems to be stupid. I would like to know whether
> this will be available for LuaTeX + LaTeX one day.
I don't have the answer, but the question is not stupid at all.
>From my point of view,
one day
pdftex+latex
will be replaced by
luatex+latex
in a transparent way.
Maybe in 2009 .

--
luigi
it's new .

* Re: MKIV and XML documentation
@ 2007-12-18 13:13   ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2007-12-18 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks! I remembered this, but had lost track of where to find it ...
Can someone please have a quick look at the following:

\startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
  \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{text:p}{xml:paragraph}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}

\startxmlsetups xml:paragraph
  \xmlflush{#1}\endgraf
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext
  \processXMLfilegrouped{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}
\stoptext

Why do I get nothing but a tuo file when processing like so:
texmfstart \
texexec --lua --purge --arg="odt=Versuch.odt" --result=Versuch.odt.pdf \
COOnTeXML.tex
where the code above is in COOnTeXML.tex and Versuch.odt contains a <text:p>
tag ...

Thanks, Joh

@ 2007-12-18 13:39     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/12/18, Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann@web.de>:
> Thanks! I remembered this, but had lost track of where to find it ...
> Can someone please have a quick look at the following:
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
>   \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{text:p}{xml:paragraph}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:paragraph
>   \xmlflush{#1}\endgraf
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \starttext
>   \processXMLfilegrouped{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}
> \stoptext

replace this with

\starttext
\xmlprocess{main}{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}{}
\stoptext

\processXMLfilegrouped did not work in combination with xmlregistersetup

> Why do I get nothing but a tuo file when processing like so:
> texmfstart \
> texexec --lua --purge --arg="odt=Versuch.odt" --result=Versuch.odt.pdf \
> COOnTeXML.tex
> where the code above is in COOnTeXML.tex and Versuch.odt contains a <text:p>
> tag ...
>
> Thanks, Joh

Wolfgang

* Re: MKIV and XML documentation
@ 2007-12-18 14:03       ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2007-12-18 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> 2007/12/18, Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann@web.de>:
>> Thanks! I remembered this, but had lost track of where to find it ...
>> Can someone please have a quick look at the following:
>>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
>>   \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{text:p}{xml:paragraph}
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>> \xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}
>>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:paragraph
>>   \xmlflush{#1}\endgraf
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>> \starttext
>>   \processXMLfilegrouped{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}
>> \stoptext
>
> replace this with
>
> \starttext
> \xmlprocess{main}{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}{}
> \stoptext
>
> \processXMLfilegrouped did not work in combination with xmlregistersetup

Thanks for the hint, but

\startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
  \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{text:p}{xml:paragraph}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}

\startxmlsetups xml:paragraph
  \xmlflush{#1}\endgraf
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext
  \xmlprocess{main}{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}{}
\stoptext

doesn't give anything different than what I was trying before ...

@ 2007-12-18 14:13         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-18 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/12/18, Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann@web.de>:
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> > 2007/12/18, Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann@web.de>:
> >> Thanks! I remembered this, but had lost track of where to find it ...
> >> Can someone please have a quick look at the following:
> >>
> >> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
> >>   \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{text:p}{xml:paragraph}
> >> \stopxmlsetups
> >>
> >> \xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}
> >>
> >> \startxmlsetups xml:paragraph
> >>   \xmlflush{#1}\endgraf
> >> \stopxmlsetups
> >>
> >> \starttext
> >>   \processXMLfilegrouped{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}
> >> \stoptext
> >
> > replace this with
> >
> > \starttext
> > \xmlprocess{main}{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}{}
> > \stoptext
> >
> > \processXMLfilegrouped did not work in combination with xmlregistersetup
> >
> Thanks for the hint, but
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
>   \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{text:p}{xml:paragraph}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:paragraph
>   \xmlflush{#1}\endgraf
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \starttext
>   \xmlprocess{main}{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}{}
> \stoptext
>
> doesn't give anything different than what I was trying before ...

Can you send a real example (Openoffice file plus TeX file).

Wolfgang

* Re: MKIV and XML documentation
@ 2007-12-18 14:31           ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2007-12-18 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> 2007/12/18, Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann@web.de>:
>> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> > replace this with
>> >
>> > \starttext
>> > \xmlprocess{main}{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}{}
>> > \stoptext
>> >
>> > \processXMLfilegrouped did not work in combination with
>> > xmlregistersetup
>> >
>> Thanks for the hint, but
>>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
>>   \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{text:p}{xml:paragraph}
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>> \xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}
>>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:paragraph
>>   \xmlflush{#1}\endgraf
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>> \starttext
>>   \xmlprocess{main}{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}{}
>> \stoptext
>>
>> doesn't give anything different than what I was trying before ...
>
> Can you send a real example (Openoffice file plus TeX file).

Attached. Thanks for your time. Joh

[-- Attachment #2: COOnTeXML.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 357 bytes --]

% texmfstart texexec --lua COOnTeXML.tex --arg="odt=someotherfile.zip"
\startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
  \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{text:p}{xml:paragraph}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}

\startxmlsetups xml:paragraph
  \xmlflush{#1}\endgraf
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext
  \xmlprocess{main}{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}{}
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: Versuch.odt --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text, Size: 6759 bytes --]

* Re: MKIV and XML documentation
@ 2007-12-18 15:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-18 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Johannes Graumann wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> What is currently the best source for documentation on mark iv's xml
>>> capabilities?
>> there is a chapter in mk.pdf; next year i'll write a manual (and i'll
>> probably give a tutorial at the context conference)
>
> I have read that chapter and I wonder whether this XML handling will be
> available in LuaTeX or it will be exclusive for ConTeXt.

luatex is just lua + tex + access to each other, the luatex dev team
will *not* provide solutions; mkiv is what we use for testing etc etc

> Sorry if the question seems to be stupid. I would like to know whether
> this will be available for LuaTeX + LaTeX one day.

i'm thinking of a multi layer context i.e. kind of macro package
building subsystem; this means that we can for instance provide a kind
of bare tex with only core functionality (fonts, languages, io, xml, etc)

i have no plans to support latex if only because i have no need for it;
the xml parser is rather generic, which is why it is in l-xml, but
things may change (there will be more functionality, as in lxml-*)

(btw, the lpath code is somewhat experimental and will be extended, as
will manipulative functions)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-12-18 16:22       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-18 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 1:11 PM, Pablo Rodríguez <oinos@web.de> wrote:
>> Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> there is a chapter in mk.pdf; next year i'll write a manual (and i'll
>>> probably give a tutorial at the context conference)
>> I have read that chapter and I wonder whether this XML handling will be
>> available in LuaTeX or it will be exclusive for ConTeXt.
> In luatex there is already lxml, which makes the basic layer.
> Context mkiv add a 'context way' to do things .

bewqre, that's officially mkiv code; okay, it's mostly generic, and
could be used elsewhere but that only makes sense when i've frozen the api;

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-12-19 11:52             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-19 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/12/18, Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann@web.de>:
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> >> Thanks for the hint, but
> >>
> >> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
> >>   \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{text:p}{xml:paragraph}
> >> \stopxmlsetups
> >>
> >> \xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}
> >>
> >> \startxmlsetups xml:paragraph
> >>   \xmlflush{#1}\endgraf
> >> \stopxmlsetups
> >>
> >> \starttext
> >>   \xmlprocess{main}{zip::\env{odt}::content.xml}{}
> >> \stoptext
> >>
> >> doesn't give anything different than what I was trying before ...
> >
> > Can you send a real example (Openoffice file plus TeX file).
>
> Attached. Thanks for your time. Joh

I tried this yesterday myself but I get the same error "no xml file found".

Looks like ConTeXt is not able to open zip files in xml mode, you should
Hans for this feature.

Wolfgang

* Re: MKIV and XML documentation
@ 2007-12-19 13:11               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-19 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Looks like ConTeXt is not able to open zip files in xml mode, you should
> Hans for this feature.

i probably have to call a different function (locator); i'll have a look
at it (not today, no time)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-12-19 17:22                 ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2007-12-19 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks Hans! Please keep me informed ... I will bug you then and again ;0)

Joh

@ 2007-12-23 13:59                 ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2007-12-23 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Just trying to keep this on the radar ... ;0)

Merry Chrismas!

Joh