* [***SPAM***] small space before some characters (: ; ! ?)
@ 2015-04-01 16:46 Csikos Bela
From: Csikos Bela @ 2015-04-01 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello:

Hungarian typography requires inserting small spaces before :, ;, ! and ? characters.
The width of this small space should be equal to that of the period (.). In latex magyarlatex (magyar.ldf) module (part of biblatex) contains definitions to achieve this. How could I set this in context?

Thanks in advance,

bcsikos

* Re: small space before some characters (: ; ! ?)
@ 2015-04-02  4:36 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-04-02  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 01.04.2015 um 18:46 schrieb Csikos Bela <bcsikos425@freemail.hu>:
>
> Hello:
>
> Hungarian typography requires inserting small spaces before :, ;, ! and ? characters.
> The width of this small space should be equal to that of the period (.). In latex magyarlatex (magyar.ldf) module (part of biblatex) contains definitions to achieve this. How could I set this in context?

You can use the french settings which also requires a small space before these characters.

\starttext

Take a look at this; this: this! or this?

\setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]

Take a look at this; this: this! or this?

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: small space before some characters (: ; ! ?)
@ 2015-04-02 10:05   ` Csikos Bela
From: Csikos Bela @ 2015-04-02 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster  írta:

>> Am 01.04.2015 um 18:46 schrieb Csikos Bela:
>>
>> Hello:
>>
>> Hungarian typography requires inserting small spaces before :, ;, ! and ? characters.
>> The width of this small space should be equal to that of the period (.). In latex magyarlatex (magyar.ldf) module (part of biblatex) contains definitions to achieve this. How could I set this in context?
>

>You can use the french settings which also requires a small space before these characters.
>
>\starttext
>
>Take a look at this; this: this! or this?
>
>\setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]
>
>Take a look at this; this: this! or this?
>
>\stoptext

Thanks!
It is something I'd like to have but the space inserted is too big, it looks like a normal interword space. It should be 1/3 or 1/4 interword space or the width of the dot (the visible part), but definitely less than a normal space. Is it possible to redefine the inserted space width?

Thanks,

@ 2015-04-02 11:40     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-04-02 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 02.04.2015 um 12:05 schrieb Csikos Bela <bcsikos425@freemail.hu>:
>
> Wolfgang Schuster  írta:
>>
>>> Am 01.04.2015 um 18:46 schrieb Csikos Bela:
>>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> Hungarian typography requires inserting small spaces before :, ;, ! and ? characters.
>>> The width of this small space should be equal to that of the period (.). In latex magyarlatex (magyar.ldf) module (part of biblatex) contains definitions to achieve this. How could I set this in context?
>>

>> You can use the french settings which also requires a small space before these characters.
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> Take a look at this; this: this! or this?
>>
>> \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]
>>
>> Take a look at this; this: this! or this?
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> Thanks!
> It is something I'd like to have but the space inserted is too big, it looks like a normal interword space. It should be 1/3 or 1/4 interword space or the width of the dot (the visible part), but definitely less than a normal space. Is it possible to redefine the inserted space width?

\definecharacterspacing [hungarian]

\setupcharacterspacing [hungarian] ["003A] [left=.1,alternative=1] % :
\setupcharacterspacing [hungarian] ["003B] [left=.1,alternative=1] % ;
\setupcharacterspacing [hungarian] ["003F] [left=.1,alternative=1] % ?
\setupcharacterspacing [hungarian] ["0021] [left=.1,alternative=1] % !

\starttext

Take a look at this; this: this! or this?

Take a look at this.; this.: this.! or this.?

\setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]

Take a look at this; this: this! or this?

\setcharacterspacing[hungarian]

@ 2015-04-02 15:21       ` Csikos Bela
From: Csikos Bela @ 2015-04-02 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster  írta:

>>> You can use the french settings which also requires a small space before these characters.
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> Take a look at this; this: this! or this?
>>>
>>> \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]
>>>
>>> Take a look at this; this: this! or this?
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>
>> Thanks!
>> It is something I'd like to have but the space inserted is too big, it looks like a normal interword space. It should be 1/3 or 1/4 interword space or the width of the dot (the visible part), but definitely less than a normal space. Is it possible to redefine the inserted space width?
>
>\definecharacterspacing [hungarian]
>
>\setupcharacterspacing [hungarian] ["003A] [left=.1,alternative=1] % :
>\setupcharacterspacing [hungarian] ["003B] [left=.1,alternative=1] % ;
>\setupcharacterspacing [hungarian] ["003F] [left=.1,alternative=1] % ?
>\setupcharacterspacing [hungarian] ["0021] [left=.1,alternative=1] % !
>
>\starttext
>
>Take a look at this; this: this! or this?
>
>Take a look at this.; this.: this.! or this.?
>
>\setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]
>
>Take a look at this; this: this! or this?
>
>\setcharacterspacing[hungarian]
>
>Take a look at this; this: this! or this?
>
>\stoptext

Yes, this looks OK.
Thank you a lot!

bcsikos