From: Csikos Bela <bcsikos425@freemail.hu>
Subject: Re: Bibliography: printing just Single Author et al.
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 16:13:11 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

Mojca Miklavec írta:
>On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Csikos Bela wrote:
>> Mojca Miklavec írta:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>When citing articles with five authors I prefer to list all of them,
>>>but in some articles with one hundred authors I would prefer just "J.
>>>Someone et al." since listing five more co-authors doesn't add
>>>anything substantial to the information.
>>>
>>>Is there any trick that would allow liming the number of listed
>>>authors on per-article basis? Simply specifying
>>>    author = "Just Someone et al.",
>>
>> It's not clear what you want exactly. That is, how many rules do you want regarding
>> number of authors?
>>
>> I don't know how ConTeXt handes author numbers. But in normal bibtex this is generally
>> implemented as max authors and min authors (naturally it depends on the bst file you use).
>> If the total number of authors is less than or equal to max authors, all author names are listed.
>> If total number of authors is more than max authors, min authors are listed followed by et al.
>> By adjusting the bst file you can change every single details.
>>
>> An example: if you set max number to 7 and min number to 3, then in case of 7 or less
>> authors all are listed, in case of 8 or more the first 3 are listed followed by et al.
>>
>> Would these two rules fit your requirements? Or do you want a third rule (in additon to the
>> above rules) for very high number of authors, when only the very first author is listed?
>
>Oh, interesting. I wasn't aware of that rule. I thought that in case
>of "more than n" authors, the first n would be printed.
>
>I was thinking of a rule "if I specify something special on this
>particular entry, then print one author et al." (without me having to
>bother to actually try to include all the hundred names if I know in
>advance that none of them would be printed anyway), but a rule like
>"if more than N, then print just one" would most probably work for me.
>
>How does one set that lower number?

See my other answer too.
You set authoretallimit=6 % Up to six authors all author are listed
You might need to set artauthoretallimit=6 too.
You set authoretaldisplay=1 % if there are more tnan 6 authors only one is listed
You might need to set artauthoretaldisplay=1.

>> In this case you have to edit the bst file as well. What makes it harder ConTeXt has special bst files and you have to edit those bst files.
>>
>> If you have only a few article like this, the easiest solution might be to edit the bib file, and change the author field to what you want in the output.
>>
>> This is a real shortcoming of ConTeXt bibliography generating mechanism. To customize
>> it you have to be able to edit bst files and be very familiar with ConTeXt bibliography
>> generating module, and TeX programming might be required too.
>
>No, configuration of bibliographies in ConTeXt does not (and should
>not) require knowledge of bst files. I always managed to get around
>with some relatively straightforward settings and commands.

If you want to remove dots after the initials or remove the space between initials you have to. If you want to modify what is inserted into the bbl file you have to.

bcsikos