* external figure sizing
@ 2015-05-09 20:26 Csikos Bela
From: Csikos Bela @ 2015-05-09 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list members:

I would like to make a photo montage (4x3 images on one page) using
\placefigure, \externalfigure and combinations. The images should be scaled to the
same size, eg to .25\textwith and .3\textheight so that the  aspect ratios of the images
are kept and the appropriate value is used for width or height. That is the smaller value
from .25\textwith and .3\textheight is used for the image size.

Using only \useexternalfigure[Fig1][1.jpg][width=.25\textwidth] may not give the correct
result if the image requires size adjustment by height and vice versa. Defining both
width and height results in exact resizing and the aspect ratio is not maintained.

How can this be solved?

Thanks,

bcsikos

* Re: external figure sizing
@ 2015-05-09 21:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-05-09 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/9/2015 10:26 PM, Csikos Bela wrote:
> Hello list members:
>
> I would like to make a photo montage (4x3 images on one page) using
> \placefigure, \externalfigure and combinations. The images should be scaled to the
> same size, eg to .25\textwith and .3\textheight so that the  aspect ratios of the images
> are kept and the appropriate value is used for width or height. That is the smaller value
> from .25\textwith and .3\textheight is used for the image size.
>
> Using only \useexternalfigure[Fig1][1.jpg][width=.25\textwidth] may not give the correct
> result if the image requires size adjustment by height and vice versa. Defining both
> width and height results in exact resizing and the aspect ratio is not maintained.
>
> How can this be solved?

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\showframe

\starttext

\setuplayout[middle]

\defineexternalfigure[quarter][factor=max]

\vbox{\dorecurse{4}{\hbox{\hsize.25\textwidth\vsize.25\textheight\dorecurse{4}{\externalfigure[dummy][quarter]}}}}

\page

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape] \setuplayout[middle]

\vbox{\dorecurse{4}{\hbox{\hsize.25\textwidth\vsize.25\textheight\dorecurse{4}{\externalfigure[dummy][quarter]}}}}

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: external figure sizing
@ 2015-05-09 21:08 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2015-05-09 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, May 09 2015, Csikos Bela wrote:

> \placefigure, \externalfigure and combinations. The images should be scaled to the
> same size, eg to .25\textwith and .3\textheight so that the  aspect ratios of the images
> are kept and the appropriate value is used for width or height.

What is the "appropriate" value?

> That is the smaller value from .25\textwith and .3\textheight is used
> for the image size.

"The smaller value from .25\textwith and .3\textheight" does only depend
on the layout, but not on the image.

This is perhaps, what you need:  maxwidth=..., maxheight=...

--
           Peter

* Re: external figure sizing
@ 2015-05-11 15:27   ` Csikos Bela
From: Csikos Bela @ 2015-05-11 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter Münster" írta:
>On Sat, May 09 2015, Csikos Bela wrote:
>
>> \placefigure, \externalfigure and combinations. The images should be scaled to the
>> same size, eg to .25\textwith and .3\textheight so that the  aspect ratios of the images
>> are kept and the appropriate value is used for width or height.
>
>What is the "appropriate" value?

The calculated value which pairs with < or = to the other calculated value.
For example if  the height calculated for .25\textwidth is less than .3\textheight
then .25\textwidth else .3\textheight should be used for calculating the size of
the image.

>> That is the smaller value from .25\textwith and .3\textheight is used
>> for the image size.
>
>"The smaller value from .25\textwith and .3\textheight" does only depend
>on the layout, but not on the image.

Of course, but the layout determines how the images has to be scaled.

>This is perhaps, what you need:  maxwidth=..., maxheight=...

Exactly, this is what I need.

Thanks,

bcsikos