* description questions
@ 2017-02-20 14:30 Csikos Bela
From: Csikos Bela @ 2017-02-20 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear context users:

I am experimenting with descriptions and I couldn't find in the documentation
the following:

1. What is the default value of width option? It seems that default width uses the
longest head + some distance for every head in a descriptions list. Neither
width=fit nor width=broad,distance=dimension results in the same.

2. In the same document how can I reset to the default options of a defined
description list? For example:

\definedescription[defa]

\defa{head} .... % deafult options are used

\setupdescription[defa][width=broad,distance=1cm]
\defa{head} .... % above options are used

Now I would like to use again the default options, how can I?

I tried:
\setupdescription[defa][]
\defa{head} ....

But still the previously set options are used, they haven't been reset.

Thank you in advance,

bcsikos

* Re: description questions
@ 2017-02-20 17:15 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2017-02-20 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am experimenting with descriptions and I couldn't find in the documentation
> the following:
>
> 1. What is the default value of width option? It seems that default width uses the
> longest head + some distance for every head in a descriptions list. Neither
> width=fit nor width=broad,distance=dimension results in the same.

Some information is given here: http://www.ntg.nl/maps/36/09.pdf
Enumerations and descriptions share a lot of settings.

> 2. In the same document how can I reset to the default options of a defined
> description list? For example:
>
> \definedescription[defa]
>
> \defa{head} .... % deafult options are used
>
> \setupdescription[defa][width=broad,distance=1cm]
> \defa{head} .... % above options are used
>
> But still the previously set options are used, they haven't been reset.

There is no way to reset options in ConTeXt. The canonical way to do this
is:

\definedescription[defa]
\definedescription[defb][defa][width=broad, distance=1cm]

\startdefa ... \stopdefa

\startdefb ... \stopdefb

(Untested): This should also work:

\startdefa[width=broad, distance=1cm] ... \stopdefa

Aditya

* Re: description questions
@ 2017-02-21 10:58   ` Csikos Bela
From: Csikos Bela @ 2017-02-21 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan írta:
>> I am experimenting with descriptions and I couldn't find in the documentation
>> the following:
>>
>> 1. What is the default value of width option? It seems that default width uses the
>> longest head + some distance for every head in a descriptions list.

Sorry, I wasn't right. context uses a default width for head. Accidentally the longest
term I used in my document was almost the same as the default head width, therefore
I thought that the head was calculated according to my term's width.

>>Neither  width=fit nor width=broad,distance=dimension results in the same.
>
>Some information is given here: http://www.ntg.nl/maps/36/09.pdf
>Enumerations and descriptions share a lot of settings.

Thank you. I read it. I have a question: is it possible to add some text or command
between the head and text in description? For example a dash or symbol which separates the head from the text. In enumerations it seems to be different, because
there the variable head (title) goes after a static head. I would need the opposite:
variable head part - static head part. I tried to use headcommand option but it puts
stuff before head.

>There is no way to reset options in ConTeXt. The canonical way to do this
>is:
>
>\definedescription[defa]
>\definedescription[defb][defa][width=broad, distance=1cm]
>
>\startdefa ... \stopdefa
>
>\startdefb ... \stopdefb
>
>(Untested): This should also work:
>
>\startdefa[width=broad, distance=1cm] ... \stopdefa

I see.

Thank you again,

bcsikos