* Re: Adobe ArnoPro in mkiv
@ 2008-08-20 18:59 abbg770
From: abbg770 @ 2008-08-20 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz <at> uni-bonn.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use the Adobe ArnoPro font (just testing if it will work
> with
> ConTeXt). The font does work with ConTeXt/XeTeX, but not in mkiv. When I
> try to compile my test file with mkiv, I get this error message (which
> isn't very helpful to me):
>
>   (/home/tas/texmf/tex/context/type-arnopro.tex (/home/tas/texmf/tex/
> context/type-arnopro.mkiv))))
> MtxRun | return code: ?
> ...live/texmf-local/scripts/context/lua/mtx-context.lua:572: attempt
> to compare number with nil
>
> I'm using the latest beta and luatex 0.28.0
>
> Can anybody explain what's going wrong here?
>
> Thanks
>
> Thomas

Hi,

Did you manage to fix it? LuaTeX goes into (what I think is) an endless
cycle --- I haven't allowed it to terminate naturaly, as it takes far too
long even on a quad core.

load otf | warning: Bad pair position: glyphs 0 & 3148 should have been <
2846

load otf | warning: Bad pair position: glyphs 0 & 3250 should have been <
2846

load otf | warning: Bad pair position: glyphs 0 & 3784 should have been <
2846

I should point out that on my Vista box LuaTeX crashes when I attempt to
access the font information.

mtxrun --script fonts --list "arnoproregular" --info
% crashes

%%% file %%%
\starttypescript [serif] [arnopro]
  \definefontsynonym [ArnoPro-Regular]    [name:ArnoPro-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [ArnoPro-Bold]       [name:ArnoPro-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [ArnoPro-Italic]     [name:ArnoPro-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [ArnoPro-BoldItalic] [name:ArnoPro-BoldItalic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [arnopro]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif] [ArnoPro-Regular] [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold] [ArnoPro-Bold] [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic] [ArnoPro-Italic] [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [ArnoPro-BoldItalic]
[features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps] [Serif] [features=latin-smallcaps]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface[adobe][rm][serif][arnopro][default]
\setupbodyfont[adobe,11pt]

* Re: Adobe ArnoPro in mkiv
@ 2008-08-24  7:56 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-08-24  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 20, 2008, at 8:59 PM, abbg770@city.ac.uk wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz <at> uni-bonn.de> writes:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to use the Adobe ArnoPro font (just testing if it will
>> work
>> with
>> ConTeXt). The font does work with ConTeXt/XeTeX, but not in mkiv.
>> When I
>> try to compile my test file with mkiv, I get this error message
>> (which
>> isn't very helpful to me):
>>
>>  (/home/tas/texmf/tex/context/type-arnopro.tex (/home/tas/texmf/tex/
>> context/type-arnopro.mkiv))))
>> MtxRun | return code: ?
>> ...live/texmf-local/scripts/context/lua/mtx-context.lua:572: attempt
>> to compare number with nil
>>
>> I'm using the latest beta and luatex 0.28.0
>>
>> Can anybody explain what's going wrong here?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> Hi,
>
> Did you manage to fix it? LuaTeX goes into (what I think is) an
> endless
> cycle --- I haven't allowed it to terminate naturaly, as it takes
> far too
> long even on a quad core.
>
> load otf | warning: Bad pair position: glyphs 0 & 3148 should have
> been <
> 2846
>
> load otf | warning: Bad pair position: glyphs 0 & 3250 should have
> been <
> 2846
>
> load otf | warning: Bad pair position: glyphs 0 & 3784 should have
> been <
> 2846

> I should point out that on my Vista box LuaTeX crashes when I
> attempt to
> access the font information.
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --list "arnoproregular" --info
> % crashes

Yes, I get a "segmentation fault" here on OS X as well. I talked to
Hans in Bohinj (I'm back earlier than the rest, who are still working
hard in Slovenia), and he thinks we'll just have to wait a bit till
luatex integrates code from fontforge v.3. So for the time being, Arno
Pro is unfortunately no go.

Thomas

* Re: Adobe ArnoPro in mkiv
@ 2009-01-18 15:29   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-01-18 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 24, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2008, at 8:59 PM, abbg770@city.ac.uk wrote:
>
>> Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz <at> uni-bonn.de> writes:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to use the Adobe ArnoPro font (just testing if it will
>>> work
>>> with
>>> ConTeXt). The font does work with ConTeXt/XeTeX, but not in mkiv.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Did you manage to fix it? LuaTeX goes into (what I think is) an
>> endless
>> cycle --- I haven't allowed it to terminate naturaly, as it takes
>> far too
>> long even on a quad core.
>>
> Yes, I get a "segmentation fault" here on OS X as well. I talked to
> Hans in Bohinj (I'm back earlier than the rest, who are still working
> hard in Slovenia), and he thinks we'll just have to wait a bit till
> luatex integrates code from fontforge v.3. So for the time being, Arno
> Pro is unfortunately no go.

Just for the record and in case anybody else is interested: with the
latest luatex and the latest beta, ArnoPro now works in mkiv!

Best

Thomas

* Re: Adobe ArnoPro in mkiv
@ 2009-01-19 22:30     ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-01-19 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

hi,

thanks for the reply, it's nice to hear that it's working - what was the
problem?  anyhow, currently my favourite font is minion/warnock pro  and
when the math version (that is, MinionMath) is released it'll be the
ultimate font.  if you want to preview material typeset with
minion/warnock pro you might want to check out Daniel Jackson's page
http://people.csail.mit.edu/dnj/, in particular his book; Software
Abstractions: Logic, Language, and Analysis is typeset in warnock pro.

do you mind sharing the typeset for arnopro, i'll give it a try to see
how to compares to minion/warnock pro.

Mohamed

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Did you manage to fix it? LuaTeX goes into (what I think is) an
>>> endless
>>> cycle --- I haven't allowed it to terminate naturaly, as it takes
>>> far too
>>> long even on a quad core.
>>>
>> Yes, I get a "segmentation fault" here on OS X as well. I talked to
>> Hans in Bohinj (I'm back earlier than the rest, who are still working
>> hard in Slovenia), and he thinks we'll just have to wait a bit till
>> luatex integrates code from fontforge v.3. So for the time being, Arno
>> Pro is unfortunately no go.
>>
> Just for the record and in case anybody else is interested: with the
> latest luatex and the latest beta, ArnoPro now works in mkiv!
>
> Best
>
> Thomas

* Re: Adobe ArnoPro in mkiv
@ 2008-07-09 10:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-09 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2008, at 10:53 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> what does texexec --lua do?
>>
>> (it looks like either luatex is not run or crashed; i'll try to give a
>> more meaningful message)
>>
>> Hans
>
> Hmm, with texexec --lua, I get no errors on the console, but no pdf is
> produced, and the log file is empty. The last line I see on the
> console is again
>   (/home/tas/texmf/tex/context/type-arnopro.tex (/home/tas/texmf/tex/
> context/type-arnopro.mkiv))))

can you send me the font and the file

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Adobe ArnoPro in mkiv
@ 2008-07-09 10:04       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-09 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 9, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Can you send the typescripts, it's weird to use different files for
> XeTeX
> and LuaTeX because one should work for both.
>
> Wolfgang

I don't think you can use all the features with XeTeX, bit know
precious little about XeTeX, my money is on luatex... Anyway, here is
my typescript:

\starttypescript [serif] [arnopro]
   \definefontsynonym [ArnoPro-Roman]          [file:ArnoPro-Regular]
[features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [ArnoPro-Bold]           [file:ArnoPro-Bold]
[features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [ArnoPro-Italic]         [file:ArnoPro-Italic]
[features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [ArnoPro-Bold-Italic]    [file:ArnoPro-
BoldItalic]  [features=default]
   \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [arnopro] [name]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [ArnoPro-Roman]
[features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [ArnoPro-Italic]
[features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [ArnoPro-Bold]
[features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [ArnoPro-Bold-Italic]
[features=default]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]       [Serif]  [features=smallcaps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [ArnoPro]
   \definetypeface [MyArnoPro] [rm] [serif][arnopro]    [default]
   \definetypeface [MyArnoPro] [mm] [math] [modern]    [default]
\stoptypescript

Thomas

* Re: Adobe ArnoPro in mkiv
@ 2008-07-09  9:44     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-09  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-07-09  9:18   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-09  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-07-09  8:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use the Adobe ArnoPro font (just testing if it will work
> with
> ConTeXt). The font does work with ConTeXt/XeTeX, but not in mkiv. When I
> try to compile my test file with mkiv, I get this error message (which
> isn't very helpful to me):
>
>   (/home/tas/texmf/tex/context/type-arnopro.tex (/home/tas/texmf/tex/
> context/type-arnopro.mkiv))))
> MtxRun | return code: ?
> ....live/texmf-local/scripts/context/lua/mtx-context.lua:572: attempt
> to compare number with nil
>
> I'm using the latest beta and luatex 0.28.0
>
> Can anybody explain what's going wrong here?

what does texexec --lua do?

(it looks like either luatex is not run or crashed; i'll try to give a
more meaningful message)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl