* ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 20:29 Martin Scholz
From: Martin Scholz @ 2009-10-27 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi List,

does anybody of you know if there is context package/module that provides
the usability of AMS symbols like \subsetneq or \subsetneqq?

or is the only way to define every symbol by hand manually in the form of

\mathchardef\subsetneq=####

Thanks for your help

Martin

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 20:58 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-10-27 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Scholz wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> does anybody of you know if there is context package/module that provides
> the usability of AMS symbols like \subsetneq or \subsetneqq?
>
> or is the only way to define every symbol by hand manually in the form of
>
> \mathchardef\subsetneq=####

they should just work (both mkii and mkiv have ams fonts preloaded)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 21:05 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-10-27 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> does anybody of you know if there is context package/module that provides
> the usability of AMS symbols like \subsetneq or \subsetneqq?

MkII or MkIV?

> or is the only way to define every symbol by hand manually in the form of
>
> \mathchardef\subsetneq=####

Just send a list of symbols that are missing, and we will add them to the
core.

Aditya

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 21:08   ` Martin Scholz
From: Martin Scholz @ 2009-10-27 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:58:59 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Martin Scholz wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> does anybody of you know if there is context package/module that
>> provides the usability of AMS symbols like \subsetneq or \subsetneqq?
>>
>> or is the only way to define every symbol by hand manually in the form
>> of
>>
>> \mathchardef\subsetneq=####
>
> they should just work (both mkii and mkiv have ams fonts preloaded)
>
> Hans

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

I had to define these to manually and the other way round too,

as I needed supsetneq subsetneq supsetneqq and subsetneqq and all were
not working I needed to add

\font\msbmx=msbm10 at 10pt
\textfont15=\msbmx
\mathchardef\subsetneqq="3F24
\mathchardef\subsetneq="3F28
\mathchardef\supsetneqq="3F25
\mathchardef\supsetneq="3F29

this part to my environment file...

So since when did you implement it, using context included in the texlive
2k8 version and waiting for 2k9 to be stabilized by my packet manager...

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 21:10   ` Martin Scholz
From: Martin Scholz @ 2009-10-27 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:05:07 -0400 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:
>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> does anybody of you know if there is context package/module that
>> provides the usability of AMS symbols like \subsetneq or \subsetneqq?
>
> MkII or MkIV?
MkII

>> or is the only way to define every symbol by hand manually in the form
>> of
>>
>> \mathchardef\subsetneq=####
>
> Just send a list of symbols that are missing, and we will add them to
> the core.
>
> Aditya

Just answered Hans with the part that missed in my opinion. but if it is
there, I don't know what I'm doing wrong...
> http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://tex.aanhet.net archive  :
> http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextrev/ wiki     :
> http://contextgarden.net

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 21:21     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-10-27 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:

> Am Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:05:07 -0400 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> does anybody of you know if there is context package/module that
>>> provides the usability of AMS symbols like \subsetneq or \subsetneqq?
>>
>> MkII or MkIV?
> MkII
>>
>>> or is the only way to define every symbol by hand manually in the form
>>> of
>>>
>>> \mathchardef\subsetneq=####
>>
>> Just send a list of symbols that are missing, and we will add them to
>> the core.
>>
>> Aditya
>>
> Just answered Hans with the part that missed in my opinion. but if it is
> there, I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I don't know. The following works fine here with the current minimals.

\starttext
$\subsetneqq\subsetneq\supsetneqq\supsetneq$
\stoptext

It also works correctly on contextgarden (live.contextgarden.net). To be
explicit, you can try to force the ams definitions:

\definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif][modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
\definetypeface[mainface][ss][sans] [modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
\definetypeface[mainface][tt][mono] [modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
\definetypeface[mainface][mm][mant] [modern][ams]    [encoding=\defaultencoding]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

Which version of context are you using?

Aditya

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 21:29       ` Martin Scholz
From: Martin Scholz @ 2009-10-27 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:21:48 -0400 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:

>>> MkII or MkIV?
>> MkII

>>> Just send a list of symbols that are missing, and we will add them to
>>> the core.
>>>
>>> Aditya
>>>
>> Just answered Hans with the part that missed in my opinion. but if it
>> is there, I don't know what I'm doing wrong...
>
> I don't know. The following works fine here with the current minimals.
>
> \starttext
> $\subsetneqq\subsetneq\supsetneqq\supsetneq$ \stoptext
>
> It also works correctly on contextgarden (live.contextgarden.net). To be
> explicit, you can try to force the ams definitions:
>
> \definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif][modern][default][encoding=
\defaultencoding]
> \definetypeface[mainface][ss][sans]
> [modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
> \definetypeface[mainface][tt][mono]
> [modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
> \definetypeface[mainface][mm][mant] [modern][ams]
> [encoding=\defaultencoding]
>
> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>
> Which version of context are you using?
How do I get this information? Newbee to context, sorry

Martin

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 21:34         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-10-27 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:

>> Which version of context are you using?
> How do I get this information? Newbee to context, sorry

ctxtools --contextversion (for MkII)
context --version (for MkIV)

Also, the second line of the log file tells you the version of context
that you are running.

Aditya

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 21:38       ` Martin Scholz
From: Martin Scholz @ 2009-10-27 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:21:48 -0400 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:

>>> MkII or MkIV?
>> MkII

>>> Just send a list of symbols that are missing, and we will add them to
>>> the core.
>>>
>>> Aditya
>>>
>> Just answered Hans with the part that missed in my opinion. but if it
>> is there, I don't know what I'm doing wrong...
>
> I don't know. The following works fine here with the current minimals.
>
> \starttext
> $\subsetneqq\subsetneq\supsetneqq\supsetneq$ \stoptext
>
> It also works correctly on contextgarden (live.contextgarden.net). To be
> explicit, you can try to force the ams definitions:
>
> \definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif][modern][default][encoding=
\defaultencoding]
> \definetypeface[mainface][ss][sans]
> [modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
> \definetypeface[mainface][tt][mono]
> [modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
> \definetypeface[mainface][mm][mant] [modern][ams]
> [encoding=\defaultencoding]
>
> \setupbodyfont[mainface]

Ok I found out where the problem is and why I need to define the folowing
symbols manually like this:
\font\msbmx=msbm10 at 10pt
\textfont15=\msbmx
\mathchardef\subsetneqq="3F24
\mathchardef\subsetneq="3F28
\mathchardef\supsetneqq="3F25
\mathchardef\supsetneq="3F29

I'm using the following setup:

\definetypeface[modern][mm][math][modern][ams][endocing=\defaultencoding]

because in this connection the following part produces the nicer output,
or it there a way to the the dstroke environment behave like in the math
under mant?

\definefamilysynonym[default][doublestroke][mb]

\def\dstroke {\fam\purefamily {doublestroke}}

here the Symbol for natural Numbers is produced like ||\|
and not like |\\|

hope the ascii-Art is readable...

Greetings Martin

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 21:41           ` Martin Scholz
From: Martin Scholz @ 2009-10-27 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:34:16 -0400 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:
>
>>> Which version of context are you using?
>> How do I get this information? Newbee to context, sorry
>
> ctxtools --contextversion (for MkII)
> context --version (for MkIV)
>
> Also, the second line of the log file tells you the version of context
> that you are running.
thanks so here is the output:
ctxtools --contextversion
CtxTools | context version: 2008.05.21 15:21 (/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/
context/base/context.tex)
CtxTools | context version: 2008.05.21 15:21 (/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/
context/base/cont-new.tex)
ctxtools --version
CtxTools | version 1.3.5 - 2004/2008 - PRAGMA ADE

Martin

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 21:46         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-10-27 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:

> Am Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:21:48 -0400 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

>>> MkII

>>> Just answered Hans with the part that missed in my opinion. but if it
>>> is there, I don't know what I'm doing wrong...
>>
>> I don't know. The following works fine here with the current minimals.
>>
>> \starttext
>> $\subsetneqq\subsetneq\supsetneqq\supsetneq$ \stoptext
>>
>> It also works correctly on contextgarden (live.contextgarden.net). To be
>> explicit, you can try to force the ams definitions:
>>
>> \definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif][modern][default][encoding=
> \defaultencoding]
>> \definetypeface[mainface][ss][sans]
>> [modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
>> \definetypeface[mainface][tt][mono]
>> [modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
>> \definetypeface[mainface][mm][mant] [modern][ams]
>> [encoding=\defaultencoding]
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>>
> Ok I found out where the problem is and why I need to define the folowing
> symbols manually like this:
> \font\msbmx=msbm10 at 10pt
> \textfont15=\msbmx
> \mathchardef\subsetneqq="3F24
> \mathchardef\subsetneq="3F28
> \mathchardef\supsetneqq="3F25
> \mathchardef\supsetneq="3F29
>
> I'm using the following setup:
>
> \definetypeface[modern][mm][math][modern][ams][endocing=\defaultencoding]
>
> because in this connection the following part produces the nicer output,
> or it there a way to the the dstroke environment behave like in the math
> under mant?

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Doublestroke

Aditya

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 21:47             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-10-27 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:

>>> How do I get this information? Newbee to context, sorry
>>
>> ctxtools --contextversion (for MkII)
>> context --version (for MkIV)
>>
>> Also, the second line of the log file tells you the version of context
>> that you are running.
> thanks so here is the output:
> ctxtools --contextversion
> CtxTools | context version: 2008.05.21 15:21 (/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/
> context/base/context.tex)
> CtxTools | context version: 2008.05.21 15:21 (/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/
> context/base/cont-new.tex)
> ctxtools --version
> CtxTools | version 1.3.5 - 2004/2008 - PRAGMA ADE

Nothing has changed in MkII math since then, so ams fonts should
definitely work in your setup. See my other mail about using doublestroke
font.

Aditya

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 22:09           ` Martin Scholz
From: Martin Scholz @ 2009-10-27 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:46:23 -0400 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:

>>> I don't know. The following works fine here with the current minimals.
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> $\subsetneqq\subsetneq\supsetneqq\supsetneq$ \stoptext
>>>
>>> It also works correctly on contextgarden (live.contextgarden.net). To
>>> be explicit, you can try to force the ams definitions:
>>>
>>> \definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif][modern][default][encoding=
>> \defaultencoding]
>>> \definetypeface[mainface][ss][sans]
>>> [modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
>>> \definetypeface[mainface][tt][mono]
>>> [modern][default][encoding=\defaultencoding]
>>> \definetypeface[mainface][mm][mant] [modern][ams]
>>> [encoding=\defaultencoding]
>>>
>>> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>>>
>> Ok I found out where the problem is and why I need to define the
>> folowing symbols manually like this:
>> \font\msbmx=msbm10 at 10pt
>> \textfont15=\msbmx
>> \mathchardef\subsetneqq="3F24
>> \mathchardef\subsetneq="3F28
>> \mathchardef\supsetneqq="3F25
>> \mathchardef\supsetneq="3F29
>>
>> I'm using the following setup:
>>
>> \definetypeface[modern][mm][math][modern][ams][endocing=
\defaultencoding]

>> because in this connection the following part produces the nicer
>> output, or it there a way to the the dstroke environment behave like in
>> the math under mant?
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Doublestroke
>
> Aditya

Thanks after that link I'm using dstroke.
you used in brackets [mant] instead of [math] in the following command
\definetypeface[modern][mm][math][modern][ams][endocing=
\defaultencoding]

so with math it is correct with mant it is the wrong one. Is there a way
to combine math and mant together? so that one can use the defined
symbols in mant and use the nicer doublestroke symbols in math?

Greetings and really many thanks

Martin

* Re: ams font symbols
@ 2009-10-27 23:06             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-10-27 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:

> Thanks after that link I'm using dstroke.
> you used in brackets [mant] instead of [math] in the following command
> \definetypeface[modern][mm][math][modern][ams][endocing=
> \defaultencoding]
>
> so with math it is correct with mant it is the wrong one. Is there a way
> to combine math and mant together? so that one can use the defined
> symbols in mant and use the nicer doublestroke symbols in math?

Sorry, [mant] was a typo. It should be [math].

The trouble is that the example on the wiki is that it redefines the mb
family and the subseteq etc from from mb family. A workaround is to
redefine the mc family (Only math time professional fonts use that
family). Here is a working example:

\loadmapfile[dstroke.map]

\starttypescript [math] [modern,computer-modern,latin-modern,ams] [size]
   \definebodyfont [17.3pt,14.4pt,12pt][mm]
                   [mc=dsrom12 sa 1]
   \definebodyfont [11pt,10pt,9pt] [mm]
                   [mc=dsrom10 sa 1]
   \definebodyfont [8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt,4pt] [mm]
                   [mc=dsrom8 sa 1]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface [modern] [mm] [math] [modern] [ams] [encoding=texnansi]

\setupbodyfont[reset,modern,10pt]

\definefamilysynonym [default] [doublestroke]   [mc]

\def\dstroke {\fam\purefamily  {doublestroke}}

\def\doublestroke#1{{\dstroke#1}}

\starttext

${\dstroke RN}$

@ 2009-10-28  0:19               ` Martin Scholz
From: Martin Scholz @ 2009-10-28  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:06:40 -0400 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Martin Scholz wrote:
>
>> Thanks after that link I'm using dstroke. you used in brackets [mant]
>> instead of [math] in the following command
>> \definetypeface[modern][mm][math][modern][ams][endocing=
>> \defaultencoding]
>>
>> so with math it is correct with mant it is the wrong one. Is there a
>> way to combine math and mant together? so that one can use the defined
>> symbols in mant and use the nicer doublestroke symbols in math?
>
> Sorry, [mant] was a typo. It should be [math].
>
> The trouble is that the example on the wiki is that it redefines the mb
> family and the subseteq etc from from mb family. A workaround is to
> redefine the mc family (Only math time professional fonts use that
> family). Here is a working example:
>

> \loadmapfile[dstroke.map]
>
> \starttypescript [math] [modern,computer-modern,latin-modern,ams] [size]
>    \definebodyfont [17.3pt,14.4pt,12pt][mm]
>                    [mc=dsrom12 sa 1]
>    \definebodyfont [11pt,10pt,9pt] [mm]
>                    [mc=dsrom10 sa 1]
>    \definebodyfont [8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt,4pt] [mm]
>                    [mc=dsrom8 sa 1]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \definetypeface [modern] [mm] [math] [modern] [ams] [encoding=texnansi]
>
> \setupbodyfont[reset,modern,10pt]
>
> \definefamilysynonym [default] [doublestroke]   [mc]
>
> \def\dstroke {\fam\purefamily  {doublestroke}}
>
> \def\doublestroke#1{{\dstroke#1}}
>
> \starttext
>
> ${\dstroke RN}$
>
> $\subsetneqq\subsetneq\supsetneqq\supsetneq$
>
> \stoptext

Hey Aditya,

cool thanks, really works this way round, Thanks that this list is so
fast in answering questions and that in such a qualified way... hope I
will get that knowledge by some day about context to help others too...
but it is nice to know a place where others will do so...

so again thanks to everybody who helped me with in the past...

Greetings
Martin