* Relative references to floats
@ 2010-06-09 12:43 Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-06-09 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

is there currently (in MkIV) some way to have relative references to floats?
I imagine something like "... as you can see \above[fig:somefigure]." which
would print "... as you can see above." if the figure is above the current
paragraph or "... as you can see below." if it is below.

Maybe it's unusual to do that in books/papers, but I thought it might look
better than to reference a page or a number if it is expected, that the
figure is close by anyway.

It would be nice if it could even go so far as to include page offsets ...
"... as you can see on the next page" or "... as you can see two pages
ahead".

I have no real need to use this, it was just an idea to tidy up my text a
bit (without risking wrong references when the layout changes and floats
shift around). So if that is currently possible: awesome ... if not: no harm
done :-)

Best Regards,
Andreas.

* Re: Relative references to floats
@ 2010-06-09 20:29 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-06-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.06.10 14:43, schrieb Andreas Schneider:
> Hello,
>
> is there currently (in MkIV) some way to have relative references to floats?
> I imagine something like "... as you can see \above[fig:somefigure]." which
> would print "... as you can see above." if the figure is above the current
> paragraph or "... as you can see below." if it is below.
>
> Maybe it's unusual to do that in books/papers, but I thought it might look
> better than to reference a page or a number if it is expected, that the
> figure is close by anyway.
>
> It would be nice if it could even go so far as to include page offsets ...
> "... as you can see on the next page" or "... as you can see two pages
> ahead".
>
> I have no real need to use this, it was just an idea to tidy up my text a
> bit (without risking wrong references when the layout changes and floats
> shift around). So if that is currently possible: awesome ... if not: no harm
> done :-)

strc-ref.mkiv:

%D A still very rudimentary|/|experimental forward|/|backward
%D reference mechanism is provided by the macro \type{\atpage}:
%D
%D \starttyping
%D ... \somewhere{backward text}{forward text}[someref] ...
%D ... \atpage[someref] ...
%D \stoptyping

Wolfgang

* Re: Relative references to floats
@ 2010-06-09 20:44   ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-06-09 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 09.06.10 14:43, schrieb Andreas Schneider:
>> Hello,
>>
>> is there currently (in MkIV) some way to have relative references to
>> floats? I imagine something like "... as you can see
>> \above[fig:somefigure]." which would print "... as you can see above." if
>> the figure is above the current paragraph or "... as you can see below."
>> if it is below.
>
> strc-ref.mkiv:
>
> %D A still very rudimentary|/|experimental forward|/|backward
> %D reference mechanism is provided by the macro \type{\atpage}:
> %D
> %D \starttyping
> %D ... \somewhere{backward text}{forward text}[someref] ...
> %D ... \atpage[someref] ...
> %D \stoptyping
>
> Wolfgang

Ah, thank you for pointing that out. Unfortunately it seems to be really
quite experimental, as my first tests didn't go so well :D
I'll keep it in mind though and play around with it a bit more.

Thanks!
Andreas.