* PDF Custom Page Numbering
@ 2010-06-09 14:06 Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-06-09 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

while reading through the PDF to ISO-9075-1 (SQL99), I noticed something I
had never seen before in a PDF: the page numbers displayed by Acrobat
matched exactly the ones in the document ... the beginning was even numbered
with roman numbers and the actual content started again at "Page 1". From a
quick research it seems that this functionality is in PDF since Acrobat 4
(that should be PDF 1.3, right?) and is most likely called "Custom Page
Numbering". It would be amazing if ConTeXt/LuaTeX supports that too -
especially if you produce documents for screen reading.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the PDF Specification currently to give
you more info - so I don't even know for sure how that feature is officially
called.

Anyway, I hope that idea/suggestion/wish finds positive reactions ... and I
somehow hope that it isn't actually too hard to implement :-)

Best Regards,
Andreas.

* Re: PDF Custom Page Numbering
@ 2010-06-09 21:27 ` Hartmut Henkel
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2010-06-09 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Andreas Schneider wrote:

> while reading through the PDF to ISO-9075-1 (SQL99), I noticed
> something I had never seen before in a PDF: the page numbers displayed
> by Acrobat matched exactly the ones in the document ... the beginning
> was even numbered with roman numbers and the actual content started
> again at "Page 1". From a quick research it seems that this
> functionality is in PDF since Acrobat 4 (that should be PDF 1.3,
> right?) and is most likely called "Custom Page Numbering". It would be
> amazing if ConTeXt/LuaTeX supports that too - especially if you
> produce documents for screen reading.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have access to the PDF Specification currently
> to give you more info - so I don't even know for sure how that feature
> is officially called.
>
> Anyway, I hope that idea/suggestion/wish finds positive reactions ...
> and I somehow hope that it isn't actually too hard to implement :-)

it's named "Page Labels" (never seen before, thanks for the pointer), in
the PDF Reference 5th ed. it's in section 8.3.1, the example 8.3 there
typed into \pdfcatalog{} works right away, so no luatex engine
modification needed.

Regards, Hartmut

* Re: PDF Custom Page Numbering
@ 2010-06-10  4:35   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-06-10  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Hartmut Henkel wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Andreas Schneider wrote:
>
>> while reading through the PDF to ISO-9075-1 (SQL99), I noticed
>> something I had never seen before in a PDF: the page numbers displayed
>> by Acrobat matched exactly the ones in the document ... the beginning
>> was even numbered with roman numbers and the actual content started
>> again at "Page 1". From a quick research it seems that this
>> functionality is in PDF since Acrobat 4 (that should be PDF 1.3,
>> right?) and is most likely called "Custom Page Numbering". It would be
>> amazing if ConTeXt/LuaTeX supports that too - especially if you
>> produce documents for screen reading.
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't have access to the PDF Specification currently
>> to give you more info - so I don't even know for sure how that feature
>> is officially called.
>>
>> Anyway, I hope that idea/suggestion/wish finds positive reactions ...
>> and I somehow hope that it isn't actually too hard to implement :-)
>
> it's named "Page Labels" (never seen before, thanks for the pointer), in
> the PDF Reference 5th ed. it's in section 8.3.1, the example 8.3 there
> typed into \pdfcatalog{} works right away, so no luatex engine
> modification needed.

IIRC, the hyperref package in LaTeX supports this. I do not know if there
is a direct ConTeXt support.

Aditya

* Re: PDF Custom Page Numbering
@ 2010-06-10  6:38     ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2010-06-10  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Hartmut Henkel wrote:
>
>  On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Andreas Schneider wrote:
>>
>>  while reading through the PDF to ISO-9075-1 (SQL99), I noticed
>>> something I had never seen before in a PDF: the page numbers displayed
>>> by Acrobat matched exactly the ones in the document ... the beginning
>>> was even numbered with roman numbers and the actual content started
>>> again at "Page 1". From a quick research it seems that this
>>> functionality is in PDF since Acrobat 4 (that should be PDF 1.3,
>>> right?) and is most likely called "Custom Page Numbering". It would be
>>> amazing if ConTeXt/LuaTeX supports that too - especially if you
>>> produce documents for screen reading.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I don't have access to the PDF Specification currently
>>> to give you more info - so I don't even know for sure how that feature
>>> is officially called.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I hope that idea/suggestion/wish finds positive reactions ...
>>> and I somehow hope that it isn't actually too hard to implement :-)
>>>

>> it's named "Page Labels" (never seen before, thanks for the pointer), in
>> the PDF Reference 5th ed. it's in section 8.3.1, the example 8.3 there
>> typed into \pdfcatalog{} works right away, so no luatex engine
>> modification needed.
>>

> IIRC, the hyperref package in LaTeX supports this. I do not know if there
> is a direct ConTeXt support.

Not direct, but ConTeXt CAN do this:
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2008/036947.html
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20081016.174838.bff55fc9.en.html

> Aditya

Best Regards
Chen

         Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
        No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
            tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com

@ 2010-06-10  8:30   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-10  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9-6-2010 11:27, Hartmut Henkel wrote:

> it's named "Page Labels" (never seen before, thanks for the pointer), in
> the PDF Reference 5th ed. it's in section 8.3.1, the example 8.3 there
> typed into \pdfcatalog{} works right away, so no luatex engine
> modification needed.

i think that i wrote code for it once (as with most new pdf features)
but if it ever made it into the core ... i usually discard such things
when viewers behave strange or unpredictable

indeed it does not need a modified engine (most pdf things don't need a
modification anyway)

maybe if i'm bored i'll have a look at it (or when real strong arguments
show up); the only advantage that i remember is that it's more
convenient with printing a selecting page range

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-06-10  9:32     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-06-10  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-06-10 um 10:30 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> maybe if i'm bored i'll have a look at it (or when real strong
> arguments show up); the only advantage that i remember is that it's
> more convenient with printing a selecting page range

I consider it more professional when the displayed page number matches
the "printed" one. E.g. if I prepare PDFs of magazines for download, I
always change the custom page numbers of the cover to U1-U4, if the
internal page numbering starts with 1 on PDF page 3. Similar, if
there's a supplement in the middle.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: PDF Custom Page Numbering
@ 2010-06-10 11:04   ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-06-10 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hartmut Henkel wrote:

> it's named "Page Labels" (never seen before, thanks for the pointer), in
> the PDF Reference 5th ed. it's in section 8.3.1, the example 8.3 there
> typed into \pdfcatalog{} works right away, so no luatex engine
> modification needed.

Thank you for digging up the correct term! Now my search results also look
more promising :)

@ 2010-06-10 11:05       ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-06-10 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Zhichu Chen wrote:

> Not direct, but ConTeXt CAN do this:
> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2008/036947.html
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20081016.174838.bff55fc9.en.html

Awesome, I'll try that right away. Thank you!

@ 2010-06-10 11:35     ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-06-10 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 9-6-2010 11:27, Hartmut Henkel wrote:
>
>> it's named "Page Labels" (never seen before, thanks for the pointer), in
>> the PDF Reference 5th ed. it's in section 8.3.1, the example 8.3 there
>> typed into \pdfcatalog{} works right away, so no luatex engine
>> modification needed.
>
> i think that i wrote code for it once (as with most new pdf features)
> but if it ever made it into the core ... i usually discard such things
> when viewers behave strange or unpredictable
>
> indeed it does not need a modified engine (most pdf things don't need a
> modification anyway)
>
> maybe if i'm bored i'll have a look at it (or when real strong arguments
> show up); the only advantage that i remember is that it's more
> convenient with printing a selecting page range
>
> Hans

I tried the given example(s), but it seems that \pdfcatalog{} doesn't
currently work in MkIV (minimals, beta). The same example compiled fine in
MkII.

(I was trying the following code: