* \pdfcatalog broken in MkIV
@ 2010-06-11 13:39 Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-06-11 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

as suggested in the thread about PDF Page Labels, \pdfcatalog can be used to
manually modify the PDF Stream. However it seems that this does not
currently work in MkIV (from the minimals, beta branch). In MkII it does
exactly as I though (the resulting PDF contains a Catalog section with the
content I passed to \pdfcatalog). In the PDF produced by MkIV however no
Catalog can be found.

Best Regards,
Andreas.

* Re: \pdfcatalog broken in MkIV
@ 2010-06-23 10:43 ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-06-23 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Andreas Schneider wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as suggested in the thread about PDF Page Labels, \pdfcatalog can be used
> to manually modify the PDF Stream. However it seems that this does not
> currently work in MkIV (from the minimals, beta branch). In MkII it does
> exactly as I though (the resulting PDF contains a Catalog section with the
> content I passed to \pdfcatalog). In the PDF produced by MkIV however no
> Catalog can be found.
>
> Best Regards,
> Andreas.

*bump*

Any chance of having a fix for this? An example can be found here:
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20081016.174838.bff55fc9.en.html
texexec/MKII produces a PDF with said catalog, luatex/MKIV doesn't.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas.

* Re: \pdfcatalog broken in MkIV (wrong subject)
@ 2010-06-23 12:18   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-23 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23-6-2010 12:43, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Andreas Schneider wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> as suggested in the thread about PDF Page Labels, \pdfcatalog can be used
>> to manually modify the PDF Stream. However it seems that this does not
>> currently work in MkIV (from the minimals, beta branch). In MkII it does
>> exactly as I though (the resulting PDF contains a Catalog section with the
>> content I passed to \pdfcatalog). In the PDF produced by MkIV however no
>> Catalog can be found.

The \pdfcatalog primitive is not broken, it's simply not present in mkiv
where we have a rather strict control over access to pdf resources.

Anyhow, i'll add an option to the upcoming beta (normally I only do such
weird features in paid projects). The thing is that it has to be hooked
into the regular mechanisms properly (numbering, conversion) and the
code in the mail you refer to is not ok (as it's hardcoded).

Concerning your example, control over numbers happens this way:

\definestructureconversionset[frontpart:pagenumber][][romannumerals]
\definestructureconversionset[bodypart:pagenumber] [][numbers]

\setupuserpagenumber[way=byblock]
\setupuserpagenumber[numberconversionset=pagenumber]

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
     \completecontent[interaction=all]
     \chapter{Preface}
     \dorecurse{10}{\input zapf\par}
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
     \chapter{Test}      \dorecurse{15}{\input tufte\par}
     \chapter{TestAgain} \dorecurse{15}{\input ward\par}
\stopbodymatter

\startbackmatter
     Index maybe.
\stopbackmatter

\stoptext

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-06-23 13:31     ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-06-23 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:

> The \pdfcatalog primitive is not broken, it's simply not present in mkiv
> where we have a rather strict control over access to pdf resources.
>
> Anyhow, i'll add an option to the upcoming beta (normally I only do such
> weird features in paid projects). The thing is that it has to be hooked
> into the regular mechanisms properly (numbering, conversion) and the
> code in the mail you refer to is not ok (as it's hardcoded).

Indeed, it is a workaround. But I think it's not bad in this case. As you
said, it's a "weird feature" and probably one that isn't used by many
people. Having \pdfcatalog allows for that workaround to be used without you
having to implement anything specific for the suggested feature (pdf page
labels). It it's too much trouble or against the design principals of MkIV,
then please don't waste any time on it. The job you do with ConTeXt is
incredible and it is a very good environment to work in/with. This feature
is just a very very small cosmetic change to the final document, not a
showstopper or anything - I can live without it (but it would be a nice-to-
have).

Best Regards,
Andreas.