* centralized bib database
@ 2010-07-01  9:51 Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2010-07-01  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

AFAIK with the bib module one can't specify the database by an URL. I
believe such feature would be great in allowing users to centralise all
the bibliographical stuff in one place even when they work on several
machines/places.

regards,
--
Jean

* Re: centralized bib database
@ 2010-07-01  9:58 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-07-01  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/01/2010 11:51 AM, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> AFAIK with the bib module one can't specify the database by an URL. I
> believe such feature would be great in allowing users to centralise all
> the bibliographical stuff in one place even when they work on several
> machines/places.

There is a simple reason for that: bibtex cannot read URLs.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: centralized bib database
@ 2010-07-01 10:57 ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-07-01 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> AFAIK with the bib module one can't specify the database by an URL. I
> believe such feature would be great in allowing users to centralise all
> the bibliographical stuff in one place even when they work on several
> machines/places.
>
> regards,

I personally use Zotero for that - nice interface, online sync, file
database and of course: it can export to bibtex.

Mendeley might also work, but I had lots of problems with their "bibtex"
export (simply because it wasn't really bibtex, saving fields that aren't in
the specs, etc.)

Best Regards,
Andreas.

* Re: centralized bib database
@ 2010-07-01 11:35   ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2010-07-01 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 01 juillet à 11:58:11 Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> écrit notamment:

| On 07/01/2010 11:51 AM, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
| > Hi all,
| >
| > AFAIK with the bib module one can't specify the database by an URL. I
| > believe such feature would be great in allowing users to centralise all
| > the bibliographical stuff in one place even when they work on several
| > machines/places.
>
| There is a simple reason for that: bibtex cannot read URLs.

I see..

According to some messages from Hans, mkiv will someday be freed from
bibtex, is that right? Will we then have this feature?

As to zotero I know and use it, but it always requires some manipulations.

cheers,
--

@ 2010-07-01 11:38     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-07-01 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/01/2010 01:35 PM, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
> Le 01 juillet à 11:58:11 Taco Hoekwater<taco@elvenkind.com>  écrit notamment:
>
> | On 07/01/2010 11:51 AM, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
> |>  Hi all,
> |>
> |>  AFAIK with the bib module one can't specify the database by an URL. I
> |>  believe such feature would be great in allowing users to centralise all
> |>  the bibliographical stuff in one place even when they work on several
> |>  machines/places.
>>
> | There is a simple reason for that: bibtex cannot read URLs.
>
> I see..
>
> According to some messages from Hans, mkiv will someday be freed from
> bibtex, is that right? Will we then have this feature?

Probably yes, as the new system will be in-lined and using lua.

Best wishes,
Taco