* Re: Unicode bibliography
@ 2010-04-27 10:49 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-04-27 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca Miklavec:

> What still makes me wonder is tha fact that there are problems with
> Unicode. I don't remember any, though I admit that I'm not sure if I
> ever cited any non-English item.

Well, using Taco's trick of surrounding every sting with braces, the
record won't print out.  If I surround only the non-ascii characters
in braces, the record will print out, out of order and on top of other
records.

* Re: Unicode bibliography
@ 2010-04-27  8:44   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-04-27  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:14, Michael Saunders wrote:

> What do you use now?  Is there something better?

I don't know any better tool. JabRef seems great.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:57,  <richard.stephens@converteam.com> wrote:

>> Long ago (when I was still using JabRef) I was thinking about creating
>> support for export into ConTeXt-specific format.
>
> What a teaser! So if you're not using JabRef now, what are you using and
> why?

Eeeeem ... vim (or TextMate), but I guess that's not the answer you
were expecting.

As for the "why" part:
1.) I don't have too many references to manage/work with.
2.) One of the reasons for not actually writing support for ConTeXt
output in JabRef was that ConTeXt is able to read bib files; and one
of the reasons why I started using just plain text editor was that
JabRef didn't create such a ConTeXt-friendly format.
3.) Until 2005 I was more heavily engaged in the field where almost
every article I had to cite was in PubMed which is no longer true.
JabRef has an enourmous added value when one needs to use citeseer or
PubMed. What I would need now would be DOI2bib converter. As soon as
the time spent on copy-pasting data from article web pages to bib
files will outweight the time spent writing the converter, I'll
probably start writing one (but that still won't be comparable with
JabRef).

What still makes me wonder is tha fact that there are problems with
Unicode. I don't remember any, though I admit that I'm not sure if I
ever cited any non-English item.

Mojca

* Re: Unicode bibliography
@ 2010-04-27  8:14 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-04-27  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca Miklavec:

       [not found] <mailman.749.1272353013.4277.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-04-27  7:57 ` richard.stephens
From: richard.stephens @ 2010-04-27  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

* Re: Unicode bibliography
@ 2010-04-27  6:49 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-04-27  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-27  6:05 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-04-27  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Saunders wrote:
> I'm using JabRef to generate a .bib file in utf8.  I'd like to use
> this with Context to typeset a bibliography.  I'm running into a lot
> of problems with Bibtex's Unicode incompatibility.  What is currently
> the best way to do this?   Googling, I came across this tantalizing
> suggestion from Idris (in 2008):
>
> "Can you port your database to bbl format -- \start-stoppublication --
> and just use the bib module without bibtex?"

> That sounds good, but how can I do it?

You can do that manually following the documentation of the bib module,
but you can probably get bibtex to help at least with the initial step
by wrapping all your strings in a second pair of {} items. So, write

   author= {{D. Adams}}

instead of just

   author= {D. Adams}

this will prevent bibtex from looking into the string, and therefore
it will not do bad things with the utf (the bibtex output will be
a little bit wrong, but it is easier to fix just that manually than
to rewrite the whole database in bbl format).

Best of luck,
Taco

* Unicode bibliography
@ 2010-04-27  3:24 Michael Saunders