* Fonts readily available in Context
@ 2009-01-13  4:17 Curious
From: Curious @ 2009-01-13  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello All:

There are quite a few fonts available in Latex with matching math fonts. The way
a user like me who understands nothing about fonts can use them is to simply
load a package. For example, for charter I can simply use the command

\usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}

Or, to use Palatino for text and some maching math fonts, I can use the command

\usepackage{mathpazo}

Are there fonts in Context with matching Math fonts other than Computer modern
that can be used in an as simple manner,i.e., by just issuing few commands. If
yes, can you please guide me to a resource which lists at least some of these
fonts (again they should have matching math fonts) and the simple commands
necessary to load them. I would find that really helpful

Thanks very much.

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context
@ 2009-01-13  5:06 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-01-13  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

just a small example:

\usetypescript[palatino]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]
Hello
\startformula
\int_a^b f(x)\,{\rm d} x
\stopformula
\bye

@ 2009-01-13  6:10   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-01-13  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Yue Wang wrote:

> just a small example:
>

> \usetypescript[palatino]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]
> Hello
> \startformula
> \int_a^b f(x)\,{\rm d} x
> \stopformula
> \bye

For times

\usetypescript[times]
\setupbodyfont[times]

For Antykwa-torunska

\usetypescript[antykwa-torunska]
\setupbodyfont[antykwa]

For iwona

\usetypescript[iwona]
\setupbodyfont[iwona]

There is also support for fourier, euler, and kurier, but no you have to
invoke them explicitly, useing \definetypeface.

Mojca, why is there no built in typescirpt for kurier in type-otf?

Aditya

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context
@ 2009-01-13  8:12     ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2009-01-13  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is also support for fourier, euler, and kurier, but no you have to
> invoke them explicitly, useing \definetypeface.

Is there really support for fourier? I've not been able to get it
working since long time ago. I get utopia text working, but not
fourier math. See the previous threads:
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070830.154143.005528b8.en.html
and
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080928.193441.874bb515.en.html

If there is anything I can do, please tell me.

/Mikael

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context
@ 2009-01-13 10:42     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-01-13 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Mojca, why is there no built in typescirpt for kurier in type-otf?

Not so long ago Hans sent "ok, just figure it out with wolfgang and
send me what is needed" to the mailing list ([NTG-context] kurier
font?) and then I went for unexpected holidays without computer twice
since then.

We just need to revise the three files (type-[one,otf,tmf]) and send
them to Hans - feel free to jump in.

Mojca

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context
@ 2009-01-13 11:00 ` Mojca Miklavec
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-01-13 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Curious wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> There are quite a few fonts available in Latex with matching math fonts. The way
> a user like me who understands nothing about fonts can use them is to simply
> load a package. For example, for charter I can simply use the command
>
> \usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}

Aditya has just suggested to create a bunch of definitions equal to
those in mathdesign. Mathdesign include three typefaces that have not
been implemented in ConTeXt yet, and I agree that they could (should)
be.

> Or, to use Palatino for text and some maching math fonts, I can use the command
>
> \usepackage{mathpazo}

ConTeXt currently has no support for mathpazo (one can always write
it), but it uses pxfonts. I don't know if that's better or worse, but
at least it works out of the box.

> Are there fonts in Context with matching Math fonts other than Computer modern
> that can be used in an as simple manner,i.e., by just issuing few commands.

As others have already written:
- "Palatino", "Times" (TeX Gyre, actually)
- Lucida (if you have the fonts)
- Iwona, Kurier, Antykwa Torunska
- Euler, Fourier, Concrete Math - never tried it myself

> If
> yes, can you please guide me to a resource which lists at least some of these
> fonts (again they should have matching math fonts) and the simple commands
> necessary to load them. I would find that really helpful

For palatino, times, iwona, kurier (not yet, but should be fixed),
antykwa-torunska, see Yue's and Aditya's answer. In Unicode (xetex,
luatex) you should use
   \usetpescript[name]
   \setupbodyfont[name,sizeorstyleifneeded]
and in pdfTeX you need
   \usetpescript[name][ec]
   \setupbodyfont[name,sizeorstyleifneeded]

You can take a look at type-tmf.tex, type-one.tex, type-otf.tex and
math-*.tex in ConTeXt sources.

Mojca

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context
@ 2009-01-13 11:17   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-01-13 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Aditya has just suggested to create a bunch of definitions equal to
> those in mathdesign. Mathdesign include three typefaces that have not
> been implemented in ConTeXt yet, and I agree that they could (should)
> be.

keep in mind that this will only work for mkii (unless the default tex
encoding is used); mkiv will operate in unicode math mode and if we want
to support older math fonts there we should make a setup for virtual
unicode math fonts (no big deal but i have no time for it now)

>> Or, to use Palatino for text and some maching math fonts, I can use the command
>>
>> \usepackage{mathpazo}
>
> ConTeXt currently has no support for mathpazo (one can always write
> it), but it uses pxfonts. I don't know if that's better or worse, but
> at least it works out of the box.

so what is the advantage over what we have then? currently we use px too
and eventuallt it will be replaced by gyre

> - Euler, Fourier, Concrete Math - never tried it myself

concrete is fun by there are no outlines (at least no good free ones
that i know of)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-01-13 13:39   ` Curious
From: Curious @ 2009-01-13 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Aditya has just suggested to create a bunch of definitions equal to
> those in mathdesign. Mathdesign include three typefaces that have not
> been implemented in ConTeXt yet, and I agree that they could (should)
> be.

> ConTeXt currently has no support for mathpazo (one can always write
> it), but it uses pxfonts. I don't know if that's better or worse, but
> at least it works out of the box.
>

> As others have already written:
> - "Palatino", "Times" (TeX Gyre, actually)
> - Lucida (if you have the fonts)
> - Iwona, Kurier, Antykwa Torunska
> - Euler, Fourier, Concrete Math - never tried it myself
>

> For palatino, times, iwona, kurier (not yet, but should be fixed),
> antykwa-torunska, see Yue's and Aditya's answer. In Unicode (xetex,
> luatex) you should use
>    \usetpescript[name]
>    \setupbodyfont[name,sizeorstyleifneeded]
> and in pdfTeX you need
>    \usetpescript[name][ec]
>    \setupbodyfont[name,sizeorstyleifneeded]
>
> You can take a look at type-tmf.tex, type-one.tex, type-otf.tex and
> math-*.tex in ConTeXt sources.
>
> Mojca

Thank you so much to all of you who replied. I suppose that the commands of the
type

\usetypescript[name][ec]
\setupbodyfont[name,sizeorstyleifneeded]

that you suggested will also load the matching math fonts. I will also take a
look at the documents Mojca has referred to. As Aditya and Mojca suggested, it
would be great to have the fonts that are supported in Mathdesign...those are
beautiful.

Thanks again. I will try these definitions out and let you know if I run into
any trouble.

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context - Did not work
@ 2009-01-13 13:53   ` Curious
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Curious @ 2009-01-13 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

Somehow the commands do not work. I added the following two lines

\usetypescript[palatino]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]

and the output is exactly the same as before. That is there is no change in the
font even in the text. I am using TeXlive.

Thanks for your help.

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context - Did not work
@ 2009-01-13 13:56     ` Yue Wang
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-01-13 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

work in luatex. pdftex should specify the encoding.

@ 2009-01-13 13:59     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-13 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.01.2009 um 14:53 schrieb Curious:

> Hello,
>
> Somehow the commands do not work. I added the following two lines
>
> \usetypescript[palatino]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]
>
> and the output is exactly the same as before. That is there is no
> change in the
> font even in the text. I am using TeXlive.

We need more information to help you.

Do you use MkII, then write

\usetypescript[palatino][ec]

If you use MkIV or a newer ConTeXt version, then install the TeX Gyre
fonts.

Wolfgang

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context - Did not work
@ 2009-01-13 14:00     ` Curious
From: Curious @ 2009-01-13 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Curious <curiouslearn <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Somehow the commands do not work. I added the following two lines
>
> \usetypescript[palatino]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]
>
> and the output is exactly the same as before. That is there is no change in the
> font even in the text. I am using TeXlive.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Sorry about not specifying the error. I get an error saying that "I can't find
file pxr"

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context - Did not work
@ 2009-01-13 14:13       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-13 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.01.2009 um 15:00 schrieb Curious:

>> Hello,
>>
>> Somehow the commands do not work. I added the following two lines
>>
>> \usetypescript[palatino]
>> \setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]
>>
>> and the output is exactly the same as before. That is there is no
>> change in the
>> font even in the text. I am using TeXlive.
>
> Sorry about not specifying the error. I get an error saying that "I
> can't find
> file pxr"

The math fonts are missing, you need to install the pxfonts package.

Wolfgang

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context - Did not work
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-13 16:37     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-01-13 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Curious wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Somehow the commands do not work. I added the following two lines
>
> \usetypescript[palatino]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,rm,12pt]
>
> and the output is exactly the same as before. That is there is no change in the
> font even in the text. I am using TeXlive.

Hello,

apart from what others have written you (to install pxfonts, to use
\usetypescript[palatino][ec] if you are using pdfTeX and not xetex or
luatex), you can also try to update ConTeXt if you know what you are
doing*. Or at least a warning should be in place: the latest ConTeXt
uses TeX Gyre + pxfonts exclusively, while the older ConTeXt uses URW
fonts. The difference is tiny, but there is some.

Mojca

* If you don't know what you are doing, then using the version that
comes with TeX Live might be safer, but you won't be able to test any
improvements that might arise on your request

* Re: Fonts readily available in Context - Did not work
@ 2009-01-14  0:46       ` Curious
From: Curious @ 2009-01-14  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Hello,
>
> apart from what others have written you (to install pxfonts, to use
> \usetypescript[palatino][ec] if you are using pdfTeX and not xetex or
> luatex), you can also try to update ConTeXt if you know what you are
> doing*. Or at least a warning should be in place: the latest ConTeXt
> uses TeX Gyre + pxfonts exclusively, while the older ConTeXt uses URW
> fonts. The difference is tiny, but there is some.
>
> Mojca
>
> * If you don't know what you are doing, then using the version that
> comes with TeX Live might be safer, but you won't be able to test any
> improvements that might arise on your request

Thanks you all once again for your help. I installed pxfonts and the command now
works great and I do get the Palatino output. I am very new to Context and this
last week was mainly a kind of trial to see how I like it. So far I love what I
see. Also, I think the fact that there are so many helpful people here in this
forum has convinced me that if I get stuck with something, which I will, there
are experts whom I could ask for help. Hence, I have decided to use it for most
of my documents. Things are very busy now, and hence for the next month or so I
plan to continue using the version that comes with TeXlive, but after that I
will try to update and get the latest stable version. I hope that in future
Context makes more fonts available. For now it seems I will be using Palatino,
which is good too.

Thanks again.