* Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-03-31 22:38 curiouslearn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: curiouslearn @ 2009-03-31 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Can someone please help me with the following questions so that I can use some
of the typescripts that Wolfgang and some others have so kindly made available.

I will use font Bera as an example, since I would like to use it.

I have a Mac OS X Version 10.5.6

(1) How do I know if I have font Bera? As in, where on my computer do I look to
see if I have font Bera installed?

(2) If I do not have the font, how do I install Bera? I see that there are files
on ctan. Where should I save this?

(3) Once I have installed the font and I have downloaded Wolfgang's
type-bera.tex file, where do I save this file? Can I save it where I save the
third-party modules. Once I save it, do I run the usual texhash, followed by
luatools --generate followed by context --make

(4) Once I have accomplished the top three steps, how do I use it in a document?
Do I just type

\usetypescript[bera]
\switchtobodyfont[bera,12pt]

OR,

do I also have to type \usemodule[type-bera]

I would really appreciate any help.

* Re: Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-03-31 23:12 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-31 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.04.2009 um 00:38 schrieb curiouslearn:

> Can someone please help me with the following questions so that I
> can use some
> of the typescripts that Wolfgang and some others have so kindly made
> available.
>
> I will use font Bera as an example, since I would like to use it.
>
> I have a Mac OS X Version 10.5.6
>
> (1) How do I know if I have font Bera? As in, where on my computer
> do I look to
> see if I have font Bera installed?

All my typescripts work with XeTeX/LuaTeX only, if you want to use
pdfTeX write
your own typescripts.

You can show a list of all available fonts for LuaTeX with 'mtxrun --
script fonts --list'
and for XeTeX with 'fc-list' on the terminal.

Bera is a Bitsream Vera modification and I suggest to use DejaVu
instead, you can
find a link to the font in the file.

> (2) If I do not have the font, how do I install Bera? I see that
> there are files
> on ctan. Where should I save this?

The easiest way is to install the font as normal system fonts.

> (3) Once I have installed the font and I have downloaded Wolfgang's
> type-bera.tex file, where do I save this file? Can I save it where I
> save the
> third-party modules. Once I save it, do I run the usual texhash,
> followed by
> luatools --generate followed by context --make

Save the file in your local TeX tree, I have them under 'texmf-local/
tex/context/third/typescrips/'.

Before you could use them TeX has to know about the file, to do this
call
'mktexlsr' for XeTeX and 'luatools --generate' or 'context --generate'
for LuaTeX.

'context --make' is only used to create a new format file for ConTeXt
but you
don't need this for third party files which are loaded at runtime.

> (4) Once I have accomplished the top three steps, how do I use it in
> a document?
> Do I just type
>
> \usetypescript[bera]
> \switchtobodyfont[bera,12pt]

\usetypescriptfile[type-...] % load the typescript file

\usetypescript[...] % load the typescript
\setupbodyfont[...]

Wolfgang

* Re: Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-03-31 23:54 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-03-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

curiouslearn wrote:
> Can someone please help me with the following questions so that I can use some
> of the typescripts that Wolfgang and some others have so kindly made available.
>
> I will use font Bera as an example, since I would like to use it.
>
> I have a Mac OS X Version 10.5.6
>
> (1) How do I know if I have font Bera? As in, where on my computer do I look to
> see if I have font Bera installed?

if you run the minimals, and probably also linux, this should tell you
if the font has been cached.  i'm not sure if the pattern is case sensitive.

  $ mtxrun --script font --list
--pattern=*bera*

> (2) If I do not have the font, how do I install Bera? I see that there are files
> on ctan. Where should I save this?

is it an OpenType font?  on linux i just put it into my ~/.fonts/ dir.
> (3) Once I have installed the font and I have downloaded Wolfgang's
> type-bera.tex file, where do I save this file? Can I save it where I save the
> third-party modules. Once I save it, do I run the usual texhash, followed by
> luatools --generate followed by context --make

just put it in current dir and see if it works, you won't need to run
those commands (i think).

@ 2009-04-01  0:53   ` curiouslearn
From: curiouslearn @ 2009-04-01  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang and Mohamed, thanks very much to both of you.

I downloaded the deja vu font and installed it as I would install any other font
on my Mac (using "Add fonts" feature in the font book). I see it listed now in
the font book and can use it in word. However, it does not show up when I type

mtxrun --script fonts --list

in the terminal. I am not interested in using Xetex. I am using MKIV, which is I
suppose Luatex and hence did not run mktexlsr. However, after I installed the
font and saved the type-dejavu.tex file in the appropriate place, I did run
luatools --generate.

Do I have to do something so that it shows up in the list that I get by entering

mtxrun --script fonts --list

at the terminal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

* Re: Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-04-01  1:17     ` curiouslearn
From: curiouslearn @ 2009-04-01  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Just wanted to say that even if Deja Vu does not show up with

mtxrun --script fonts --list

it does work!! I am not sure why.

Wolfgang thanks so much for the typescript.

* Re: Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-04-01  1:41       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-01  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, curiouslearn wrote:

> Just wanted to say that even if Deja Vu does not show up with
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --list
>
> it does work!! I am not sure why.

Try

mtxrun --script fonts --reload

Aditya

* Re: Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-04-01  1:51         ` curiouslearn
From: curiouslearn @ 2009-04-01  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> > it does work!! I am not sure why.
>
> Try
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>
> Aditya

Thanks Aditya. That worked. Now it shows with

mtxrun --script fonts --list.

Its a beautiful font. I was also meaning to ask you, which font you used in your
simpleslides documentation? Is It is a very beautiful document.

* Re: Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-04-01  2:01           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-01  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, curiouslearn wrote:

>>> it does work!! I am not sure why.
>>
>> Try
>>
>> mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>>
>> Aditya
>
> Thanks Aditya. That worked. Now it shows with
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --list.
>
> Its a beautiful font. I was also meaning to ask you, which font you used in your
> simpleslides documentation? Is It is a very beautiful document.

DejaVu :-) They typescripts were modified from Wolfgang's typescripts.

Aditya

* Re: Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-04-01  5:28       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-04-01  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.04.2009 um 03:17 schrieb curiouslearn:

> Just wanted to say that even if Deja Vu does not show up with
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --list
>
> it does work!! I am not sure why.

It works because context checks all directories if you use a font
which is not font in his internal list.

Wolfgang

* Re: Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-04-01 18:40             ` curiouslearn
From: curiouslearn @ 2009-04-01 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Aditya Mahajan <adityam <at> umich.edu> writes:

> DejaVu  They typescripts were modified from Wolfgang's typescripts.
>
> Aditya

Do you use a different font for Math in your typescript. Or, have not bothered
with the math font because there is no math in the manual. I printed some stuff
with Wolfgang's script and find that computer modern does not seem to go as well
with dejavu. Then I replaced the line

\definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [modern]         [default]

with

\definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [palatino]         [default]

knowing that palatino has math support. The math with this change to palatino
seems to go better with dejavu text for the simple math that I had (no
complicated symbols). Can someone please tell me if this is the only change I
need to make to Wolfgang's script, if I want to use palatino for math (with all
the symbols and such) in dejavu.

Thanks.

* Re: Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-04-01 20:41               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-04-01 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.04.2009 um 20:40 schrieb curiouslearn:

> Can someone please tell me if this is the only change I
> need to make to Wolfgang's script, if I want to use palatino for
> math (with all
> the symbols and such) in dejavu.

Yes, that's all you have to do. I can change this in the file but
can you show me a example with the different combinations before
I'll do this.

Wolfgang

* Re: Font and Typescript Questions
@ 2009-04-02  7:41               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-02  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

curiouslearn wrote:
> Aditya Mahajan <adityam <at> umich.edu> writes:
>
>> DejaVu  They typescripts were modified from Wolfgang's typescripts.
>>
>> Aditya
>

> Do you use a different font for Math in your typescript. Or, have not bothered
> with the math font because there is no math in the manual. I printed some stuff
> with Wolfgang's script and find that computer modern does not seem to go as well
> with dejavu. Then I replaced the line
>
> \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [modern]         [default]
>
> with
>
> \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [palatino]         [default]
>
> knowing that palatino has math support. The math with this change to palatino
> seems to go better with dejavu text for the simple math that I had (no
> complicated symbols). Can someone please tell me if this is the only change I
> need to make to Wolfgang's script, if I want to use palatino for math (with all
> the symbols and such) in dejavu.

maybe add [rscale=0.8] or whatever looks best

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Font and Typescript problems
@ 2009-05-03  9:38 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-05-03  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I am perhaps using font typescripts incorrectly. Nevertheless, the recent
minimals from the garden appears to have introduced a bug handling rscale.

Thanks,

Alan

Minimal example:

\definetypeface [postscript] [rm] [serif] [times]     [default]
\definetypeface [postscript] [ss] [sans]  [helvetica] [default] [rscale=.9]
\definetypeface [postscript] [tt] [mono]  [courier]   [default] [rscale=1.1]
\switchtotypeface [postscript] [12pt]
\setupbodyfont [sans,12pt]

\starttext
text
\stoptext

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                   .
\relativefontsize ->.
                     9
\dodefinebodyfontnopxx ...umber \relativefontsize
                                                  }{#2}{#2#1#3#4#5}
{\normalu...
\next6 #1,->\dodododefinebodyfont {ss}{4pt}{#1}
                                               \doprocesscommaitem
<argument> \relax tf=Sans sa 1,
                                bf=SansBold sa 1, it=SansItalic sa 1,
sl=San...
\doprocesscommalist ...aitem \gobbleoneargument #1
                                                  ,]\relax \global \advance
l.2 ...] [sans]  [helvetica] [default] [rscale=.9]

* Re: Font and Typescript problems
@ 2009-05-04  8:51   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-04  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> I am perhaps using font typescripts incorrectly. Nevertheless, the recent
> minimals from the garden appears to have introduced a bug handling rscale.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan
>
> Minimal example:
>
> \definetypeface [postscript] [rm] [serif] [times]     [default]
> \definetypeface [postscript] [ss] [sans]  [helvetica] [default] [rscale=.9]
> \definetypeface [postscript] [tt] [mono]  [courier]   [default] [rscale=1.1]
> \switchtotypeface [postscript] [12pt]
> \setupbodyfont [sans,12pt]
>
> \starttext
> text
> \stoptext
>

> ! Missing number, treated as zero.
> <to be read again>
>                    .
> \relativefontsize ->.
>                      9

does 0.9 work?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-04  9:04     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-04  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.05.2009 um 10:51 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>> I am perhaps using font typescripts incorrectly. Nevertheless, the
>> recent minimals from the garden appears to have introduced a bug
>> handling rscale.
>> Thanks,
>> Alan
>> Minimal example:
>> \definetypeface [postscript] [rm] [serif] [times]     [default]
>> \definetypeface [postscript] [ss] [sans]  [helvetica] [default]
>> [rscale=.9]
>> \definetypeface [postscript] [tt] [mono]  [courier]   [default]
>> [rscale=1.1]
>> \switchtotypeface [postscript] [12pt]
>> \setupbodyfont [sans,12pt]
>> \starttext
>> text
>> \stoptext
>> ! Missing number, treated as zero.
>> <to be read again>
>>                   .
>> \relativefontsize ->.
>>                     9
>
> does 0.9 work?

It works but can you change this in type-one.tex and type-otf.tex for
the postscript
typescript and in type-cow.tex (all use rscale=.xx)

Wolfgang

* Re: Font and Typescript problems
@ 2009-05-04  9:10       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-04  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 04.05.2009 um 10:51 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>>> I am perhaps using font typescripts incorrectly. Nevertheless, the
>>> recent minimals from the garden appears to have introduced a bug
>>> handling rscale.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alan
>>> Minimal example:
>>> \definetypeface [postscript] [rm] [serif] [times]     [default]
>>> \definetypeface [postscript] [ss] [sans]  [helvetica] [default]
>>> [rscale=.9]
>>> \definetypeface [postscript] [tt] [mono]  [courier]   [default]
>>> [rscale=1.1]
>>> \switchtotypeface [postscript] [12pt]
>>> \setupbodyfont [sans,12pt]
>>> \starttext
>>> text
>>> \stoptext
>>> ! Missing number, treated as zero.
>>> <to be read again>
>>>                   .
>>> \relativefontsize ->.
>>>                     9
>>
>> does 0.9 work?
>
> It works but can you change this in type-one.tex and type-otf.tex for
> the postscript
> typescript and in type-cow.tex (all use rscale=.xx)

sure. (btw, it'd due to the fact that lua does not like var = .123)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-04  9:19     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-05-04  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On Monday 04 May 2009 10:51:39 Hans Hagen wrote:
> does 0.9 work?

Yes, "0.9" in
\definetypeface [postscript] [ss] [sans]  [helvetica] [default] [rscale=0.9]
works... Thanks!

Nevertheless,
\usetypescript[postscript]
and other macros are currently broken.

Alan

* Re: Font and Typescript problems
@ 2009-05-04 10:17         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-04 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.05.2009 um 11:10 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>>> does 0.9 work?
>> It works but can you change this in type-one.tex and type-otf.tex
>> for the postscript
>> typescript and in type-cow.tex (all use rscale=.xx)
>
> sure. (btw, it'd due to the fact that lua does not like var = .123)

Not in my context version, the problem here is the \number in front of
\relativefontsize
(font-ini.mkiv) which is not there in the mkii code.

Wolfgang