* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 95
       [not found] <mailman.1011.1268906049.26807.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-03-18 11:00 ` Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-03-18 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster:

> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>
> \definefontfeature[smcp][smcp=yes]
> \definefontfeature[frac][frac=yes]
>
> \setuphead[chapter][textstyle=\addfs{frac}\addfs{smcp}]

This is just an example, but what I think you mean to say by it is
that the new command \addfs{} has the behavior I describe, but only
for otf features and not for things like switching to semibold or to
condensed (and, presumably, even if I'm able to define my own commands
for things like semibold, something like:
\sb ABC \it DEF
would set the DEF at regular weight).

Since I've never seen anyone talk about \addfs{}, but only give
examples, I'm guessing (but just guessing) that there exists somewhere
a list of what otf features are active at any given point, and that
this command can add to that list.  That's great.  I might not need it
anytime soon, but I'm just curious---are there other commands of this
kind?  Maybe something to clear the list?

That leaves me the problem of installing sets with more than two
weights, more than one width and several design sizes, as we spoke
about earlier.  It's late in the day here, but I hope to try that out
tomorrow.  Just to make sure I understand the example you and Mojca
gave me:

> \definebodyfont [default] [rm]
>  [tf=Serif sa 1,
>   bf=SerifBold sa 1,
>   it=SerifItalic sa 1,
>   sl=SerifSlanted sa 1,
>   bi=SerifBoldItalic sa 1,
>   bs=SerifBoldSlanted sa 1,
>   sc=SerifCaps sa 1]
>
> You could add your
>  in=SerifYourFontVariantName sa 1,
>  bd=SerifYourOtherFontVariantName sa 1,

I think I can add this block to the top of my own typescript,
duplicate the existing definitions as shown, and, when making up my
own, I think I'm free to define font switches with more than two
characters, so, e.g.:
sbexit=SansSemiboldExtendedItalic sa 1
so, I won't be able to switch variants of this kind independently, but
at least I can get them installed.

After that, I'll move on to the optical examples and see what I can do
about that (I'm hoping they provide for automatic switching of design
size).

Thank you,

-- m

* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 95
@ 2010-03-18 13:29   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-18 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-3-2010 12:00, Michael Saunders wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster:
>
>> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>>
>> \definefontfeature[smcp][smcp=yes]
>> \definefontfeature[frac][frac=yes]
>>
>> \setuphead[chapter][textstyle=\addfs{frac}\addfs{smcp}]
>
> This is just an example, but what I think you mean to say by it is
> that the new command \addfs{} has the behavior I describe, but only
> for otf features and not for things like switching to semibold or to
> condensed (and, presumably, even if I'm able to define my own commands
> for things like semibold, something like:
> \sb ABC \it DEF
> would set the DEF at regular weight).
>
> Since I've never seen anyone talk about \addfs{}, but only give
> examples, I'm guessing (but just guessing) that there exists somewhere
> a list of what otf features are active at any given point, and that
> this command can add to that list.  That's great.  I might not need it
> anytime soon, but I'm just curious---are there other commands of this
> kind?  Maybe something to clear the list?

this mechanism is one of the spin off's of the oriental tex project
(where we play font fonts that have 50+ stylistic variants and 20+
justification variants)

\addfontfeaturetoset        {..} % merge
\subtractfontfeaturefromset {..} % merge
\addfontfeaturetofont       {..} % overload
\subtractfontfeaturefromfont{..} % overload

\let\addfs\addfontfeaturetoset
\let\subfs\subtractfontfeaturefromset
\let\addff\addfontfeaturetofont
\let\subff\subtractfontfeaturefromfont

there's also \setfontfeature and \setff

in principle you can also use this to let fonts adapt to a language /
script and in due time i'll add it as automatism there

(internally in mkiv this is what we call dynamic features)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-03-18 13:30   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-18 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-3-2010 12:00, Michael Saunders wrote:

btw, can those who use the digest mail options please adapt the subject
to something meaningful?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-03-18 14:19     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-03-18 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hans Hagen <pragma <at> wxs.nl> writes:

> On 18-3-2010 12:00, Michael Saunders wrote:
>
>  > ...
>
> btw, can those who use the digest mail options please adapt the subject
> to something meaningful?

Or use the gmane archive for followups:

  http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context

Just select the message you want to reply to, choose 'followup' from the
dropdown list, and you will get a web form that you can use for replying (as I
did here).

Best wishes,
Taco