* absolute positioning?
@ 2007-12-08 16:22 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-12-08 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello!

What is the current most contextish way for absolute positioning of
text (still using MK II)? I have to create a title page for a document
where several frameless boxes of text have to be placed on the page.
Is this still the layer mechanism? I mean, ConTeXt evolves so quickly,
being absent for one real year means being absent for about 10
ConTeXt-years.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: absolute positioning?
@ 2007-12-08 17:26 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-08 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:22:50 +0100
Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> What is the current most contextish way for absolute positioning of
> text (still using MK II)? I have to create a title page for a document
> where several frameless boxes of text have to be placed on the page.
> Is this still the layer mechanism? I mean, ConTeXt evolves so quickly,
> being absent for one real year means being absent for about 10
> ConTeXt-years.
>
> Patrick

Hi Patrick,

seems like you have nearly finished your thesis and yes, layers are
still the tool of your choice, especially the framed alternative
\setlayerframed. You can pass font changes to the framed part with the
setups command or set special backgrounds to the frame.

Although I never used them you could take a look at collcetors, anchors
(use layers intern) ornaments, a few of them are documented in the
details manual but I don't what the difference is between them.

BTW: LuaTeX on the wiki is broken, could be related to a outdated
luatex because the error mesage is
Error in lua file loading: /opt/context/current/bin/luatools.lua:1402:
attempt to call field 'gettimeofday' (a nil value)

Wolfgang

* Re: absolute positioning?
@ 2007-12-08 18:25   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-12-08 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> BTW: LuaTeX on the wiki is broken

  Fixed.  Thanks for the heads up!

>                                    could be related to a outdated
> luatex because the error mesage is
> Error in lua file loading: /opt/context/current/bin/luatools.lua:1402:
> attempt to call field 'gettimeofday' (a nil value)

  Yes, that was it.  The LuaTeX version used up to 5 minutes ago was SVN
trunk revision 836, as written on the page.  I've upgraded to beta-0.20.1

	Arthur

* Re: absolute positioning?
@ 2007-12-08 22:59 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-08 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hello!
>
> What is the current most contextish way for absolute positioning of
> text (still using MK II)? I have to create a title page for a document
> where several frameless boxes of text have to be placed on the page.
> Is this still the layer mechanism? I mean, ConTeXt evolves so quickly,
> being absent for one real year means being absent for about 10
> ConTeXt-years.

grep for layers (context layers, not pdf ones)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: absolute positioning?
@ 2007-12-09 16:48   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-12-09 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Wolfgang,

> seems like you have nearly finished your thesis

Well, concerning time: yes. concerning progress: no.

> and yes, layers are still the tool of your choice, especially the
> framed alternative \setlayerframed. You can pass font changes to the
> framed part with the setups command or set special backgrounds to
> the frame.

OK, I'll give it a try and post an example on the wiki.

Thanks!

Patrick

--

@ 2007-12-15 16:35   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-12-15 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Wolfgang,

>> What is the current most contextish way for absolute positioning of
>> text (still using MK II)?

> layers are still the tool of your choice

Actually the examples on the wiki were very helpful.

Thanks to all,

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net