* The windows minimal exe installer
@ 2008-09-07  4:28 Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-09-07  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

For automatic environment setup, I think there are two values should
be changed for better directory support:

TEXMFCNF -->  ...\texmf\web2c (why did it find texmf-local/context on
my machine ?)
TEXMF  ---> {...} // add values like texmf-fonts, texmf-project,
texmf-extra, etc. defined in setuptex.bat.

Yue Wang

* Re: The windows minimal exe installer
@ 2008-09-07  4:33 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-09-07  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

btw, I think Windows users are not command line experts. I think the
minimal installer can add more options.
for example, which distribution to choose (MKIV or XeTeX or pdfTeX),
which fonts to be download (TeXGyre, Kurier, Iwona...) according to
the distribution (in MKIV and XeTeX, download otf, otherwise download
type1 format).
and if the user download MKII version, we should automatically check
ruby, if not present, install it for the user.

@ 2008-09-08  1:06   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-09-08  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 6:33 AM, Yue Wang wrote:
> btw, I think Windows users are not command line experts. I think the
> minimal installer can add more options.
> for example, which distribution to choose (MKIV or XeTeX or pdfTeX),

Isn't that available already? (No windows to test.)

> which fonts to be download (TeXGyre, Kurier, Iwona...) according to
> the distribution

We need to split fonts first.

> (in MKIV and XeTeX, download otf, otherwise download
> type1 format).

That's already working (should be at least).

> and if the user download MKII version, we should automatically check
> ruby, if not present, install it for the user.

Installer has just been fixed two days ago or so. It's a good thing
that we already get bug reports/feature requests :) :) :) We're also
collecting them on https://launchpad.net/context

Installing ruby is something that's up to Vyatcheslav to implement.

Mojca

> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For automatic environment setup, I think there are two values should
>> be changed for better directory support:
>>
>> TEXMFCNF -->  ...\texmf\web2c (why did it find texmf-local/context on
>> my machine ?)
>> TEXMF  ---> {...} // add values like texmf-fonts, texmf-project,
>> texmf-extra, etc. defined in setuptex.bat.

Vyatcheslav?

* Re: The windows minimal exe installer
@ 2008-09-08  5:16     ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-09-08  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That's already working (should be at least).
I mean the GUI installer. Windows users seldom do command line job:)

btw, I mailed a bug report to context@lists.launchpad.net one week
ago, but it seems that no one received it:(
When I use minimals in Linux, in MKII, anything that have something to
do with "btex... etex" wont work because texexec cannot find other mp
software. so it always reports it failed to process the mpx files.
Windows minimals seemed to have mpto/makempx/... binaries, however,
Linux Minimals did not have them.

* Re: The windows minimal exe installer
@ 2008-09-08  5:49       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-09-08  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Yue Wang wrote:

>> That's already working (should be at least).
> I mean the GUI installer. Windows users seldom do command line job:)
>
> btw, I mailed a bug report to context@lists.launchpad.net one week
> ago, but it seems that no one received it:(
> When I use minimals in Linux, in MKII, anything that have something to
> do with "btex... etex" wont work because texexec cannot find other mp
> software. so it always reports it failed to process the mpx files.
> Windows minimals seemed to have mpto/makempx/... binaries, however,
> Linux Minimals did not have them.

Linux minimals for 64 bit has mpto and makempx and a simple file with btex
and etex works fine with mkii.

Aditya

* Re: The windows minimal exe installer
@ 2008-09-08  7:02         ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-09-08  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I update the minimals and get the following:

sent 348 bytes  received 101193 bytes  15621.69 bytes/sec
total size is 73454574  speedup is 723.40
mtx update | running command: rsync -rpztlv --stats
contextgarden.net::'minimals/current/bin/common/linux/
minimals/current/bin/context/linux/
minimals/current/bin/metapost/linux/ minimals/current/bin/xetex/linux/
minimals/current/bin/man/ minimals/current/bin/common/linux/
minimals/current/bin/context/linux/
minimals/current/bin/metapost/linux/
minimals/current/bin/luatex/linux/ minimals/current/bin/man/
minimals/current/bin/common/linux/ minimals/current/bin/context/linux/
minimals/current/bin/metapost/linux/
minimals/current/bin/pdftex/linux/ minimals/current/bin/man/'
'/home/yue/context/tex/texmf-linux'
run | rsync -rpztlv --stats
contextgarden.net::'minimals/current/bin/common/linux/
minimals/current/bin/context/linux/
minimals/current/bin/metapost/linux/ minimals/current/bin/xetex/linux/
minimals/current/bin/man/ minimals/current/bin/common/linux/
minimals/current/bin/context/linux/
minimals/current/bin/metapost/linux/
minimals/current/bin/luatex/linux/ minimals/current/bin/man/
minimals/current/bin/common/linux/ minimals/current/bin/context/linux/
minimals/current/bin/metapost/linux/
minimals/current/bin/pdftex/linux/ minimals/current/bin/man/'
'/home/yue/context/tex/texmf-linux'
receiving file list ... done
./
bin/
bin/afm2pl
bin/afm2tfm
bin/bibtex
bin/context
bin/ctxtools
bin/dvipdfmx
bin/dvipos
bin/dvips
bin/exatools
bin/kpseaccess
bin/kpsestat
bin/kpsewhich
bin/luatex
bin/luatools
bin/makempy
bin/mktexlsr
bin/mpost
bin/mpstools
bin/mptopdf
bin/mtxrun
bin/pdftex
bin/pdftools
bin/pdftosrc
bin/pdftrimwhite
bin/pltotf
bin/pstopdf
bin/rlxtools
bin/runtools
bin/texexec
bin/texfind
bin/texfont
bin/texlua -> luatex
bin/texluac -> luatex
bin/texmfstart
bin/texshow
bin/textools
bin/texutil
bin/tftopl
bin/tmftools
bin/ttf2afm
bin/vftovp
bin/vptovf
bin/xdvipdfmx
bin/xetex
bin/xmltools

no mp related binaries except mpost.

The machine I am using for testing is Ubuntu Linux 32bit

ue@yuewang:~$ uname -a
Linux yuewang 2.6.24-21-generic #1 SMP Mon Aug 25 17:32:09 UTC 2008
i686 GNU/Linux
yue@yuewang:~$

@ 2008-09-08  7:45           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-09-08  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:

> no mp related binaries except mpost.

That is probably the new MPlib based metapost that no longer needs
the external helper programs. The metapost version should be higher
than 1.005 if this is the case.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: The windows minimal exe installer
@ 2008-09-08  9:15             ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-09-08  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Taco:

> That is probably the new MPlib based metapost that no longer needs
> the external helper programs. The metapost version should be higher
> than 1.005 if this is the case.

I know that in your tug presentation.
However:

systems         : system commands are enabled
systems         : begin file a-mpgraph-temp at line 42
fonts           : resetting map file list
fonts           : using map file: original-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-base
fonts           : using map file: original-public-lm
fonts           : using map file: lm-ec
fonts           : using map file: lm-math
fonts           : using map file: lm-rm
fonts           : using map file: 8r-base
fonts           : using map file: ec-base
fonts           : using map file: t5-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-euler
[1.1]
systems         : end file a-mpgraph-temp at line 52
 )
Output written on a-mpgraph-temp.dvi (1 page, 268 bytes).
Transcript written on a-mpgraph-temp.log.
TeXExec | runtime: 0.14878
This is MetaPost, version 1.091 (kpathsea version 3.5.7)
(./a-mpgraph.mp
>> a-mpgraph.mp
>> a-mpgraph.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.146 draw btex
                 this string will become a sequence of glyphs (\TeX ) etex
Transcript written on a-mpgraph.log.
TeXExec | runtime: 0.192842
TeXUtil | parsing file a.tui
TeXUtil | shortcuts : 169
TeXUtil | expansions: 308
TeXUtil | reductions: 0
TeXUtil | divisions : 0
TeXUtil | loaded files: 1
TeXUtil | temporary files: 0
TeXUtil | commands: 20
TeXUtil | programs: 0
TeXUtil | tuo file saved
TeXExec | runtime: 0.451409

yue@yuewang:~$ cat a.tex
\starttext
\startuseMPgraphic{dummy}
%simple sample from metafun manual
draw btex this string will become a sequence of glyphs (\TeX) etex ;
\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic{dummy}
\stoptext

yue@yuewang:~$ mpost --version

MetaPost 1.091
Copyright 2008 AT&T Bell Laboratories.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the MetaPost copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the MetaPost source.
Primary author of MetaPost: John Hobby.
Current maintainer of MetaPost: Taco Hoekwater.

I updated my context minimals an hour ago.

@ 2008-09-08  9:21       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2008-09-08  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

> btw, I mailed a bug report to context@lists.launchpad.net one week
> ago, but it seems that no one received it:(

This is true, at that time there was almost nobody from the
distribution team on the list.

http://lists.launchpad.net/context/msg00000.html

My reply didn't reach you since you were also not subscribed (which I
didn't realize at that time).

So: http://lists.launchpad.net/context/msg00001.html

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: The windows minimal exe installer
@ 2008-09-08  9:30               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-09-08  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> This is MetaPost, version 1.091 (kpathsea version 3.5.7)
> (./a-mpgraph.mp
>>> a-mpgraph.mp
>>> a-mpgraph.mpx
> ! Unable to make mpx file.

The question is: how much of mpware is needed by texexec --mptex.
I assume that just dvitomp is enough, but I am not sure?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: The windows minimal exe installer
@ 2008-09-08  9:35                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-08  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Yue Wang wrote:
>> This is MetaPost, version 1.091 (kpathsea version 3.5.7)
>> (./a-mpgraph.mp
>> ! Unable to make mpx file.
>
> The question is: how much of mpware is needed by texexec --mptex.
> I assume that just dvitomp is enough, but I am not sure?

i should cook up a mkiv based mechanism ... just create a tex wrapper
and then run mkiv on it ... remind me after a week or so

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-09-10  4:51     ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-09-10  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Isn't that available already? (No windows to test.)
if I choose --engine=luatex, most binaries and scripts will still be
downloaded ( including mpost, kpse*, dvips/dvipdfmx and knuth's font
tools) [not windows specific] because they are stated in mtx-update.
while in fact only luatex, context, and bibtex are needed.

> That's already working (should be at least).
no. most of the afms/pfbs/tfms/vfs will still be downloaded (only
encoding-fontname.tfms will not be downloaded). In MKIV, opentype
version is enough except math fonts.
(at least 30M download files are unneeded)

> We need to split fonts first.
Yes, indeed. If a user only want to use LM fonts (or no fonts in
minimals at all), the download size can be limited to less than 40M
(30M if users use their own fonts like lucida bright) instead of
100M+.