* Lucida Bright Fonts from StarOffice
@ 2004-08-19 13:21 skhilji
From: skhilji @ 2004-08-19 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

For right now, I am giving up on the postscript fonts.  Lets try something else.

At http://home1.vr-web.de/~was/lucidayy/, you will see some files that tell you how to use the Lucida Bright fonts that come with StartOffice 5.2 with LaTeX.

I copied all the pfb and afm files from StarOffice52 into a folder.  Its contents are:

[khilji@localhost fonts]$ ls *.pfb
hlcbot6w.pfb  hlcrot6w.pfb  hlhd80.pfb   hlhri80.pfb  hlsdo80.pfb  hlsro80.pfb
hlcbot80.pfb  hlcrot80.pfb  hlhd81.pfb   hlhri81.pfb  hlsdo81.pfb  hlsro81.pfb
hlcbot81.pfb  hlcrot81.pfb  hlhdi80.pfb  hlsd6w.pfb   hlsr6w.pfb
hlcbt6w.pfb   hlcrt6w.pfb   hlhdi81.pfb  hlsd80.pfb   hlsr80.pfb
hlcbt80.pfb   hlcrt80.pfb   hlhr80.pfb   hlsd81.pfb   hlsr81.pfb
hlcbt81.pfb   hlcrt81.pfb   hlhr81.pfb   hlsdo6w.pfb  hlsro6w.pfb
[khilji@localhost fonts]$

I also have all the *.afm files from StarOffice.

Is there any way I can use these fonts with ConTeXt?  If yes, where do I need to copy them and what do I rename them to? Are these fonts exactly the same as the ones that you buy from yandy.com?

Also the above site says "On the other hand, only the basic font styles (roman, sans serif, typewriter) are available, whereas the fonts from Y&Y include many more variants such as true smallcaps, sans serif italic, fax, handwriting, blackletter and more)"  Does CoTeXt use the other fonts that are missing?

I suppose it would be legal for me to use these fonts with ConTeXt?  I may have to ask someone at yandy.com.  It could be possible that these fonts are supposed to be used with StarOffice and StarOffice only.

Salman

* Re: Lucida Bright Fonts from StarOffice
@ 2004-08-21 15:00 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-21 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

skhilji@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> For right now, I am giving up on the postscript fonts.  Lets try
> something else.

:-) Those fonts are also postscript fonts.

[...]

> Is there any way I can use these fonts with ConTeXt? If yes, where
> do I need to copy them and what do I rename them to?

Use the installer from Walter Schmidt's page and install the font as
described. No renaming necessary, the script does it for you.

> Are these fonts exactly the same as the ones that you buy from
> yandy.com?

I don't know.

> Also the above site says "On the other hand, only the basic font
> styles (roman, sans serif, typewriter) are available, whereas the
> fonts from Y&Y include many more variants such as true smallcaps,
> sans serif italic, fax, handwriting, blackletter and more)" Does
> CoTeXt use the other fonts that are missing?

Only if you ask for them.

> I suppose it would be legal for me to use these fonts with ConTeXt?

As long as you don't distibute them, I'd guess yes. But you shouldn't
ask me...

So, copy the attached file (warning: very experimental!!!) to your
directory and try to use it with:

 \usetypescriptfile[type-lso]

 \definetypeface [lso][rm][serif][lbso] [default][encoding=ec]
 \definetypeface [lso][ss][sans] [lsso] [default][encoding=ec]
 \definetypeface [lso][tt][mono] [lctso][default][encoding=ec]
 \setupbodyfont[lso,12pt]
\starttext
\showbodyfont

\type{The quick brown fox jumps over the 1234567890 lazy dog!}

\switchtobodyfont [ss]
 The quick brown fox jumps over the 1234567890 lazy dog!

\stoptext

--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

[-- Attachment #2: type-lso.tex --]

* Re: Re: Lucida Bright Fonts from StarOffice
@ 2004-08-22 22:41   ` Hans Hagen Outside
From: Hans Hagen Outside @ 2004-08-22 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>>Are these fonts exactly the same as the ones that you buy from
>>yandy.com?
>>

>I don't know.

probably not, i once did a project where  graphics came from all kind of
organizations, we ended up with (looking in the final pdf file) quite
some different lucida clones; the file was a font mess anyway so nobody
noticed i guess; the same may happen with times  and helvetica

as long as the metrics/kerning match the shapes i guess you're safe; on
the other hand, i don't trust those fonts to remain unchanged, so i use
the official lucida's

>So, copy the attached file (warning: very experimental!!!) to your
>directory and try to use it with:
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-lso]
>
> \definetypeface [lso][rm][serif][lbso] [default][encoding=ec]
> \definetypeface [lso][ss][sans] [lsso] [default][encoding=ec]
> \definetypeface [lso][tt][mono] [lctso][default][encoding=ec]
> \setupbodyfont[lso,12pt]
>\starttext
>\showbodyfont
>
>\type{The quick brown fox jumps over the 1234567890 lazy dog!}
>
>\switchtobodyfont [ss]
> The quick brown fox jumps over the 1234567890 lazy dog!
>
>\stoptext

alternatively you can add to your type-loc.tex:

\starttypescript [serif] [lucida] [ec]
  \definefontsynonym[LucidaBright] [...] [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript

in which case you can probably use the existing lbr definition

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-23 10:28     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-23 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans and others,

>>>Are these fonts exactly the same as the ones that you buy from
>>>yandy.com?

>>I don't know.
>>
> probably not, i once did a project where  graphics came from all kind
> of organizations, we ended up with (looking in the final pdf file)
> quite some different lucida clones; the file was a font mess anyway so
> nobody noticed i guess; the same may happen with times  and
> helvetica

isn't font and mess a synonym?

These fonts are labelled like:

StartFontMetrics 2.0
Comment Generated by Fontographer 4.1 18.02.00 at 15:49
FontName LucidaBrightCE-Demibold
FullName LucidaBrightCE-Demibold
FamilyName LucidaBrightCE
Weight Demibold
Notice (Copyright \(c\) 1998 Bigelow & Holmes Inc. Pat. Des 289,422.)

[...]

> alternatively you can add to your type-loc.tex: \starttypescript
> [serif] [lucida] [ec]
>   \definefontsynonym[LucidaBright] [...] [encoding=ec]
> \stoptypescript
>
> in which case you can probably use the existing lbr definition Hans

I want to avoid name clashes betwenn "lucida from staroffice" and
"official lucida". I have to do some more tests and I'll put the
instructions on the wiki.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-23 11:04       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-23 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>isn't font and mess a synonym?

indeed

>These fonts are labelled like:
>
>StartFontMetrics 2.0
>Comment Generated by Fontographer 4.1 18.02.00 at 15:49
>FontName LucidaBrightCE-Demibold
>FullName LucidaBrightCE-Demibold
>FamilyName LucidaBrightCE
>Weight Demibold
>Notice (Copyright \(c\) 1998 Bigelow & Holmes Inc. Pat. Des 289,422.)

I assume that CE stands for Central European (normally, when you buy a
font, that means not that many accented characters, i.e. many CE fonts
are not suitable for german).

Anyway, it looks like these are real ones. Is math also included?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-23 11:21         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-23 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> I assume that CE stands for Central European (normally, when you buy a
> font, that means not that many accented characters, i.e. many CE fonts
> are not suitable for german).

A quick test (showfont and aesop-de) shows that at least "well known"
accents are there.

> Anyway, it looks like these are real ones. Is math also included?

No.

Patrick