* Re: Re: texfont and type-tmf.dat
@ 2003-10-14 23:27 George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2003-10-14 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Nigel King wrote:

> > Why do you whish to reinstall all the supplied fonts? Or do you just
> > want to learn how to use texfont?
> I simply wish to use the fonts as most others do (I think) and I am unable
> to because of this bug. The normal context fonts do not exist on Gerben's
> version. Before Gerben's reorganisation they were made by texfont, this now
> does not work because of what I believe to be a simple (I do not understand
> Perl otherwise I would have a go at fixing it) bug in texfont. Maybe I am
> wrong but I am beginning to find this extremely frustrating (7 months). Once
> I realised that somebody was working on texfont 1.8 I had hoped for a fix.

On all the systems I use, (linux, SGI Irix, Win32 with texLive) you have
to run texfont to generate tfm's, vf's and map files for fonts other than
CM.

The last time I tried to run texfont (from the final TeX Live 2003 inst
iso), it tried to use a lower-cased version of the install path, e.g.,
/opt/texline instead of /opt/texLive.

> If no developer/Perl expert has Gerbens version of tetex perhaps I could
> help debug if a version was supplied to me that printed out the full path
> that texfont was looking for files in. The --fontroot option or kpsewhich
> lookup appears to be at fault but I have no debugging facilities.
>
> Any suggestions (other than giving up) gratefully received.

You will have to learn a tiny bit of perl (which is easier than
learning TeX).

--
George N. White III  <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>

* Re: Re: texfont and type-tmf.dat
@ 2003-10-14 22:58 Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2003-10-14 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I simply wish to use the fonts as most others do (I think) and I am unable
>> to because of this bug.
>
> Nigel,
>
> did you try
>
> \usetypescriptfile[adobekb]
> \setupencoding [default=8r]
> \usetypescript[adobekb][\defaultencoding]
> \usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino]
> \starttext
> This is crazy stuff.
> \stoptext
Yes this is the only thing I can do currently, but I thought I had more
control previously.

> ??
>
>> The normal context fonts do not exist on Gerben's version.
>
> What are normal ConTeXt fonts?
Say ec-urw-times and the typescripts etc.

--
Nigel

* Re: Re: texfont and type-tmf.dat
@ 2003-10-14 21:48 Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2003-10-14 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Why do you whish to reinstall all the supplied fonts? Or do you just
> want to learn how to use texfont?
I simply wish to use the fonts as most others do (I think) and I am unable
to because of this bug. The normal context fonts do not exist on Gerben's
version. Before Gerben's reorganisation they were made by texfont, this now
does not work because of what I believe to be a simple (I do not understand
Perl otherwise I would have a go at fixing it) bug in texfont. Maybe I am
wrong but I am beginning to find this extremely frustrating (7 months). Once
I realised that somebody was working on texfont 1.8 I had hoped for a fix.

If no developer/Perl expert has Gerbens version of tetex perhaps I could
help debug if a version was supplied to me that printed out the full path
that texfont was looking for files in. The --fontroot option or kpsewhich
lookup appears to be at fault but I have no debugging facilities.

Any suggestions (other than giving up) gratefully received.

TIA
--
Nigel

* Re: Re: texfont and type-tmf.dat
@ 2003-10-10 17:38 George White
From: George White @ 2003-10-10 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> [...]
> According to to the statements from Walter Schmidt, a TeX font expert
> (perhaps I should say *the* TeX font expert?) in
> http://tug.daimi.au.dk/archives/tex-fonts/msg01328.html
>
> \quote{% ....
> Note, however, that embedding of URW's fonts, while using the
> (PSNFSS) Adobe Base35 metrics, will _not_ lead to any bugs!
> The character metrics are matching!  Differences in the
> "character bounding boxes" are irrelevant for the advance widths!
> The only drawback is, that you cannot access those glyphs that
> are in the URW fonts, but not in the Adobe fonts.  Indeed, this
> could be overcome by providing particular metrics and VFs for
> the URW fonts -- see below. }

Hans has demonstated that even the Adobe fonts don't have the same
metrics.  It should also be noted that in practice, if you don't embed
fonts, you will often get font substitutions in the PS rasterizer (e.g.,
ghostscript defaults will use URW fonts where the file requests a Base35
font, current acrobat reader will use Arial where the file requests
Helvetica, some printers with clone interpreters (many recent HP models)
use "clone" fonts.

There are several versions of the URW fonts in use now: two ghostscript
versions, and a number of versions with additional glyphs distributed
with linux (and I am told that the software used to create the recent
versions may have tampered with the metrics for glyphs that were not
changed).

If you embed the URW fonts using the original URW names it is clear which
fonts are to be used.  This discourages people from "optimizing" your
files by stripping out the fonts.  For archival EPS figures it makes sense
to go further and replace fonts with outline paths.  In this way the
figures should remain useful even after the fonts are no longer supported
by the available rasterizers.

--
George White <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca> <gnw3@acm.org>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6

* Re: Re: texfont and type-tmf.dat
@ 2003-10-08 17:59 Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2003-10-08 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Patrick,
> What are you trying to achieve?
I use Gerbens distribution of tetex and friends on Mac OSX. In Feb/Mar the
distribution was altered which broke texfont. I had to resort to using
adobekb.tex which works very well. I was hoping however at some point to be
able to use the fonts in a more standard way with everybody else.

--
Nigel

[parent not found: <BAA1DC4D.ECA9%king@dircon.co.uk>]
* texfont and type-tmf.dat
@ 2003-08-03  5:37 Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2003-08-03  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

When I run texfont as follows:
    texfont --en=texnansi --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf/fonts
/usr/share/context/data/type-tmf.dat

texfont reports  "unknown subpath ../fonts/afm/urw/[font name]" for each
font listed in type-tmf.dat.  Where should the fonts be found?

Thanks,

Matt