* Re: Re: Tutorial
@ 2005-04-11 20:41 Loeghmon Tadayon Nejad
From: Loeghmon Tadayon Nejad @ 2005-04-11 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Partick,

I am currently working in a Windows (XP) environment but if it makes a difference and Linux is more suitable for a Tex environment I move to a Unix based one then. Thanks for the reply.

Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch> wrote:
Hello,

> Could one of you please recommend a document that tells me what to
> download and how to install and run a Tex application such as
> "Context" and how to compose and compile a document such as a
> booklet or more? I like to learn and use Tex and have absolutely no
> experience with it. Thank you all.

You can take a look at the ConTeXt wiki (see below for address). If
you have a current TeX distribution, you are probably ready to go. If
not, get one, such as teTeX for Unix or MikTeX for Windows. Tell us
more about your environment.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

Regards,

Loeghmon Tadayon  Nejad

* Re: Tutorial
@ 2005-04-11 20:57 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-04-11 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am currently working in a Windows (XP) environment but if it makes
> a difference and Linux is more suitable for a Tex environment I move
> to a Unix based one then. Thanks for the reply.

No problem, there are several windows users on this list. But I don't
know which distribution is currently preferred. MikTeX?
http://www.miktex.org/ You should be able to produce ConTeXt documents
out of the box when installed properly.

Hope this helps,

Patrick
--

@ 2005-04-11 22:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-04-11 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Loeghmon Tadayon Nejad wrote:
> Partick,
>
> I am currently working in a Windows (XP) environment but if it makes a
> difference and Linux is more suitable for a Tex environment I move to a
> Unix based one then. Thanks for the reply.

there is no difference between windows/mac/linux with regards to tex; it all
depends on what other tools and editors you want to use; here we use all
platforms mixed: we use windows for development and projects (most convenient
for the kind of work we do), linux for (web) server based apps including tex
(quite stable); and we will start using macs for some projects, and maybe also
as a replacement for the linux file/mail/etc servers (best interface/hardware)

Because i want to post a new context zip with svg support, today i spent the
whole day trying to get the latest gtk libs on the one year old linux suse 9.1
server; it took me a few minutes to install inkscape on xp but i've given up on
linux (it needs tons of latest greatest libs that one need to compile and put in
the right non-conflicting places so I will try again when i've received suse
9.3); installing fonts in a tex system is easier -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: Tutorial
@ 2005-04-11 23:41   ` Paul Tremblay
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-04-11 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:07:35AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Because i want to post a new context zip with svg support, today i spent
> the whole day trying to get the latest gtk libs on the one year old linux
> suse 9.1 server; it took me a few minutes to install inkscape on xp but
> i've given up on linux (it needs tons of latest greatest libs that one need
> to compile and put in the right non-conflicting places so I will try again
> when i've received suse 9.3); installing fonts in a tex system is easier -)

Same experience here with regard to the latest greates glib libraries.
I gave up.

Paul

--

************************
*Paul Tremblay         *

* Re: Re: Tutorial
@ 2005-04-12  1:41   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2005-04-12  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>>I am currently working in a Windows (XP) environment but if it makes
>>a difference and Linux is more suitable for a Tex environment I move
>>to a Unix based one then. Thanks for the reply.
>>

>No problem, there are several windows users on this list. But I don't
>know which distribution is currently preferred. MikTeX?

I can't speak for any other distribution, but MikTeX is practically
mindlessly easy to install and maintain.  And it seems to work.

>http://www.miktex.org/ You should be able to produce ConTeXt documents
>out of the box when installed properly.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Patrick

* Re: Re: Tutorial
@ 2005-04-12  7:28     ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2005-04-12  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary wrote:
> Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>
>>> I am currently working in a Windows (XP) environment but if it makes
>>> a difference and Linux is more suitable for a Tex environment I move
>>> to a Unix based one then. Thanks for the reply.
>>>

>> No problem, there are several windows users on this list. But I don't
>> know which distribution is currently preferred. MikTeX?
>>

> I can't speak for any other distribution, but MikTeX is practically
> mindlessly easy to install and maintain.  And it seems to work.
>
>> http://www.miktex.org/ You should be able to produce ConTeXt documents
>> out of the box when installed properly.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Patrick

I would definitely not recommend MikTeX. Sooner or later, if your
projects are growing, you run into the error:
  ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=35000].
and MikTeX does not provide a way to increase hash size.
See the discussion on
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20031205.084314.a5019886.html

Sytse

* Re: SVG support (was: Tutorial)
@ 2005-04-12 17:00   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-04-12 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.04.2005 um 00:07 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Because i want to post a new context zip with svg support

Big news in a half sentence!
What does SVG support mean in ConTeXt / this context?
Translation of SVG to MetaPost? Which SVG level/standard?

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net

* Re: SVG support
@ 2005-04-12 17:37     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-04-12 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 12.04.2005 um 00:07 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Because i want to post a new context zip with svg support
>

> Big news in a half sentence!
> What does SVG support mean in ConTeXt / this context?
> Translation of SVG to MetaPost? Which SVG level/standard?

i've implemented a mechanism to process graphics 'kind of runtime' so that one
can use for instance svg; think of proper caching of converted images, document
dependent transformations, etc. For the svg conversion I use inkscape; of course
it's all subjected to testing -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Tutorial
@ 2005-04-11 20:06 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-04-11 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-04-11 19:55 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2005-04-11 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.04.2005 um 21:36 schrieb Loeghmon Tadayon Nejad:

> Could one of you please recommend a document that tells me what to
> download and how to install and run a Tex application such as
> "Context" and how to compose and compile a document such as a booklet
> or more? I like to learn and use Tex and have absolutely no experience
> with it. Thank you all.

Have a look at the wiki (contextgarden) and the linked docs and ask
again if you get more specific questions.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://contextgarden.net

* Tutorial