* positioning layers again
@ 2004-09-30  8:17 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2004-09-30  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have managed to create my poster, arranging stuff on the page using
layers. But I have to admit that I have used hard-coded coordinates for
all layers. (I used a metapost grid in the background for measuring and
aligning in the draft version.) If anybody is interested, I can make the
poster and the source available online after the conference.
I don't want to be nerving, but to make things easier in the future, I
would like to repeat my question: How to position layers relative to
each other, not relative to a common coordinate origin? (So that you
don't have to move subsequent layers if some box changes its height
etc.)
I have experimented a bit with the stuff in the 'positional graphics'
chapter of the metafun manual, but didn't make it. So, thanks for hints
and suggestions.

Regards,
--
Eckhart

* Re: positioning layers again
@ 2004-09-30 19:24 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-09-30 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eckhart,

I believe that the most convenient way of making your work available
would be to put the essentials into the Wiki:

http://contextgarden.net/Context/show/HomePage

I would say that just these newer features could profit from examples!

Kind regards Willi

Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have managed to create my poster, arranging stuff on the page using
> layers. But I have to admit that I have used hard-coded coordinates for
> all layers. (I used a metapost grid in the background for measuring and
> aligning in the draft version.) If anybody is interested, I can make the
> poster and the source available online after the conference.
> I don't want to be nerving, but to make things easier in the future, I
> would like to repeat my question: How to position layers relative to
> each other, not relative to a common coordinate origin? (So that you
> don't have to move subsequent layers if some box changes its height
> etc.)
> I have experimented a bit with the stuff in the 'positional graphics'
> chapter of the metafun manual, but didn't make it. So, thanks for hints
> and suggestions.
>
> Regards,

* Wiki and source code browser (was: positioning layers again)
@ 2004-09-30 19:49   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-09-30 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Willi,

> I believe that the most convenient way of making your work available
> would be to put the essentials into the Wiki:

I agree on this, but

> http://contextgarden.net/Context/show/HomePage

is outdated :-)

See signature for the link.

BTW: I have installed yet another service at contextgarden.net, the
source browser.

you can use it like this:

http://source.contextgarden.net/
    -> browse directories
http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/context.tex
    -> look at the file
http://source.contextgarden.net/context.tex
   -> let the source browser find the file for you
http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/core-pos.tex#setpositions
or
http://source.contextgarden.net/core-pos.tex#setpositions
     -> look at core-pos.tex and go to \def\setposition

The last one should be handy for the texshow-web (api)

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: Wiki and source code browser
@ 2004-10-01  7:52     ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2004-10-01  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> BTW: I have installed yet another service at contextgarden.net, the
> source browser.

  Nice.  But I think the search should ignore the fmt files, they won't
be displayed anyway.  I'd also welcome an option not to search in *.tws
nor *-scite.properties, I have not found a use for them yet.

regards,
	Christopher Creutzig

* Re: Wiki and source code browser
@ 2004-10-01  9:08       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-10-01  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Christopher,

>> BTW: I have installed yet another service at contextgarden.net, the
>> source browser.
>
>   Nice.  But I think the search should ignore the fmt files, they
>   won't be displayed anyway.  I'd also welcome an option not to search
>   in *.tws nor *-scite.properties, I have not found a use for them
>   yet.

Good point. I exclude now *fmt, *mem, *properties, *tws. Thanks  for
the feedback,

Patrick