* Re: [NTG-pdftex] kerning
       [not found]   ` <429D7FB5.90406@wxs.nl>
@ 2005-06-02 15:31     ` Taco Hoekwater
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-06-02 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> PS. I can create a series of slides that show internals of the
>> font reading process for the ntg meeting, if you are interested.
>

> sounds like a good idea to me

For those of you who are interested in this sort of thing, I've posted
an 884-page PDF document that illustrates TeX's loading of a few font
metric files:

   nullfont (internal)
   cmr10
   cmsy10
   cmex10

De document, and sources, are available at:

   http://tex.aanhet.net/temp/fontreader.pdf
   http://tex.aanhet.net/temp/fontreader.zip

Beware, the PDF is pretty large (7.7Mb). MetaPost, Perl and Context
sources are quite small (12kb), but very much a hack.

Taco

* Re: [NTG-pdftex] kerning
@ 2005-06-02 20:28       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-06-02 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, pdfTeX developers list

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> De document, and sources, are available at:
>
>   http://tex.aanhet.net/temp/fontreader.pdf
>   http://tex.aanhet.net/temp/fontreader.zip
>
> Beware, the PDF is pretty large (7.7Mb). MetaPost, Perl and Context
> sources are quite small (12kb), but very much a hack.

brilliant, you made my day

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: kerning
@ 2005-06-28 12:10       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-06-28 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For those of you who are interested in this sort of thing, I've posted
> an 884-page PDF document that illustrates TeX's loading of a few font
> metric files:

Very nice illustration. Thanks, Taco!

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* TeX trie processing (\pattern loading) details visualisation
@ 2005-07-11 15:11       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-07-11 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, pdfTeX developers list

Hi,

Vaguely connected to the font reader visualisation I posted last
month, I have created a visualisation of the trie (\pattern)
processing source code in initex.

There are files here:

    http://tex.aanhet.net/temp/patreader.zip (12.825 bytes)
    http://tex.aanhet.net/temp/patreader.pdf (> 36 Megabytes)

Please fetch the zip file and attempt to generate a local
version yourself before downloading the PDF document :)

The process itself is a bit harder to comprehend than the font
reader, so some background knowledge is needed. It also helps
if you have the TeX pascal sources handy.

I should probably write a descriptive text in prose to go along
with the images, but I'm bored with this stuff. It took me much
longer than I had anticipated, because I kept running into
limitations of MP ;-(

Roughly, the execution order <-> pages mapping is as follows:

   pages      function          action

    1  -   8  new_patterns()    % \patterns for language 0
    9  -  23  new_patterns()    % \patterns for language 2
   24  -  26  new_patterns()    % \patterns for language 1
   27  -  29  init_trie()       % initialization of arrays
   30  -  41  init_trie()       % reshuffling languages 2 and 1
   42  -  42  init_trie()       % prepare for compression
   43  - 241  compress_trie()   % trie compression
  242  - 244  init_trie()       % prepare for packing
  245  - 717  first_fit()       % trie packing
  718  - 965  init_trie()       % finalizations for run-time

The various blue items are used runtime (i.e. during hyphenation),
the other arrays are only used in initex or only for statistics
reporting.

trie_hash is physically the same array as trie_ref, but it is
cleaner to show them separately.

The supplied perl script can in fact demonstrate the hyphenation of
words using TeX's algorithm, but if you want meaningful results you
have to feed it hyphen.tex instead of the three demonstration languages,
and in that case, you have to increase the two limits ($trie_size and
$trie_op_size). Check the top (and bottom) of the perl script for that.

Have fun,

Taco

* Re: Kerning
@ 2008-11-14 15:00               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-14 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bart C. Wise wrote:

> I tried the above code and it failed.  I looked around on the ConTeXt site and
> the web in general.  It seems like a \defineproperty[stretch] needs to be
> declared, but I can't find it anywhere.  You'll have to excuse my ignorance,
> but will you be explicit on how to use the \startproperty[stretch] stretch
> \stopproperty.

hm, something is missing in the mkii file

\unprotect \definepropertyhandler \v!stretch{0} \protect

(you can also tune the 'normal effect')

consider all this a hack, since tex does not know about the right
dimensions

in mkiv there's

\start \dosetstretch{.25em} \setuptolerance[tolerant,stretch] \input
tufte \endgraf \stop
\start \dosetstretch{.5em} effe flink doorfietsen \stop

(not yet interfaced but it should work)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Kerning
@ 2008-11-13 16:20             ` Bart C. Wise
From: Bart C. Wise @ 2008-11-13 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 13 November 2008 12:46:27 am Hans Hagen wrote:
> Bart C. Wise wrote:
> > Wolfgang,  thanks so much for your help so far.
> >
> > I was able to take the code and make it work correctly to stretch the
> > chapter title.  What I want is two lines for a chapter head.  For
> > example, Line 1: "Chapter One"
> > Line 2: "Title for Chap 1"
> >
> > I want line 1 to be stretched.  Everything I have tried does not work.  I
> > can get the "Chapter" word to stretch, but not the whole line (and it
> > should probably be treated as a whole line when stretching).  I was never
> > able to get the chapter number (now a word) to stretch.
> >
> > So how do I grab the output for line 1 and then stretch it?
> >
> > Here's a sample of what I have without any stretching:
> >
> > \def\Myheader#1#2{%
> >     \framedtext[width=0.60\textwidth, frame=off, align=middle]{%
> >         \vbox{\headtext{chapter}~#1 \blank #2}}}
> >
> > \def\englishnumbers#1{
> >     \ifcase#1 \or ONE\or TWO\or THREE\or FOUR\or FIVE\fi}
> > \defineconversion[englishnumbers][\englishnumbers]
> >
> > \setupsection[chapter][conversion=englishnumbers]
> > \setuphead [chapter][
> >     command=\Myheader,
> >     textcommand=\bfd,
> > ]
> > \setupheadtext[chapter=CHAPTER] % used by \headtext
> > \starttext
> > \chapter{Title for Chap 1}
> > \processfile{tufte}
> > \stoptext
> >

> > P.S. If there's a better way to do the number->word conversion, let me
> > know.

> >> You could use it only with \deeptextcommand, here is a old mail
> >> with a example from Hans (you could ignore the other code).
> >>
> >> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060113.102321.bf24d7ca.en.htm
>
> look for the property mechanism
>
> \startproperty[stretch]stretched\stopproperty
>
> token processing is always tricky since the parser does not know what to
> expect; properties use a pdf trick; in mkiv we have more clever stretching

Hans,

I tried the above code and it failed.  I looked around on the ConTeXt site and
the web in general.  It seems like a \defineproperty[stretch] needs to be
declared, but I can't find it anywhere.  You'll have to excuse my ignorance,
but will you be explicit on how to use the \startproperty[stretch] stretch
\stopproperty.

Bart

* Re: Kerning
@ 2008-11-13 15:26             ` Bart C. Wise
From: Bart C. Wise @ 2008-11-13 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Schuster; +Cc: ntg-context

Wolfgang,

Thanks so much for your help!  It works exactly as I desire.

Bart

* Re: Kerning
@ 2008-11-13  8:36           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-13  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart C. Wise; +Cc: ntg-context

@ 2008-11-13  7:46           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-13  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bart C. Wise wrote:
> [...]
>>> \nextprocessedtok...
>>> <argument> This is a test: \dostartattributes
>>>                                              {\??ko \v!title }\c!style
>>> \c!c...
>>>
>>> \processtokens ...fore \before \doprocesstokens #5
>>>                                                  \lastcharacter
>>> \endgroup
>>> \stretched ... \relax \hss \relax {\hss \hss }{#1}
>>>                                                  \egroup
>>>
>>> How can I use the #1 & #2 arguments in the stretched command?
>> You could use it only with \deeptextcommand, here is a old mail
>> with a example from Hans (you could ignore the other code).
>>
>> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060113.102321.bf24d7ca.en.html

look for the property mechanism

\startproperty[stretch]stretched\stopproperty

token processing is always tricky since the parser does not know what to
expect; properties use a pdf trick; in mkiv we have more clever stretching

* Re: Kerning
@ 2008-11-13  6:18         ` Bart C. Wise
From: Bart C. Wise @ 2008-11-13  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> [...]

> > ! Missing \endcsname inserted.
> > <to be read again>
> >                   \let
> > \nextprocessedtoken ...oup \ifincolor \ifcsname #1
> >                                                  #3\endcsname \let
> > \dostopa...
> >
> > \dodoprocesstokens ...token \let \before \between
> >                                                  \fi \let
> > \nextprocessedtok...
> > <argument> This is a test: \dostartattributes
> >                                              {\??ko \v!title }\c!style
> > \c!c...
> >
> > \processtokens ...fore \before \doprocesstokens #5
> >                                                  \lastcharacter
> > \endgroup
> > \stretched ... \relax \hss \relax {\hss \hss }{#1}
> >                                                  \egroup
> >
> > How can I use the #1 & #2 arguments in the stretched command?
>
> You could use it only with \deeptextcommand, here is a old mail
> with a example from Hans (you could ignore the other code).

* Re: Kerning
@ 2008-11-12 17:17       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-12 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-11-12 17:03     ` Bart C. Wise

                                                  #3\endcsname \let
\dostopa...

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 09:28:39 am Bart C. Wise wrote:
> Wolfgang,
>
> It works!
>
> Thanks,
> Bart
>
> On Wednesday 12 November 2008 08:54:49 am Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > Am 12.11.2008 um 16:48 schrieb Bart C. Wise:
> > > I am trying to change the spacing of a chapter title head.  I found
> > > the
> > > "\kern" command; however, I could not get that to work over a string
> > > of text.
> > >
> > > Then I found the following code:
> > > \def\dolist{\afterassignment\dodolist\let\next= }
> > > \def\dodolist{\ifx\next\endlist \let\next\relax
> > >   \else \\\let\next\dolist \fi
> > >   \next}
> > > \def\endlist{\endlist}
> > > \def\track#1\by#2{\def\\{\next\kern#2}%
> > >   \leavevmode \hbox{\expandafter\dolist#1\endlist}}
> > >
> > > Then I tried:
> > >
> > > def\MyChapterCommand#1#2{
> > >        \framed[align=center,frame=off,width=\textwidth]{
> > > 		\vbox{
> > > 			\track{This is a Test} \by{.2em}
> > > 			\track #2  \by{.2em}
> > > 		}
> > > 	}
> > > \setuphead[chapter][
> > >    command=\MyChapterCommand
> > > }
> > >
> > > The output from the \track{This is a Test} \by{.2em} works.
> > > However, the
> > > second track command (\track #2 \by{0.2em}) fails.
> > >
> > > I spent many hours last night trying to change the kerning.  What I
> > > want is
> > > something like: \kern{TEXT}{KERNING AMOUNT}.
> > >
> > > What's available, or how do I fix the track command above.  By the
> > > way,I'm
> > > running mkii.
> >
> > Search for \stretched and \stretchednormalcase.
> >
> > http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080815.074940.ae67f770.en.html
> >
> > Wolfgang

* Re: Kerning
@ 2008-11-12 16:28   ` Bart C. Wise
From: Bart C. Wise @ 2008-11-12 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang,

It works!

Thanks,
Bart

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 08:54:49 am Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 12.11.2008 um 16:48 schrieb Bart C. Wise:
> > I am trying to change the spacing of a chapter title head.  I found
> > the
> > "\kern" command; however, I could not get that to work over a string
> > of text.
> >
> > Then I found the following code:
> > \def\dolist{\afterassignment\dodolist\let\next= }
> > \def\dodolist{\ifx\next\endlist \let\next\relax
> >   \else \\\let\next\dolist \fi
> >   \next}
> > \def\endlist{\endlist}
> > \def\track#1\by#2{\def\\{\next\kern#2}%
> >   \leavevmode \hbox{\expandafter\dolist#1\endlist}}
> >
> > Then I tried:
> >
> > def\MyChapterCommand#1#2{
> >        \framed[align=center,frame=off,width=\textwidth]{
> > 		\vbox{
> > 			\track{This is a Test} \by{.2em}
> > 			\track #2  \by{.2em}
> > 		}
> > 	}
> > \setuphead[chapter][
> >    command=\MyChapterCommand
> > }
> >
> > The output from the \track{This is a Test} \by{.2em} works.
> > However, the
> > second track command (\track #2 \by{0.2em}) fails.
> >
> > I spent many hours last night trying to change the kerning.  What I
> > want is
> > something like: \kern{TEXT}{KERNING AMOUNT}.
> >
> > What's available, or how do I fix the track command above.  By the
> > way,I'm
> > running mkii.
>
> Search for \stretched and \stretchednormalcase.
>
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080815.074940.ae67f770.en.html
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Kerning
@ 2008-11-12 15:54 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-12 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.11.2008 um 16:48 schrieb Bart C. Wise:

> I am trying to change the spacing of a chapter title head.  I found
> the
> "\kern" command; however, I could not get that to work over a string
> of text.
>
> Then I found the following code:
> \def\dolist{\afterassignment\dodolist\let\next= }
> \def\dodolist{\ifx\next\endlist \let\next\relax
>   \else \\\let\next\dolist \fi
>   \next}
> \def\endlist{\endlist}
> \def\track#1\by#2{\def\\{\next\kern#2}%
>   \leavevmode \hbox{\expandafter\dolist#1\endlist}}
>
> Then I tried:
>
> def\MyChapterCommand#1#2{
>        \framed[align=center,frame=off,width=\textwidth]{
> 		\vbox{
> 			\track{This is a Test} \by{.2em}
> 			\track #2  \by{.2em}
> 		}
> 	}
> \setuphead[chapter][
>    command=\MyChapterCommand
> }
>
> The output from the \track{This is a Test} \by{.2em} works.
> However, the
> second track command (\track #2 \by{0.2em}) fails.
>
> I spent many hours last night trying to change the kerning.  What I
> want is
> something like: \kern{TEXT}{KERNING AMOUNT}.
>
> What's available, or how do I fix the track command above.  By the
> way,I'm
> running mkii.

Search for \stretched and \stretchednormalcase.

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080815.074940.ae67f770.en.html

Wolfgang

* Kerning
@ 2008-11-12 15:48 Bart C. Wise