* html to context
@ 2005-01-15 15:12 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-01-15 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi gang,

Have any of you guys a script or something to convert simple html to ConTeXt?
There are apparently a couple of html2latex converters out there but is there
anything for ConTeXt?

Best
Idris

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: html to context
@ 2005-01-15 15:23 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-01-15 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

ishamid said this at Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:12:34 -0700:

>Have any of you guys a script or something to convert simple html to
ConTeXt?
>There are apparently a couple of html2latex converters out there but is
there
>anything for ConTeXt?

Huh, that's funny. I was just thinking about that in the context of this
post, as pointed out by Bruce d'Arcus:
<http://kronavita.de/chris/blog/archive/2005/01/converting-bluecloth-to-
pdf.html>

So it sounds like that XSLT would be one place to start.
I have to think, at least with XHTML-basic <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-
basic/>, that going in and renaming a few of the elements in x-contml
would get you a lot of the way there, as well.

I have to think that <http://tidy.sourceforge.net/> is a worthwhile pre-
processor to have in one's arsenal, and I pointed out <http://www.re.be/
css2xslfo/> to the foXet list just the other day. Technically speaking,
if that converts to XSL-FO as well as it appears, ConTeXt could well be
the back end to it.

But to answer your question, no I don't have anything per se. I'm just
thinking about it. (And, because of PhD obligations, that's all I'm going
to do about it, for the time being!)
 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: html to context
@ 2005-01-15 15:24 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-01-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Idris,

> Have any of you guys a script or something to convert simple html to ConTeXt?
> There are apparently a couple of html2latex converters out there but is there
> anything for ConTeXt?

I came across this a couple of days ago:

http://kronavita.de/chris/data/md2context.xsl

didn't try it, looks rather simple (and special). Perhaps better than
nothing(?).

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: HTML to ConTeXt
@ 2007-10-26  4:22   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-10-26  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:50:03 -0600, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> This is interesting. A website that converts html to context
>> (actually uses markdown behind the scenes).
>>
>> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/html2x.html
>>
>> This is how the context wiki looks like.
>>
>> http://johnmacfarlane.net/cgi-bin/html2x.pl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.contextgarden.net%2FMain_Page&format=context
>>
>> The program is written in haskell and is also available for download.
>> You can use it to convert markdown to context. I had been looking for
>> this for a while, when multiple formats are needed. Write in markdown
>> and generate html or context. I do not completely like the context
>> output it generates (for example
>> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README gets converted to
>> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/example11.tex.html)
>
> This looks very promising. Perhaps some of us can help the developers to
> improve the ConTeXt support.

I will explore pandoc in more detail in the future. I am more
interested in it from the point of view of understanding Haskell
parsers, but improving the context output will definitely not hurt.

Aditya

* Re: HTML to ConTeXt
@ 2007-10-25 20:17 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-10-25 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrote:

> This is interesting. A website that converts html to context
> (actually uses markdown behind the scenes).
>
> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/html2x.html
>
> This is how the context wiki looks like.
>
> http://johnmacfarlane.net/cgi-bin/html2x.pl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.contextgarden.net%2FMain_Page&format=context
>
> The program is written in haskell and is also available for download.
> You can use it to convert markdown to context. I had been looking for
> this for a while, when multiple formats are needed. Write in markdown
> and generate html or context. I do not completely like the context
> output it generates (for example
> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README gets converted to
> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/example11.tex.html)

This looks very promising. Perhaps some of us can help the developers to
improve the ConTeXt support.

Thank you very much for sharing this!

Best wishes
Idris