* bug in beta?
@ 2005-08-20 15:44 Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2005-08-20 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Salvete,

 I haven't found the time to follow the list lately, so my apologies if
this has been mentioned before.  (I did try looking in the archives.)

 Using

ConTeXt  ver: 2005.06.08  fmt: 2005.6.17  int: english  mes: english

I can't compile

\starttext
\startitemize[columns]
\item a
\item a
\item a
\item a
\stopitemize
\stoptext

any longer:

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                   \@col@-2-t
\splitlastcolumn ...global \setbox \lastcolumnbox
                                                  \vbox {\unvcopy
\lasttopco...

Christopher

* Re: bug in beta?
@ 2005-08-20 16:49 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-08-20 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Creutzig wrote:
> Salvete,
>
>  I haven't found the time to follow the list lately, so my apologies if
> this has been mentioned before.  (I did try looking in the archives.)
>
>  Using
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2005.06.08  fmt: 2005.6.17  int: english  mes: english

compiles fine here:

cont-en : ver: 2005.08.19  fmt: 2005.8.19  mes: english

Cheers, Taco

* Re: bug in beta?
@ 2005-08-20 21:06   ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-08-20 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/20/05, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> >  Using
> >
> > ConTeXt  ver: 2005.06.08  fmt: 2005.6.17  int: english  mes: english
>
> compiles fine here:
>
> cont-en : ver: 2005.08.19  fmt: 2005.8.19  mes: english

ok too for me with "old" version:
cont-en : ver: 2005.01.31  fmt: 2005.8.2  mes: english

In my TODO list: update to newest release of ConTeXt for my teTeX system (FC4)

Cheers,
--
http://vnoss.org
Vietnamese Open Source Software Community

* Re: ConTeXt in MikTeX distribution
@ 2005-08-20 22:59 ` jjgod
From: jjgod @ 2005-08-20 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach <mailto:patrick.at.gundla.ch> wrote:

 > Then we must have different texfont.pl version. Each time afm2tfm is
 > called, it uses either -T or -p. Running afm2tfm without those
 > parameters doesn't make very much sense. (Unless you are an english
 > speaking person that never typesets foreign languages.)

Accoding to
http://source.contextgarden.net/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl,
I'm afraid you are wrong, the string "-p" only occured 3 times in this
file,
the first time for 'otfinfo', the second time for 'afm2tfm' and the
third time
for 'afm2pl'. So the official copy of this script still use -p option
for afm2tfm
once.

Jjgod.

* Re: Re: ConTeXt in MikTeX distribution
@ 2005-08-21  7:15   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-08-21  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

jjgod wrote:
> Patrick Gundlach <mailto:patrick.at.gundla.ch> wrote:
>
>  > Then we must have different texfont.pl version. Each time afm2tfm is
>  > called, it uses either -T or -p. Running afm2tfm without those
>  > parameters doesn't make very much sense. (Unless you are an english
>  > speaking person that never typesets foreign languages.)
>
> Accoding to
> http://source.contextgarden.net/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl,
> I'm afraid you are wrong, the string "-p" only occured 3 times in this
> file,
> the first time for 'otfinfo', the second time for 'afm2tfm' and the
> third time
> for 'afm2pl'. So the official copy of this script still use -p option
> for afm2tfm
> once.

There are in total 4 calls to aftm2tfm in the script, of which the
second and third use '-p' also (check the value of $encstr). The last
one is a 'panic response' if nothing else seems appropriate.

Taco

* Re: Re: ConTeXt in MikTeX distribution
@ 2005-08-21 12:42     ` jjgod
From: jjgod @ 2005-08-21 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> There are in total 4 calls to aftm2tfm in the script, of which the
> second and third use '-p' also (check the value of $encstr). The last
> one is a 'panic response' if nothing else seems appropriate.

Well, let's search the script from top to bottom:

1. { my $command = "afm2tfm \"$file\" -p texnansi.enc texfont.tfm"
It's a real call to afm2tfm, with -p.

2, 3: (deleted inrelevant code, reindented to show the structure)

if ($afmpl)
{
    $encstr = " -p $encfil" ;
    my $command = "afm2pl -f afm2tfm $shape $passon $encstr ...
    my $ok = `$command` ;
}
else
{
    my $command = "afm2tfm $file $shape $passon $encstr ...

Please notice 2 thing:
1. afm2pl does NOT invoke afm2tfm, even with "-f afm2tfm" option
(you can check this in the source code of afm2pl by yourself)
2. $encstr in the first {} block does NOT affect the $encstr
in the second {} block, poor indention in this code may give
you a wrong idea.

So, there is just one call here, without -p.

4. my $command = "afm2tfm $file $cleanname.tfm" ;
Obviously, no -p.

To summarize above, 3 calls to afm2tfm total, 1 call with -p
only.

@ 2005-08-21 14:27       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-08-21 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

jjgod wrote:
> Well, let's search the script from top to bottom:
> 1. afm2pl does NOT invoke afm2tfm, even with "-f afm2tfm" option
> (you can check this in the source code of afm2pl by yourself)

You are right, sorry. So only three calls to afm2tfm in total.

Is there an afm2pl executable in miktex, btw? That would nicely
solve the problem.

> 2. $encstr in the first {} block does NOT affect the $encstr
> in the second {} block, poor indention in this code may give
> you a wrong idea.

At this point in the code, $encstr usually has a "-T ..." value
(which implies -p as well, as Patrick tried to explain before).

> So, there is just one call here, without -p.
>
> 4. my $command = "afm2tfm $file $cleanname.tfm" ;
> Obviously, no -p.

This is the 'panic' call I thought was #4, it is only executed when
you explicitly call texfont with the (hidden) switch --expert.

> To summarize above, 3 calls to afm2tfm total, 1 call with -p
> only.

True, but the second call normally has a "-T" in it, and the third
call is only for people that believe they are "smarter than Hans".
Anyway, this is all just silly. There is a bug in afm2tfm in miktex,
period.

Taco

* Re: ConTeXt in MikTeX distribution
@ 2005-08-21 18:05   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-08-21 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

>  > Then we must have different texfont.pl version. Each time afm2tfm is
>  > called, it uses either -T or -p. Running afm2tfm without those
>  > parameters doesn't make very much sense. (Unless you are an english
>  > speaking person that never typesets foreign languages.)
>
> Accoding to
> http://source.contextgarden.net/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl,
> I'm afraid you are wrong, the string "-p" only occured 3 times in this
> file,

You don't have to be afraid. Let us stop this discussion now. Those
who know texfont.pl know that it should use the switches it uses and
there will not be any change in this respect on the texfont.pl side.
Just believe us that the encoding switches are vital. I have recently
reeimplemented afm2tfm and I think that I know what I am talking
about.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Re: ConTeXt in MikTeX distribution
@ 2005-08-22 14:00     ` jjgod
From: jjgod @ 2005-08-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach 写道:

>Hi,
>

>> > Then we must have different texfont.pl version. Each time afm2tfm is
>> > called, it uses either -T or -p. Running afm2tfm without those
>> > parameters doesn't make very much sense. (Unless you are an english
>> > speaking person that never typesets foreign languages.)
>>
>>Accoding to
>>http://source.contextgarden.net/scripts/context/perl/texfont.pl,
>>I'm afraid you are wrong, the string "-p" only occured 3 times in this
>>file,
>>

>You don't have to be afraid. Let us stop this discussion now. Those
>who know texfont.pl know that it should use the switches it uses and
>there will not be any change in this respect on the texfont.pl side.
>Just believe us that the encoding switches are vital. I have recently
>reeimplemented afm2tfm and I think that I know what I am talking
>about.
>
>Patrick

I'm sorry for bother you guys about all these trival problems, but my
situation
is that I'm trying to use ConTeXt under Win32, then I found many things not
so ideal like they're under Linux.

Just list another one, font files received from the vendor is usually in
capital
letters, such as PJN_____.PFB, but the copy_files routine in texfont.pl only
copy *.pfb, then all the type1 files will not be copy to texmf...

Regards,
jjgod.

* Re: ConTeXt in MikTeX distribution
@ 2005-08-22 14:42       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-08-22 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> Just list another one, font files received from the vendor is usually
> in capital
> letters, such as PJN_____.PFB, but the copy_files routine in texfont.pl only
> copy *.pfb, then all the type1 files will not be copy to texmf...

This, of course, is a problem that should be addressed. But I always
thought that windows doesn't care about case when globbing. But I
don't have access to a windows machine, so I can't try it out.

Patrick
--

@ 2005-08-24  7:11         ` Hans Hagen Outside
From: Hans Hagen Outside @ 2005-08-24  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>Just list another one, font files received from the vendor is usually
>>in capital
>>letters, such as PJN_____.PFB, but the copy_files routine in texfont.pl only
>>copy *.pfb, then all the type1 files will not be copy to texmf...
>>

>This, of course, is a problem that should be addressed. But I always
>thought that windows doesn't care about case when globbing. But I
>don't have access to a windows machine, so I can't try it out.
>
>Patrick

guess why there is:

 >textools
TeXTools | version 1.2.2 - 2002/2005 - PRAGMA ADE/POD

TeXTools | --downcasefilenames [--recurse] [--force]

I always downcase font files before i install them

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-08-20 12:55     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-08-20 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

>> But then: how do you specify the encoding of the mapfile/psfont? -p is
>> a pretty important switch when using non-ascii encoings.

> So what output infomation will afm2tfm generate when -p option is
> on?

The encoding of the fonts in the postscript/pdf file. And an entry for
the mapfile, such as

8r-dolli___-orig Dolly-Italic "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <dolli___.pfb

                               ^^^^^^^^^  this is the -p/-T option ^^^

> In my copy of texfont.pl, it only use -p option once,

Then we must have different texfont.pl version. Each time afm2tfm is
called, it uses either -T or -p. Running afm2tfm without those
parameters doesn't make very much sense. (Unless you are an english
speaking person that never typesets foreign languages.)

> unlink the tfm file, collect output into $cleanfont variable. So if
> I use non-ascii encoding (8r? texnansi?), $cleanfont will be set to
> what?

That doesn't matter here. afm2tfm needs to get fixed in miktex. Point.
No discussion worth.

Patrick
--

@ 2005-08-19  8:53 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-08-19  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> I've just updated my MikTeX distribution, which
> use a 2005-07-12 version of context package. Since
> then MikTeX could not generate the cont-en format
> file, when I use texexec --make en, it reports
> TeX capacity not enough, so I have to modify the
> localtexmf/miktex/config/miktex.ini file, change
> |trie_op_size from 2048 to 4096.

Did you contact the MikTeX maintainers about that?

[...]

@ 2005-08-14 20:44 jjgod
From: jjgod @ 2005-08-14 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've just updated my MikTeX distribution, which
use a 2005-07-12 version of context package. Since
then MikTeX could not generate the cont-en format
file, when I use texexec --make en, it reports
TeX capacity not enough, so I have to modify the
localtexmf/miktex/config/miktex.ini file, change
|trie_op_size from 2048 to 4096.

The second problem is about texfont. When texfont
installing Type1 fonts, it use '-p' option of afm2tfm
to collect some infomation, but it seems in the
afm2tfm source code of MikTeX, -p only works when
libkpathsea enabled, otherwise afm2tfm will crash.
(without kpathsea support, afm2tfm will only looking
for .enc in current directory instead of the
directory configured in miktex.ini. Some users in
this mail-list may have reported this problem).

Current afm2tfm executable file from MikTeX was
compiled without libkpathsea support, so when texfont
tries to
my $command = "afm2tfm \"$file\" -p texnansi.enc texfont.tfm";

afm2tfm crashed and texfont failed to collect infomation
into the $cleanfont variable.

So I suggest the maintainer of context avoid using
the -p option, it seems

||afm2tfm \"$file\" texfont.tfm|

does the same job in this piece of code.

Another problem is that some font vendor distribute
their font files in captial letters, such as BIRKA___.PFB,
it cause the copy_files routine in texfont.pl failed
to copy those pfb files to correct texmf directory.

Regards,
jjgod.