* Windows xp user wants to begin with context
@ 2004-01-22 16:52 Wilfried Van Hirtum
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Wilfried Van Hirtum @ 2004-01-22 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I'm a complete ms word user who wants to convert to context to make his mathematical textbooks. I have windows xp on my computer, but nothing (really nothing like perl, editor's or distribution) else. What exactly have i to do make my pc work with context?
By the way, don't say to me to read the how to install context manual which are not meant to read by absolute beginners. I've spent hours on looking around on internet, on the pragma-website, reading manuals, but i don't find something clear and simple what tells me exactly to do and in which order to let me begin working with context. There seems to be so many pre-knowledge about perl, command line commands, and so on..
But can anybody out there please tell me how i can start from the very beginning.
I would appreciate your advise very much.
To set it clear: i'm not a linux or unix-user, i use windowx xp.
I really want to begin with context, but there seems to be so many obstacles to overwin. Many thanks in advance.

Wilfried Van Hirtum

* Re: Windows xp user wants to begin with context
@ 2004-01-22 17:13 ` Tobias Burnus
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2004-01-22 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:52:44AM -0800, Wilfried Van Hirtum wrote:
> I'm a complete ms word user who wants to convert to context to make his mathematical textbooks. I have windows xp on my computer, but nothing (really nothing like perl, editor's or distribution) else. What exactly have i to do make my pc work with context?
First, welcome in the club.

You need a TeX distribution. There are three possible starting points:
a) TeX Live - http://www.tug.org/texlive/
b) fpTeX    - http://www.fptex.org/
c) MikTeX   - http://www.miktex.org/

If you find someone who has a TeX Live CD it is probably the easiest
way. TeX Live is up to date and contains a few editors (if I remember
correctly). Otherwise try either fpTeX or MikTeX. (I personally like
fpTeX more, it is more similar to Unix's teTeX and part of TeX Live,
but it is really a matter of taste.)
Both MikTeX and fpTeX should contain a not-too-old version of ConTeXt.
I don't know whether you need to install PERL as well or whether it is
included with the installer of (a),(b) and/or (c). Otherwise, it is
available from http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/

Having GhostScript (a PostScript viewer) is also nice, it is available
from http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get811.htm
and you should get GSView too.

For an editor, I remember that I used PFE back then 5 (?) years ago.
But there are probably better one available. I found this list, but I
cannot give a recommondation:
  http://home.nexgo.de/itsfd/texwin.htm

> By the way, don't say to me to read the how to install context manual which are not meant to read by absolute beginners.
Well, it requires you to have TeX installed, which is already a false
assumption for real beginners ;)

> I would appreciate your advise very much.
I hope some with more recent experience in TeX on Windows will jump in.

Regards,

Tobias

* Re: Windows xp user wants to begin with context
@ 2004-01-22 17:40 ` pawcoo
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: pawcoo @ 2004-01-22 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

> I'm a complete ms word user who wants to convert to context

Good decision!

> But can anybody out there please tell me how i can start from the very beginning.

1. Download Perl from http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/
2. Download some stable version of ConTeXt from (or any full TeX
distribution)
3. Install ActivePerl (using its wizard)
4. Install ConTeXt following precise instructions specified in
'minstall.pdf' (this short manual is probably in every ConTeXt
distributions)

> To set it clear: i'm not a linux or unix-user, i use windowx xp.

Me to. Actually I use ONE ConTeXt distribution (one TeX in general
distribution) under Linux and Windows. And many other NTG-members do so!
There is NO obstacles to use ConTeXt under windows. The only obstacle is
the very beginning of using TeX... Let me encourage You: ConTeXt allows
to start TeXing smoothly.

Regards, Pawe/l

* RE: Windows xp user wants to begin with context
@ 2004-01-22 17:43 ` Jan Houwers
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jan Houwers @ 2004-01-22 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Wilfried,

Recently I switched from Word to Context. I used the TexLive
distribution which is offered at www.fptex.org <http://www.fptex.org/> .

You have to download about 455 Mbytes. Then start the setup and accept
the default installation. When all is finished it gives a
right out the box working Text environment, including ConTeXT. Perl and
ghostscript work and also the environment variables are all there.

I use the WinEdt editor. The editor is Tex aware and works very nice
together with the TeXLive environment.

Jan

[...]

  _____

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21608/*http:/webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/>
Try it!

* Re: Windows xp user wants to begin with context
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-22 19:06 ` Christopher G. D.  Tipper
From: Christopher G. D.  Tipper @ 2004-01-22 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Welcome to the club. I've been using ConTeXt on Windows for a few years.
I suggest using MiKTeX if you're a complete beginner. It comes with a
graphical package manager and a graphical administration tool. They say
fpTeX is closer to TeTeX, but you really don't want to be using command
line stuff on Windows, it doesn't have the features XTerm users take for
granted (such as decent histories and stuff).

You'll need ActivePerl to run texexec, which is a perl script that holds
Context together. This is pretty painless, and just sits there and does
its thing.

I can't recommend WinEdt http://www.winedt.com/ (note that is not the
same as WinEdit) highly enough, and it is easy to create toolbars and
menus to do ConText stuff. Its commercial, but reasonably priced, and
the author operates a pretty speedy turnaround on support issues.

Ghostcsript is nice to have, but Acrobat is really much more usable, and
renders better. I do use Ghostscript, but I can live without it. Mainly
comes into its own when you are operating in Postscript mode with EPS
figures and stuff. Context is perfectly capable of doing everything with
PDF, so I can't see the point. Also Acrobate sucks on Linux, so people
from that background don't know what they're missing.

Christopher

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 16:52, Wilfried Van Hirtum wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm a complete ms word user who wants to convert to context to make
> his mathematical textbooks. I have windows xp on my computer, but
> nothing (really nothing like perl, editor's or distribution) else.
> What exactly have i to do make my pc work with context?
> By the way, don't say to me to read the how to install context manual
> which are not meant to read by absolute beginners. I've spent hours on
> looking around on internet, on the pragma-website, reading manuals,
> but i don't find something clear and simple what tells me exactly to
> do and in which order to let me begin working with context. There
> seems to be so many pre-knowledge about perl, command line commands,
> and so on..
> But can anybody out there please tell me how i can start from the very
> beginning.
> I would appreciate your advise very much.
> To set it clear: i'm not a linux or unix-user, i use windowx xp.
> I really want to begin with context, but there seems to be so many
> obstacles to overwin. Many thanks in advance.
>
> Wilfried Van Hirtum

* Re: Windows xp user wants to begin with context
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-22 20:28 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-01-22 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wilfried,

Good! This is certainly a decision you will not regret. Do not dispair,
if there are hurdles until the system is setup!

Just to add to the hopefully not to big confusion:

There is yet another editor which is really to be considered.  - its
name is Scite.  You can download it from
    http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDownload.html

Hans Hagen at Pragma has made this editor CONTEXT aware. - And this will
be extended ...
Advantages: highlighting ,  running  texexec  from the menu or  by
key,  possibilities to run a syntax-check,  view the compiled file in
the PDF-viewer.

Kind regards Willi

Wilfried Van Hirtum wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm a complete ms word user who wants to convert to context to make
> his mathematical textbooks. I have windows xp on my computer, but
> nothing (really nothing like perl, editor's or distribution) else.
> What exactly have i to do make my pc work with context?
> By the way, don't say to me to read the /how to install context
> manual/ which are not meant to read by absolute beginners. I've spent
> hours on looking around on internet, on the pragma-website, reading
> manuals, but i don't find something clear and simple what tells me
> exactly to do and in which order to let me begin working with context.
> There seems to be so many pre-knowledge about perl, command line
> commands, and so on..
> But can anybody out there please tell me how i can start from the very
> beginning.
> I would appreciate your advise very much.
> To set it clear: i'm not a linux or unix-user, i use windowx xp.
> I really want to begin with context, but there seems to be so many
> obstacles to overwin. Many thanks in advance.
>
> Wilfried Van Hirtum

> Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. *Try it!*
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21608/*http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/>

* Re: Windows xp user wants to begin with context
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-22 20:42 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2004-01-22 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Wilfried Van Hirtum wrote:
> But can anybody out there please tell me how i can start from the very
> beginning. I would appreciate your advise very much.

There are many versions of the same theme, but some ways do suit a Windows
user quite well. I actually wouldn't know how to install ConTeXt in a
linux or unix (should maybe try one day...), but I've found my way with
Windows, like this:

System: TeXLive.
I download the ISO image, burn it on a CD (XP's native software doesn't
read ISO's, but for example Nero does) and use the one and same CD to
install all the computers I use (1 x XP, 2 x W2k, 2 x NT).  The necessary
piece of information here seems to be that only the full installation of
TeXLive works out-of-the-box - standard seems to forget some parts that
are very necessary to the Windows user who hasn't used any programs like
this before (been there, done that, lost half a day on it).

Editor: NTEmacs, comes in the TeXLive full installation. To make it work I
have to add and compile context.el and fiddle a bit with the settings. Now
I have a fully configured .emacs settings file which I just copy for each
computer. If you are truly interested in using NTEmacs for ConTeXt work
(and only that), I can set up detailed instructions with appropriate links
and instructions and a ready-to-use .emacs (complete with printer
settings).
With the context.el (context mode) NTEmacs among others shows the ConTeXt
codes in colours and uses the i-spell spell checker without getting stuck
in the codes (and i-spell comes even i Finnish!). You'll get much of the
same functionality with WinEdt, I just didn't like it (and couldn't figure
out how to make a button to direct-compile my file) and I knew the Emacs
keyboard commands from before.

Setup: Windows (whichever of them) automatically opens .tex files into
NTEmacs. I edit them and can compile with a menu command or keyboard
shortcut (prefer the latter, hate mousework). Because I set my system that
way, the file is compiled straight into .pdf and I can use another command
to open the file in Acrobat reader to view it (assuming the compilation
worked out).

Advantages and disadvantages compared with Word (or similar):
+ files with umpteen large figures never ever crash and
  never get corrupted; the compilation may crash, but the file
  always survives - and takes a lot less space.
+ accepts pdf pictures (although this far I've always
  cropped them in full Acrobat; there must be an easier way),
  which is good when original is not in an easy vector format;
  jpg works perfectly, too.
+ table of contents, indices, references are so much easier
  to make and have a much higher success rate; and finding the
  ones that don't work is easy
-> a manual I produced with ConText has a lot higher level
   of consistency than the earlier ones that were written
   with Word (and without using some of its existing
   reference mechanism)
+ our print shop loves the pdf files produced by the very
  default ConTeXt pdf compiling system
- tables are a big pain
- fonts used to be a big hassle, I think the last version of
  ConText makes them only a medium hassle
- once in a while I go crazy because I know in Windows/Word
  language what I want, but cannot translate it into ConTeXt.
  I'm slowly learning to accept that I may never master
  ConTeXt the way I used to master Word (I'm a heavy-user);
  but the result will still be a lot better
- there's some command line work involved; I've managed work
  around some of it by learning to make .bat files, but
  there's more to be done.

What's different:
* if you are used to Word, the way real typesetting systems
  move floats (like pictures and floating tables) around
  feels a bit weird in the beginning (and trying to explain
  the behaviour to your boss may be "interesting"...)
* the more you've used styles (defined headings etc) in Windows text
  processing, the easier ConTeXt will be for you; people who are used to
  formatting everything by hand (i.e. don't do structural
  thinking) will find this kind of typesetting very difficult
  to understand
* there's a ton of new and different options; I just haven't
  gotten very far yet. One day I will try to understand the
  module system and make it work for me, to compile printable
  and interactive documents from the same sources.

One of my projects for a longish time has been to write detailed beginner
instructions for ConTeXt in the Windows way (I used to teach beginner to
intermediate Windows, I still speak the language, and Word too). If I
manage to excavate my desk (probably at work) deep enough to find the new
TeXLive CD I burned before Christmas, the pages should be up by
mid-February.

Things have changed during the 18 months since I first took up my fight
with ConTeXt, so I need to check all the notes I've made before releasing
anything. And I'll probably start with Windows NT, but in my experience
the Windows version doesn't make any difference as long as it's Win95 or
newer and the user-rights are sufficient.

Greetings from the cold north (-15 centigrades!),

		Mari from Finland
		<mari.voipio@iki.fi>

* Re: Windows xp user wants to begin with context
@ 2004-01-22 21:32   ` Gary Pajer
From: Gary Pajer @ 2004-01-22 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Wilfried Van Hirtum wrote:
> > But can anybody out there please tell me how i can start from the very
> > beginning. I would appreciate your advise very much.

You're getting good info.   Here's my $0.02:

1.) I can speak only for MiKTeX, but its remote setup and maintenance
facililty works like a dream. ConTeXt included.

2.) The ConTeXt docs require patience.

3.) There are a few bugs.

4.) I think it is much more sensible than LaTeX (ymmv)

5.)  Editors:  At a cocktail party, there are three subjects you should
never discuss:  sex, politics, and editors.

Attention SciTE users:  huh?
I have a reasonably new SciTE and there is no mention of ConTeXt.  There was
discussion some time ago about Hans' version of SciTE, but the link to it
(http://www.pragma-ade.com/scite) has been empty for quite some time.  Is
this a dead idea, or is it hiding under a rock somewhere?

-gary

* Pb running ex-gui
@ 2004-01-23  8:50     ` olivier Turlier
From: olivier Turlier @ 2004-01-23  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ConTeXers,
I've tryed to play with with ex-gui.pdf but not get any results.
I'm using : Ruby 1.8.0 + TeXlive 8 + ConTeXt  ver: 2004.1.16  fmt:
2004.1.22  int: english  mes: english + XP

A question on Ruby : does it accept a namespace in a path?
	(like Program Files)
		     ^
Here, I list all the unsuccessfull commands (from the command line in
Scite) (see a complete listenig attached):
	ruby exampler --continue --setuppath=C:\Program
Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts

I've tried to run directly exampler script from its original
(texmf\...)location by right cliking on it and choosing "run in ruby
interpreter" , I see in a shell :
	exampler  +  program exampler
	exampler  +  version 1.0
	exampler  +  listening at 127.0.0.1:8061 for one cycle
Then I came back in Scite for testing one of the Context specific
command like Show Documentation = texmfstart --file=showcase.pdf
--program=context (no result)
or launching (in Acrobat 6 pro) examplap.pdf : test one option
(combine), the resulting pdf page gets alays : http://127.0.0.1:8061
invalid dialog

No more ideas yet

If you have time to test them, and like to play with those nice
features, thanks for an advice.

Olivier

[-- Attachment #2: cmd-ruby.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1648 bytes --]

ruby  -h

ruby exampler --continue --setuppath=C:\Program Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts

ruby  --continue --setuppath=C:\Program Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts exampler

ruby  -CC:\Program Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts --continue exampler

ruby  -lC:\Program Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts  exampler

ruby --setuppath=C:\Program Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts -S exampler

ruby --continue --setuppath=C:\Program Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts -S exampler

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

exampler  +  program exampler
exampler  +  version 1.0
exampler  +  author PRAGMA POD
exampler  +  no commandline
exampler  +  using environment setuppath C:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf/context/
ruby
exampler  +  loading C:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf/context/ruby/../examplap/scr
ipts/example.exa
exampler  -  sub environment file machine.exa not found
exampler  -  sub environment file presets.exa not found
exampler  +  !! checking if texroot is set to a valid path !!
exampler  +  !! setting texmf variables based on kpsewhich !!
exampler  -  sub environment file paths.exa not found
exampler  -  sub environment file local.exa not found
exampler  +  gone to jobpath c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf-var/examplap/jobs
exampler  +  jobpath c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf-var/examplap/jobs
exampler  +  resultpath c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf-var/examplap/results
exampler  +  server started on 127.0.0.1:8061
exampler  +  listening at 127.0.0.1:8061 for one cycle

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

* Re: Pb running ex-gui
@ 2004-01-23  9:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-01-23  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:50 23/01/2004, you wrote:
>Hi ConTeXers,
>I've tryed to play with with ex-gui.pdf but not get any results.
>I'm using : Ruby 1.8.0 + TeXlive 8 + ConTeXt  ver: 2004.1.16  fmt:
>2004.1.22  int: english  mes: english + XP
>
>A question on Ruby : does it accept a namespace in a path?
>         (like Program Files)
>                      ^
>Here, I list all the unsuccessfull commands (from the command line in
>Scite) (see a complete listenig attached):
>         ruby exampler --continue --setuppath=C:\Program
> Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts

does

"c:\pro ....."

work?

>I've tried to run directly exampler script from its original
>(texmf\...)location by right cliking on it and choosing "run in ruby
>interpreter" , I see in a shell :
>         exampler  +  program exampler
>         exampler  +  version 1.0
>         exampler  +  listening at 127.0.0.1:8061 for one cycle

                                                     ^^^^^^^^^
seems that exampler is not in continuous mode

>Then I came back in Scite for testing one of the Context specific command
>like Show Documentation = texmfstart --file=showcase.pdf --program=context
>(no result)
>or launching (in Acrobat 6 pro) examplap.pdf : test one option (combine),
>the resulting pdf page gets alays : http://127.0.0.1:8061 invalid dialog

hm, can you try to run the file from a web browser?

Hans

* Re: Pb running ex-gui
@ 2004-01-23 10:34         ` olivier Turlier
From: olivier Turlier @ 2004-01-23 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 09:50 23/01/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Hi ConTeXers,
>> I've tryed to play with with ex-gui.pdf but not get any results.

> does
>
> "c:\pro ....."
>
> work?

No, any of cmd tested send an error message :

ruby exampler --continue --setuppath=C:\Program
Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts  %gives :
	ruby: No such file or directory -- exampler (LoadError)

ruby  -CC:\Program Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts
--continue exampler  				%gives :
	ruby: Can't chdir to C:\Program (fatal)

ruby  -CC:\Program_Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts
--continue exampler				%gives :
	ruby: Can't chdir to
C:\Program_Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts (fatal)

Answers of Ruby are leading me towards a namespace problem, but it's
just a quick supposition

> hm, can you try to run the file from a web browser?
>
> Hans
After launching "contex" server on 8061 port by executing exampler.rb
from its location, nor the acrobat or web (IE6 or Mozilla 1.6) opened
examplap+combine.pdf give other answer than : invalid dialog.

Thanks for the answer

Olivier

* Re: Pb running ex-gui
@ 2004-01-23 13:07       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-01-23 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friday, January 23, 2004 olivier Turlier wrote:

> A question on Ruby : does it accept a namespace in a path?
> 	(like Program Files)
> 		     ^
> Here, I list all the unsuccessfull commands (from the command line in
> Scite) (see a complete listenig attached):
> 	ruby exampler --continue --setuppath=C:\Program
> Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts

You probably need to quote the path:

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Re: Pb running ex-gui
@ 2004-01-25 12:44           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-01-25 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:34 23/01/2004, you wrote:

ruby exampler --continue --setuppath=C:\Program
Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts  %gives :
>         ruby: No such file or directory -- exampler (LoadError)
>
>ruby  -CC:\Program Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts
>--continue exampler                                %gives :
>         ruby: Can't chdir to C:\Program (fatal)
>
>ruby  -CC:\Program_Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts
>--continue exampler                                %gives :
>         ruby: Can't chdir to
> C:\Program_Files\TeXlive\texmf\context\ruby\examplap\scripts (fatal)
>
>Answers of Ruby are leading me towards a namespace problem, but it's just
>a quick supposition
>

>>hm, can you try to run the file from a web browser?
>>Hans
>After launching "contex" server on 8061 port by executing exampler.rb from
>its location, nor the acrobat or web (IE6 or Mozilla 1.6) opened
>examplap+combine.pdf give other answer than : invalid dialog.

well, the famous spaces in paths problem ... this is one reason why i
install tex directly under c:\tex or d:\tex or ...

seems like i need to check exampler cum suis in all kind of places for
sensitivity of spaces

Hans

* Editor questions:  SciTE and Emacs
@ 2004-01-26 13:13     ` Gary Pajer
From: Gary Pajer @ 2004-01-26 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recall that Hans came up with a ConTeXt mode for SciTE, but I can't find
it.
Is it still available?

I've been playing with the AucTeX ConTeXt mode, but I find that it gets
\start and \stop backwards.
e.g. if I type "C-c C-e itemize" I get

\stopitemize
\startitemize

Can anyone comment about this?

There are two ConTeXt modes available.  How do they compare?

Thanks,
Gary

* Re: Editor questions:  SciTE and Emacs
@ 2004-01-26 13:32       ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2004-01-26 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been working with auctex's context-mode for several weeks now, and
I'm absolutely excited about it, it works wonderfully! When I do C-c
C-e itemize, I get \start...\stop in the right order. What version of
Emacs are you using?

Best

Thomas

* Re: Editor questions:  SciTE and Emacs
@ 2004-01-28 14:53         ` Gary Pajer
From: Gary Pajer @ 2004-01-28 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've been working with auctex's context-mode for several weeks now, and
> I'm absolutely excited about it, it works wonderfully! When I do C-c
> C-e itemize, I get \start...\stop in the right order. What version of
> Emacs are you using?

21.1.2,  on cygwin
I don't know how to figure out how up to date my auctex is.
I checked it out of CVS a while ago, and I haven't been able to update it
... the connection times out.

Is the ConTeXt support still limited to the CVS version of auctex?

@ 2004-01-30  8:46           ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-01-30  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Gary Pajer" <pajer@iname.com> writes:

> I don't know how to figure out how up to date my auctex is.

C-h v AUCTeX-version RET

> I checked it out of CVS a while ago, and I haven't been able to update it
> ... the connection times out.

Did you follow the new instruction on svannah.gnu.org?

https://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=auctex

> Is the ConTeXt support still limited to the CVS version of auctex?

Yes, since there is no new release yet.

Patrick

* Re: Re: Editor questions:  SciTE and Emacs
@ 2004-01-31  0:48             ` Gary Pajer
From: Gary Pajer @ 2004-01-31  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: "Patrick Gundlach" <pg@levana.de>

> "Gary Pajer" <pajer@iname.com> writes:
>

> > I don't know how to figure out how up to date my auctex is.
>
> C-h v AUCTeX-version RET
>
> > I checked it out of CVS a while ago, and I haven't been able to update
it
> > ... the connection times out.
>
> Did you follow the new instruction on svannah.gnu.org?

I was having trouble with that, but I finally got it working.
My AUCTeX is now CVS-5.324
and emacs is 21.2.1  (cygwin)

And I *still* get

\stopitemize
\startitemize

Is there a better place than here to ask about this?

-gary