* \type doen't type -- with latin-modern fonts.
@ 2003-09-13 16:49 Daniel Flipo
From: Daniel Flipo @ 2003-09-13 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dflipo

Hi all,

See the following test file
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%interface=en output=pdftex

%\definetypeface [myface] [tt][mono]
%           [computer-modern][default][encoding=ec]
\definetypeface [myface] [tt] [mono]
              [latin-modern] [default][encoding=ec]

\setupbodyfont[myface,sans,14.4pt]

\starttext

\starttyping
TEXEDIT = emacsclient --no-wait +%d %s
\stoptyping

\type{TEXEDIT = emacsclient --no-wait +%d %s}

\stoptext
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\starttyping ... \stoptyping works fine, but
\type{} typsets a "single dash" instead of two dashes.
The "single dash" is also different (lower and shorter)
than the two dashes.
The same is true with the AEfonts (Computer-modern
with EC ecoding), but not with the default fonts (true CM).

Any fix for this?

Daniel Flipo

* Re: \type doen't type -- with latin-modern fonts.
@ 2003-09-13 17:44 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-13 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Daniel Flipo <Daniel.Flipo@univ-lille1.fr> writes:

[...]

> \starttyping ... \stoptyping works fine, but
> \type{} typsets a "single dash" instead of two dashes.
> The "single dash" is also different (lower and shorter)
> than the two dashes.

You should make a bug report and send it to Hans. IMO the \type
should try hard to avoid ligatures (I have no clue how this could be
done, but since Hans did this for \starttyping...\stoptyping, there
is a chance that this might go into \type, too).

One could argue that there should be no ligatures in a tt (or better:
monospaced) font. But this is a point where the opinion of the
experts is not clear. See the thread "bug or feature? aer font
problems":

http://search.gmane.org/search.php?query=bug+or+feature%3F+aer+font+problems&email=&group=gmane.comp.tex.context&sort=date

and the follow up at

http://www.tug.org/mail-archives/fontinst/2001/000763.html

Patrick
--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl

* Re: Re: \type doen't type -- with latin-modern fonts.
@ 2003-09-13 19:17   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-13 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: B.Jackowski

At 19:44 13/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Daniel Flipo <Daniel.Flipo@univ-lille1.fr> writes:
>
>[...]
>
> > \starttyping ... \stoptyping works fine, but
> > \type{} typsets a "single dash" instead of two dashes.
> > The "single dash" is also different (lower and shorter)
> > than the two dashes.
>
>You should make a bug report and send it to Hans. IMO the \type
>should try hard to avoid ligatures (I have no clue how this could be
>done, but since Hans did this for \starttyping...\stoptyping, there
>is a chance that this might go into \type, too).
>
>One could argue that there should be no ligatures in a tt (or better:
>monospaced) font. But this is a point where the opinion of the
>experts is not clear. See the thread "bug or feature? aer font
>problems":

since this effect does not show op with cmtt, it looks like the lmtt fonts
indeed have a ligature, which makes them somehow incompatible;

the reason why display verbatim goes ok, is that in that mode each
character gets processed independently which prohibits lig building;

the best solution would be a \noligs primitives (also handy for xml)

an alternative is to have two tfm files, one for tt text with ligature
building and one for verbatim, say:

cmtt10.tfm
cmtv10.tfm

(cmvtt is already taken)

let's see what Jacko says ...

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: \type doen't type -- with latin-modern fonts.
@ 2003-09-13 22:10     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-13 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: B.Jackowski

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

Hi,

> since this effect does not show op with cmtt, it looks like the lmtt
> fonts indeed have a ligature, which makes them somehow incompatible;

right. See for example cork-lmtt10.tfm

(LIGTABLE
   (LABEL O 41)        1
   (LIG O 140 O 275)
   (STOP)
   (LABEL O 77)        2
   (LIG O 140 O 276)
   (STOP)
   (LABEL O 55)        3
   (LIG O 55 O 25)     4
   (LIG O 177 O 177)   5
   (STOP)
   )

the first and second one is the standard TeX ?` and !` (perhaps I've
got the accent wrong), that are also in cmtt. The third (3-4) is
hyphen-hyphen->endash and the last one (3-5)
hyphen-strangechar->strangechar (what is it? some
other kind of hyphen?).

> the best solution would be a \noligs primitives (also handy for xml)

:-) I think a lot of TeXhackers would like to see something like this.

> an alternative is to have two tfm files, one for tt text with ligature
> building and one for verbatim, say:
>
> cmtt10.tfm
> cmtv10.tfm
>
> (cmvtt is already taken)

and some more of the font mess....

> let's see what Jacko says ...

that would be good to hear.

Patrick

* Re: Re: \type doen't type -- with latin-modern  fonts.
@ 2003-09-14  7:26     ` Daniel Flipo
From: Daniel Flipo @ 2003-09-14  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dflipo, "Boguslaw Jackowski"

Hans Hagen writes:

> since this effect does not show op with cmtt, it looks like the lmtt
fonts
> indeed have a ligature, which makes them somehow incompatible;

Note that the bug also occurs with ae-fonts, so they should be fixed
too... although ae-fonts will probably disappear when lm-fonts spread.

@ 2003-09-14  9:38       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-14  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Flipo <Daniel.Flipo@univ-lille1.fr> writes:

> Note that the bug also occurs with ae-fonts, so they should be fixed
> too... although ae-fonts will probably disappear when lm-fonts spread.

this is due to fontinst. The lm fonts, as far as I know, were created
by "hand" (metatype1). We could pick up the discussion for ligatures
in monospaced fonts by fontinst if needed.

But I have to admit that I can imagine a situation where one wants
this ligature: when you typeset text in a regular font and switch to
tt afterwards.

Patrick

--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl