* Re: installing fonts pdftex
       [not found] <497E4731.5040902@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
@ 2009-01-27 11:35 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-01-27 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 27, 2009, at 12:28 AM, Mohamed Bana wrote:

> Hi Thomas,

Hi,

please address questions to the mailing-list, not to me personally.

> 1. when is the last time you tried to install a font manually using
> texfont?  i've been trying to get install warnockpro and cronospro -
> both of which are .otf - but i've had no lack.
>
> texfont --makepath --install --fontroot=`pwd` --vendor=adobe --
> co=warnockpro --en=texnansi --lcdf --preproc --
> variant=liga,kern,smcp,onum
>
> the last time i checked texfont was generating an empty map file.

texfont is really old, it predates opentype fonts, so you can't expect
it to handle such fonts. It was a brave and wonderful effort to
automate installation of fonts, but I gave up using it - not because
texfont itself is bad, but because so many fonts are just faulty and/
or idiosyncratic, and automatization just can't handle all these
eceptions. I always had to double-check and edit files by hand, so I
decided to go for a manual process. The --lcdf switch was added by
Adam Lindsay, who also wrote a short article about otf and ConTeXt: http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/lindsay/lindsay.pdf
  Too bad Adam isn't active anymore, he was a great help in ConTeXt
development. If you search the mailing list archive for "texfont
lcdf," you will see that the problem with the empty map file is common
and was never really solved, AFAIK.

So you have several options:

1. install the fonts manually

2. use texfont and write the map file manually

3. try Patrick's otfinst http://wiki.contextgarden.net/otfinst

4. I have a set of support files for using Cronos and Warnock with
pdftex; if you want, I can make a zip and send them to you (not before
Thursday, however).

> the free version of lucida (.ttf) that ship with Java files worked
> fine
>
> 2. is there someone i must do to get to dashes working properly?  as
> in, --- doesn't generate the right dash nor does --.

These are defined as ligatures in the tfm/vf files. Doesn't texfont
produce vpl-files as an intermediate format? You could open those and
check whether the ligature is defined. It probably isn't, and then you
have to hunt down the reason or add it manually...

Good luck

Thomas

* Re: installing fonts pdftex
@ 2009-01-29 20:47   ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-01-29 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

this http://wiki.contextgarden.net/otfinst did it and it actually worked
quite well, thanks a lot.  it even took care of the dashes problem.  do
you know how to default to old style numerals the 'osf' doesn't seem to
work, and i'm certain that the font supports it.  and if you so happen
to be the author, you've got a bug; if i chose Sans, it generates this
typescript

\definetypeface [sample][rm][serif][cronospro][default][encoding=texnansi]

instead of

\definetypeface [sample][ss][sans][cronospro][default][encoding=texnansi]

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2009, at 12:28 AM, Mohamed Bana wrote:
>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>

> Hi,
>
> please address questions to the mailing-list, not to me personally.
>
>> 1. when is the last time you tried to install a font manually using
>> texfont?  i've been trying to get install warnockpro and cronospro -
>> both of which are .otf - but i've had no lack.
>>
>> texfont --makepath --install --fontroot=`pwd` --vendor=adobe
>> --co=warnockpro --en=texnansi --lcdf --preproc
>> --variant=liga,kern,smcp,onum
>>
>> the last time i checked texfont was generating an empty map file.
>
> texfont is really old, it predates opentype fonts, so you can't expect
> it to handle such fonts. It was a brave and wonderful effort to automate
> installation of fonts, but I gave up using it - not because texfont
> itself is bad, but because so many fonts are just faulty and/or
> idiosyncratic, and automatization just can't handle all these eceptions.
> I always had to double-check and edit files by hand, so I decided to go
> for a manual process. The --lcdf switch was added by Adam Lindsay, who
> also wrote a short article about otf and ConTeXt:
> http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/lindsay/lindsay.pdf Too bad Adam
> isn't active anymore, he was a great help in ConTeXt development. If you
> search the mailing list archive for "texfont lcdf," you will see that
> the problem with the empty map file is common and was never really
> solved, AFAIK.
>
> So you have several options:
>
> 1. install the fonts manually
>
> 2. use texfont and write the map file manually
>
> 3. try Patrick's otfinst http://wiki.contextgarden.net/otfinst
>
> 4. I have a set of support files for using Cronos and Warnock with
> pdftex; if you want, I can make a zip and send them to you (not before
> Thursday, however).
>>

>> the free version of lucida (.ttf) that ship with Java files worked fine
>>
>> 2. is there someone i must do to get to dashes working properly?  as
>> in, --- doesn't generate the right dash nor does --.
>
> These are defined as ligatures in the tfm/vf files. Doesn't texfont
> produce vpl-files as an intermediate format? You could open those and
> check whether the ligature is defined. It probably isn't, and then you
> have to hunt down the reason or add it manually...
>

> Good luck
>
> Thomas

* Re: installing fonts pdftex
@ 2009-01-30 16:32     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2009-01-30 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

> this http://wiki.contextgarden.net/otfinst did it and it actually
> worked quite well, thanks a lot.

good to know :-)

> it even took care of the dashes
> problem.  do you know how to default to old style numerals the 'osf'
> doesn't seem to work, and i'm certain that the font supports it.  and
> if you so happen to be the author, you've got a bug;

I am the anonymous author :), I'll have a look into this this weekend.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net