* contextgarden.net
@ 2009-01-18 20:22 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2009-01-18 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

within the next 24 hours contextgarden.net will be on a new machine.
Expect some broken things. If things keep being broken after one day
from now, I'd be happy to receive bug reports.

Warning: this also affects the update of the distribution (formally
known as the "minimals").

I'll put a page on the wiki where I list the status of the transition:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/New_Server

(not there yet)

Thanks for your patience!

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: contextgarden.net
@ 2010-12-18 14:47         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-12-18 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 13:56, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Question for mojca: will the garden eventually move to your new context
> server?

That depends on the main maintainer. We have 2TB disk space. I cannot
speak about uptime yet, but the admins are sometimes willing to run to
institute at 3am when something of high priority happens (this server
probably doesn't count as high priority, but still).

Mojca

* Re: contextgarden.net
@ 2010-12-18 12:56       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-12-18 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-12-2010 12:14, Daniel Grycman wrote:

>> It's not so much about doing regular server maintainance (which is
>> very low once the server is set up), but about implementing new
>> creative ideas. Improving application for modules, implement new
>> features on wiki, creating some safe environment to enable running
>> mkiv on the server, maintaining some version control of ConTeXt,
>> improve and update source browser, improving reference for commands
>> (both develop the application as well as adding descriptions) etc.
>> etc. etc.
>
> Sound interesting to me to participate :-).

Question for mojca: will the garden eventually move to your new context
server?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: contextgarden.net
@ 2010-12-18 11:14     ` Daniel Grycman
From: Daniel Grycman @ 2010-12-18 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It's not so much about doing regular server maintainance (which is
> very low once the server is set up), but about implementing new
> creative ideas. Improving application for modules, implement new
> features on wiki, creating some safe environment to enable running
> mkiv on the server, maintaining some version control of ConTeXt,
> improve and update source browser, improving reference for commands
> (both develop the application as well as adding descriptions) etc.
> etc. etc.

Sound interesting to me to participate :-).

Daniel

* Re: contextgarden.net
@ 2010-12-18  9:54     ` Vedran Miletić
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2010-12-18  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/12/18 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>

> creating some safe environment to enable running
> mkiv on the server,

I'm actually working on this specifically. It will
Python/Django/PostgreSQL-based and it will (hopefully) be ready before
summer semester starts here, which is 1.3.2011. We will use it inside of a
virtual machine, so I can't speak for security.

Regards,

Vedran Miletić

* Re: contextgarden.net
@ 2010-12-18  9:42     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-12-18  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/18/2010 10:36 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I don't know what sourceforge supports and what it doesn't, but I
> don't believe that I could get ssh access, consume 40 GB of disk
> space, run arbitrary cronjobs and offer rsync access to start with
> (all needed for minimals).

And on top of that all, I want to repeat the ugliness argument :)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: contextgarden.net
@ 2010-12-18  9:36   ` Mojca Miklavec
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-12-18  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 10:12, Vnpenguin wrote:

> Why not move all to Sourceforge.net ?

Apart from being ugly, sourceforge doesn't even come close to the
desired functionality of contextgarden.net. The garden is in
suboptimal state, but moving to sourceforge wouldn't simplify the
things in any single way.

@ 2010-12-18  9:12 ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-12-18  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:26, Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have mentioned it at the last context conference: I am looking for a person (or a group) to take over the server contextgarden.net. Not only the wiki or the modules section or ..., but the complete server.
>
> I have started everything more then seven years ago and we (= you) have all made it possible that contextgarden.net is now used by more then 500 unique visitors each day (the wiki alone). The average time a user spends on the wiki is three and a half minute (according to the stats, but this is inaccurate, of course), I think that is pretty good!
>
> But as usual in a setting like this, I have shifted my focus. This does not mean I like ConTeXt less then several years ago! By no means! But I am too busy with my new job and my family so there is pretty much no server maintenance (except for a reboot once in a while).
>
> I really hope that someone steps in and I can hand over all the files/databases and the domain name before the next conference.
>
> Not that some parts are already maintained by other people: most prominently the minimals are done by Mojca with help of Arthur (I hope I've got it right).
>
> Patrick

Why not move all to Sourceforge.net ?

Just my two cent

* Re: contextgarden.net
@ 2010-12-17 13:35 ` Daniel Grycman
From: Daniel Grycman @ 2010-12-17 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Patrick,
hi list,

I would be interested but only as part of a group. Anyone else interested?

Daniel

Am 17.12.2010 um 11:26 schrieb Patrick Gundlach:

> Hi,
>
> I have mentioned it at the last context conference: I am looking for a person (or a group) to take over the server contextgarden.net. Not only the wiki or the modules section or ..., but the complete server.
>
> I have started everything more then seven years ago and we (= you) have all made it possible that contextgarden.net is now used by more then 500 unique visitors each day (the wiki alone). The average time a user spends on the wiki is three and a half minute (according to the stats, but this is inaccurate, of course), I think that is pretty good!
>
> But as usual in a setting like this, I have shifted my focus. This does not mean I like ConTeXt less then several years ago! By no means! But I am too busy with my new job and my family so there is pretty much no server maintenance (except for a reboot once in a while).
>
> I really hope that someone steps in and I can hand over all the files/databases and the domain name before the next conference.
>
> Not that some parts are already maintained by other people: most prominently the minimals are done by Mojca with help of Arthur (I hope I've got it right).
>
> Patrick

* contextgarden.net
@ 2010-12-17 10:26 Patrick Gundlach