* alignment questions
@ 2005-03-12 23:27 Patrick Gundlach
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-12 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello *,

inspired by Gerben's question, I did some experimenting with \framed.

I'd like to get A[text]B, where text is some long thing in a framed
box like \framed[width=5cm] {\input tufte \par}.

There are three different ways of aligning the three objects:

(A and B on the same baseline as the first row)

A We  thrive  in  information- B
-------------------------------
  thick worlds because of  our
  marvelous and  everyday  ca-

(A and B in the middle of the box, not necessarily on the same
baseline as a line in the box)

  criminate, distinguish, screen,
A pigeonhole,  pick  over,  sort, B
  integrate,    blend,   inspect,

(A and B on the same baseline as the last row)

  from the chaff and seperate
A the sheeps from the  goats. B
--------------------------------

I was unable to get any of these alignments.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: alignment questions
@ 2005-03-13 10:25 ` Willi Egger
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-03-13 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hoi Patrick,

Humble, I used just the \bTABLE ...\eTABLE environment. Please refer to
the attached file.

Kind regards
Willi

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hello *,
>

> inspired by Gerben's question, I did some experimenting with \framed.
>
> I'd like to get A[text]B, where text is some long thing in a framed
> box like \framed[width=5cm] {\input tufte \par}.
>
> There are three different ways of aligning the three objects:
>

> (A and B on the same baseline as the first row)
>
> A We  thrive  in  information- B
> -------------------------------
>   thick worlds because of  our
>   marvelous and  everyday  ca-
>

> (A and B in the middle of the box, not necessarily on the same
> baseline as a line in the box)
>
>   criminate, distinguish, screen,
> A pigeonhole,  pick  over,  sort, B
>   integrate,    blend,   inspect,
>

> (A and B on the same baseline as the last row)
>
>   from the chaff and seperate
> A the sheeps from the  goats. B
> --------------------------------
>

> I was unable to get any of these alignments.
>
> Patrick

[-- Attachment #2: textblockalignment-Gundlach.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1171 bytes --]

% ALigning three blocks of text
% PAtrick Gundlach
% Context file
% filename: textblockalignment-Gundlach.tex
% Willi Egger
% 13-03-2005

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setupbodyfont[rm,12pt]

\starttext
% Alignment of the three blocks with the first line

\setupTABLE[column][1][frame=off,width=2cm]
\setupTABLE[column][3][frame=off,width=2cm]
\setupTABLE[column][2][frame=off,width=5cm]
\bTABLE
	\bTR
		\bTD A \eTD
		\bTD	We  thrive  in  information-
				thick worlds because of  our
				marvelous and  everyday  ca- \eTD
		\bTD B \eTD\eTR
\eTABLE

\blank[3*big]

% Alignment of first and third block vertically centered, not necessarily aligned with
% a line of the second block

\bTABLE
	\bTR
		\bTD[align=lohi] A \eTD
		\bTD	criminate, distinguish, screen,
				pigeonhole,  pick  over,  sort,
				integrate,    blend,   inspect, \eTD
		\bTD[align=lohi] B \eTD\eTR
\eTABLE

\blank[3*big]

% Alignmnet of the three blocks in such a way, that the first and last block align
% with the laast row of the second block

\bTABLE
	\bTR
		\bTD[align=low] A \eTD
		\bTD	from the chaff and seperate
				A the sheeps from the  goats. \eTD
		\bTD[align=low] B \eTD\eTR
\eTABLE

\stoptext

* Re: alignment questions
@ 2005-03-13 11:02 ` Willi Egger
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-03-13 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-03-13 11:22 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-03-13 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hello *,
>

> inspired by Gerben's question, I did some experimenting with \framed.
>
> I'd like to get A[text]B, where text is some long thing in a framed
> box like \framed[width=5cm] {\input tufte \par}.
>
> There are three different ways of aligning the three objects:

There are more possibilities aligning three objects. For example:
   A[[B][C]]
Standard \framed is not capable to align these three nested boxes to
baseline. Since it is very frequent task of form typesetting, I did some
very dirt hacks into \framed definition. But just for myself. (If Hans
see the code all the rest of his hair falls down. I do not want that.)

vit

> (A and B on the same baseline as the first row)
>
> A We  thrive  in  information- B
> -------------------------------
>   thick worlds because of  our
>   marvelous and  everyday  ca-
>

> (A and B in the middle of the box, not necessarily on the same
> baseline as a line in the box)
>
>   criminate, distinguish, screen,
> A pigeonhole,  pick  over,  sort, B
>   integrate,    blend,   inspect,
>

> (A and B on the same baseline as the last row)
>
>   from the chaff and seperate
> A the sheeps from the  goats. B
> --------------------------------
>

> I was unable to get any of these alignments.
>
> Patrick

* Re: alignment questions
@ 2005-03-13 11:44   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-03-13 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit & Patrick wrote:

>> (A and B on the same baseline as the last row)
>>
>>   from the chaff and seperate
>> A the sheeps from the  goats. B
>> --------------------------------

This one should have worked:

   A bit of \framed[width=5cm,
                   align=justified,
                   location=depth] {\input tufte \par} glamour

and the centered one can be approximated thus:

   A bit of $\vcenter{\framed[width=5cm,
              align=justified] {\input tufte \par}}$ glamour

But the 'centered' and the 'hanging' one would be nice to
have as a 'location' option as well, at least in my opinion.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: alignment questions
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-13 12:24 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-03-13 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hoi Patrick,

Humble, I used just the \bTABLE ...\eTABLE environment. Please refer to
the attached file.

Kind regards
Willi

Sorry if this message is delivered twice, I got some struggles with may
mail engine ...

@ 2005-03-13 16:39   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-13 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Willi,

this does exactly what I wanted, but I am not too happy to (mis-)use a
table for that. Let's see when I need this in a real life example.

Bedankt,

 Patrick

--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: alignment questions
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-13 18:45 ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-03-13 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hello *,
>

> inspired by Gerben's question, I did some experimenting with \framed.
>
> I'd like to get A[text]B, where text is some long thing in a framed
> box like \framed[width=5cm] {\input tufte \par}.
>
> There are three different ways of aligning the three objects:
>

> (A and B on the same baseline as the first row)
>
> A We  thrive  in  information- B
> -------------------------------
>   thick worlds because of  our
>   marvelous and  everyday  ca-
>

> (A and B in the middle of the box, not necessarily on the same
> baseline as a line in the box)
>
>   criminate, distinguish, screen,
> A pigeonhole,  pick  over,  sort, B
>   integrate,    blend,   inspect,
>

> (A and B on the same baseline as the last row)
>
>   from the chaff and seperate
> A the sheeps from the  goats. B
> --------------------------------
>

> I was unable to get any of these alignments.

one way is to put things in a box and do some measuring and such; however, then
you need to know a bit about the position of the baseline (measurethe middle
box, and use a dummy framed around A and B with that height set etc)

the other way is to use the following extensions (i made the dislocator
installable so that you can hook in your own code if needed)

\unprotect

\def\stoplocalframed
   {\dontshowcomposition
    \@@stopframedorientation
    \ifboxhasformat
      \ifx\localwidth\v!fit
        \ifreshapeframebox\doreshapeframedbox\fi
        \boxhaswidthfalse
      \else\ifx\localwidth\v!fixed
        \boxhaswidthfalse
      \else
        \resetshapeframebox
      \fi\fi
    \else
      \resetshapeframebox
    \fi
    \ifboxhaswidth
      \wd\framebox\!!widtha
    \fi
    \ifboxhasheight
      \ht\framebox\!!heighta
    \fi
    \doifvalue{\@@framed\c!empty}\v!yes
      {\setbox\scratchbox\null
       \wd\scratchbox\wd\framebox
       \ht\scratchbox\ht\framebox
       \dp\scratchbox\dp\framebox
       \setbox\framebox\box\scratchbox}%
    \stopregistercolor
    \docolorframebox
    \ifboxhasoffset
      \dooffsetframebox
    \fi
    \ifboxisoverlaid \else
      \dolocateframebox
    \fi
    \ifx\postprocessframebox\relax \else
      \let\next\postprocessframebox
      \let\postprocessframebox\relax % prevent nesting
      \next\framebox
    \fi
    \edef\overlaylinecolor{\framedparameter\c!framecolor}%
    \edef\overlaylinewidth{\the\ruledlinewidth}% \@@...
    \ifboxhasframe % real or invisible frame
      \doframedbox
    \fi
    \doifvaluesomething{\@@framed\c!background}\dobackedbox
    \handleframedlocator\@@locallocation
    \box\framebox
    \egroup
    \egroup}

\def\installframedlocator#1#2%
   {\setvalue{\??ol:\c!location:#1}{#2}}

\def\handleframedlocator#1%
   {\getvalue{\??ol:\c!location:#1}}

\def\doprelocframedbox#1%
   {\scratchdimen#1\relax
    \advance\scratchdimen \ruledlinewidth
    \ifboxhasoffset
      \advance\scratchdimen \framedparameter\c!offset
    \fi
    \scratchskip\ht\framebox
    \advance\scratchskip-\scratchdimen}

\installframedlocator \v!hanging % best with strut=no
   {\dp\framebox\ht\framebox
    \ht\framebox\zeropoint}

\installframedlocator \v!depth
   {\scratchdimen\ht\framebox
    \advance\scratchdimen -\strutdp
    \ht\framebox\scratchdimen
    \dp\framebox\strutdp
    \box\framebox}

\installframedlocator \v!height
   {\scratchdimen\ht\framebox
    \advance\scratchdimen -\strutht
    \ht\framebox\strutht
    \dp\framebox\scratchdimen
    \box\framebox}

\installframedlocator \v!high
   {\doprelocframedbox\strutht
    \setbox\framebox\hbox{\lower\scratchskip\box\framebox}%
    \ht\framebox\strutht
    \dp\framebox\strutdp
    \hbox{\box\framebox}}

\installframedlocator \v!line
   {\setbox\framebox\hbox{\lower.5\ht\framebox\box\framebox}%
    \ht\framebox.5\lineheight
    \dp\framebox.5\lineheight
    \hbox{\box\framebox}}

\installframedlocator \v!low
   {\doprelocframedbox\strutdp
    \setbox\framebox\hbox{\lower\scratchdimen\box\framebox}%
    \ht\framebox\strutht
    \dp\framebox\strutdp
    \box\framebox}

\installframedlocator \v!top
   {\doprelocframedbox\strutht
    \setbox\framebox\hbox{\lower\scratchskip\box\framebox}%
    \ht\framebox\scratchdimen
    \dp\framebox\scratchskip
    \hbox{\box\framebox}}

\installframedlocator \v!middle
   {\scratchdimen.5\ht\framebox
    \setbox\framebox\hbox{\lower\scratchdimen\box\framebox}%
    \ht\framebox\scratchdimen
    \dp\framebox\scratchdimen
    \hbox{\box\framebox}}

\installframedlocator \v!lohi
   {\handleframedlocator\v!middle}

\installframedlocator \v!bottom
   {\doprelocframedbox\strutdp
    \setbox\framebox\hbox{\lower\scratchdimen\box\framebox}%
    \ht\framebox\scratchskip
    \dp\framebox\scratchdimen
    \hbox{\box\framebox}}

\starttext

\ruledhbox
   {A
    \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=hanging]{location\\equals\\hanging}
    \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=depth]  {location\\equals\\depth}
    \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=height] {location\\equals\\height}
    B}

\vskip2cm

\ruledhbox
   {A
    \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=low]    {location\\equals\\low}
    \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=line]   {location\\equals\\line}
    \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=high]   {location\\equals\\high}
    B}

\vskip2cm

\ruledhbox
  {A
   \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=top]    {location\\equals\\top}
   \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=bottom] {location\\equals\\bottom}
   \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=lohi]   {location\\equals\\lohi}
   \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=middle] {location\\equals\\middle}
   B}

\stoptext

(hanging, depth and low were already present)

check for compatibility -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: alignment questions
@ 2005-03-14  9:03   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-03-14  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

h h extern wrote:
> Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>
>> Hello *,
>>

>> inspired by Gerben's question, I did some experimenting with \framed.
>>
>> I'd like to get A[text]B, where text is some long thing in a framed
>> box like \framed[width=5cm] {\input tufte \par}.
>>
>> There are three different ways of aligning the three objects:
>>

>> (A and B on the same baseline as the first row)
>>
>> A We  thrive  in  information- B
>> -------------------------------
>>   thick worlds because of  our
>>   marvelous and  everyday  ca-
 >>
>> (A and B on the same baseline as the last row)
>>
>>   from the chaff and seperate
>> A the sheeps from the  goats. B
>> --------------------------------
>>
>> I was unable to get any of these alignments.
>
> the other way is to use the following extensions (i made the dislocator
> installable so that you can hook in your own code if needed)
>
> \unprotect
>
> \def\stoplocalframed

Everything works perfectly until the depth is greater then strut depth
(still no real depth measurements):

\starttext

\framed[location=bottom]
  {location=bottom
   \ruledhbox
   {A
    \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=bottom]
{location\\equals\\bottom}
    \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=top]    {location\\equals\\top}
    \framed[width=2cm,align=middle,location=lohi]   {location\\equals\\lohi}
    B}
  }

\stoptext

vit

* Re: alignment questions
@ 2005-03-14  9:31   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-14  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

[some nice location= in \framed trickery]

Yeah, that rocks!

Patrick

--

@ 2005-03-14  9:53     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-14  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

>>>   from the chaff and seperate
>>> A the sheeps from the  goats. B
>>> --------------------------------
>
> This one should have worked:
>    A bit of \framed[width=5cm,
>                    align=justified,
>                    location=depth] {\input tufte \par} glamour

It did work, but I wasn't able to find align=justified in texshow-web.
I have added it to texshow-web.

Thanks,
 Patrick

--