* Re: How to use PostScript font
@ 2004-08-18 19:16 skhilji
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: skhilji @ 2004-08-18 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 11:02 am
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] How to use PostScript font

> [ppl,12pt]
>
> may work, but nowadays we say:
>
> \usentypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

With this:

\setupbodyfont[ppl,12pt]
\starttext
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
\stoptext

I get errors.  I am using Fedora Core 2 with teTex 2.02.  The error messages follow this message.

I also tried:

\usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

without any luck.

Someone suggsted that I use the actual font names.  So I tried:

\setupbodyfont[uplr8a,12pt]

and it generated an error message something like:
"bodyfont       : unknown variant uplr8a"

Here are the error messages using [ppl,12pt]:

kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-uplr8a
! I can't find file `ec-uplr8a'.
<*> ...jfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-uplr8a

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...jfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-uplr8a

Transcript written on mfput.log.
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-uplr8a' failed.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font \*12ptrmtf*=ec-uplr8a at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not foun
d.
l.2   [ppl,12pt]

?

* Re: How to use PostScript font
@ 2004-08-18 19:24 ` Patrick Gundlach
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-18 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

[...]

> I also tried:

\usetypescript[adobekb][\defaultencoding]

> \usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: How to use PostScript font
@ 2004-08-18 19:28 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2004-08-18 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:16:43 -0400
skhilji@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> I get errors.  I am using Fedora Core 2 with teTex 2.02.  The error
> messages follow this message.

I'm using TeXLive 7 and this works for me:

\usetypescript[berry][ec] % or [8r]
\usetypescript[palatino][ec] %
\setupbodyfont[palatino]

I have other typeface examples in the "Predefined fonts" section of this
document:

    http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Tales of War
http://sattre-press.com/                       by Lord Dunsany

* Re: How to use PostScript font
@ 2004-08-18 21:16 ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-08-18 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 03:16:43PM -0400, skhilji@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> Someone suggsted that I use the actual font names.  So I tried:

That would be me. But what I really meant was that you may need to know
those names in order to solve the problem, not that you can expect to
use them directly in ConTeXt.

Now I would say you should use a typescript if you can. There's no real
benefit to using low-level font commands except that you might avoid the
need to create typescripts. Because it looks to me like you probably
need to either change the names of the fonts to conform to the built-in
typescripts, or write your own typescript. The former could cause
trouble if you ever want to use the fonts in LaTeX, so you're probably
better off writing your own typescript. It's a bit weird at first, but
really quite easy when you get used to it; hmm--let me give you a
sample: I'll attach below my Palatino typescript. I haven't used it much
lately, so I can't recall if it works 100%, but it might help you get
started. I also use TeTeX on Linux, so it might be usable as is.

For more info, there's a Fonts in ConTeXt manual that tells you most of
what you need to know, and then Bill McClain has some good examples on
the Web ... I believe his site is
<http://home.salamander.com/~wmmclain/>.

Fonts in TeX take a while to master, but once you do, life is great! (I
think ... I hope ... I'll let you know when I get there ;-)

--  type-palatino.tex  -------------------------------------------------
\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]

\starttypescript [serif] [palatino] [8r]
    \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
    \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Roman]         [pplr8r]  [encoding=8r]
    \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Bold]          [pplb8r]  [encoding=8r]
    \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Italic]        [pplri8r] [encoding=8r]
    \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Bold-Italic]   [pplbi8r] [encoding=8r]
    \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Slanted]       [pplro8r] [encoding=8r]
    \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Bold-Slanted]  [pplbo8r] [encoding=8r]
    \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Caps]          [pplrc8t] [encoding=8t]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [palatino] [name]
    \definefontsynonym [Serif]            [Palatino-Roman]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]        [Palatino-Bold]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]      [Palatino-Italic]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]  [Palatino-Bold-Italic]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]     [Palatino-Slanted]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted] [Palatino-Bold-Slanted]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]        [Palatino-Caps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[PalatinoFace]
    \definetypeface [Palatino] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [encoding=8r]
\stoptypescript

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: Re: How to use PostScript font
@ 2004-08-19  8:07   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-19  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>Hi,
>
>[...]
>

>>I also tried:
>>

>\usetypescript[adobekb][\defaultencoding]
>

>>\usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
>>\setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]
>>

>Patrick

Concerning those fonts, there are differences between distributions:
different metrics, different subpaths, urw instances either or not
present; i got the feeling that sometimes fixes/changes take place when
a font contributer finds out that his/her system does not work thereby
breaking other things); unfortunately much of those pieces of
distributions are dictated by what latex wants to see instead of being
generic

(one reason why i always generate metrics myself, although i found out
that on the current tex live some of the files needed for that are not
present of in different paths, so watch your logs -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-19 21:58     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-19 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

[.. psnfss fonts ..]

> Concerning those fonts, there are differences between distributions:
> different metrics, different subpaths, urw instances either or not
> present; i got the feeling that sometimes fixes/changes take place
> when a font contributer finds out that his/her system does not work
> thereby breaking other things); unfortunately much of those pieces of
> distributions are dictated by what latex wants to see instead of being
> generic

Well, we are talking about the fonts required by the psnfss (latex)
system. Those should be all the same for all systems. The files typset
should be completely portable. Maybe the outcome doesn't look right,
but I doubt it will. I'd like to hear about any problems with psnfss
not being compatible among distributions.

And the argument about being too LaTeXy: the encoding of these files
is not LaTeX specific (besides from the fact that LaTeX can only
handle T1/OT1 encoding right), so what is not generic about them?

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net

* Re: How to use PostScript font
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-08-19 22:01 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-19 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> I get errors. I am using Fedora Core 2 with teTex 2.02.

the ConTeXt in tetex 2.02 should be new enough to handle what Mari
and I have pointed out.

Please post an error message on the things that we have written. (But
I doubt you will get any.)

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-20  7:55       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-20  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>And the argument about being too LaTeXy: the encoding of these files
>is not LaTeX specific (besides from the fact that LaTeX can only
>handle T1/OT1 encoding right), so what is not generic about them?

if you run afm2tfm on some files you get different results that the 'handcrafted' ones that come with distributions; (afm2pl for instance defaults to different metrics [esp spacing] than afm2tfm);

many of these things are not really documented and done by people who use latex and know about latex internals (for instance how they deal with spacing);

concerning generic ... when discussing the fact that some files were not present or zipped with some people at a tex conference (in de) one of contributers remarked "why should they be there, since everyone uses latex and the stuff i make and no one is supposed to generate metrics")

similar things are true for patterns: they are supposed to be generic, but for instance the czech patterns (on tl2003) simply quit when not used in latex. Other changes take place as well, like changes in names of files, and if someone changes a name and then patches some latex source file, users won't notice; when such things are not communicated,  'generic' users end up with a non working system;

i think that the amount of real generic stuff out there is much smaller than people think (for instance bibtex files that have latex commands in
entries)

concerning fonts: if you want texnansi encoding, there are in most cases no tfm files etc. They are mentioned here and there, but often not on the system. It took me a while to find out that -because of that- i could not use precoockes metrics at all -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-20 14:09         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-20 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

>>And the argument about being too LaTeXy: the encoding of these files
>>is not LaTeX specific (besides from the fact that LaTeX can only
>>handle T1/OT1 encoding right), so what is not generic about them?
>>
> if you run afm2tfm on some files you get different results that the
> handcrafted' ones that come with distributions; (afm2pl for instance
> defaults to different metrics [esp spacing] than afm2tfm); many of
> these things are not really documented and done by people who use
> latex and know about latex internals (for instance how they deal with
> spacing); concerning generic ...

Yes, but you stated that "different metrics, different subpaths, urw
instances either or not present". Different metrics? I can't see any
differences in metrics between differnent distributions on those
fonts! Can you? They come from one source, i.e psnfss. Different
subpaths? Perhaps, but what is the problem? Kpathsea is taking care of
this. URW or not to URW? Good question, lets get started on this
subject :-)) If we accept that there is such thing as "psnfss", which
is preinstalled on almost all TeX systems out there, we can let the
user decide: use "psnfss-metrics" or the ones generated by $TOOL. And
I can't see any problems with the spacing with those fonts being too
LaTeX related. We should be happy about those fonts, since we get
good fonts (in terms of encodings/spacing/finetuning) for free from
the LaTeX side.

You are right that there are many other things being to LaTeX related.
The situation is getting much better. A few years ago the distributions
only knew about LaTeX. I had major problems with old tetex (memory
problems for example), now most things work out of the box.

[...]

> latex commands in entries) concerning fonts: if you want texnansi
> encoding, there are in most cases no tfm files etc. They are
> mentioned here and there, but often not on the system. It took me a
> while to find out that -because of that- i could not use precoockes
> metrics at all -)

Who needs texnansi anyway? (OK, perhaps there are few who really need
texnansi :-), but we might aks Mr. psnfss to generate texnansi metrics as
well).

[...]

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-20 15:52           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-20 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>Yes, but you stated that "different metrics, different subpaths, urw
>instances either or not present". Different metrics? I can't see any
>differences in metrics between differnent distributions on those
>fonts! Can you? They come from one source, i.e psnfss. Different
>subpaths? Perhaps, but what is the problem? Kpathsea is taking care of
>this. URW or not to URW? Good question, lets get started on this
>subject :-)) If we accept that there is such thing as "psnfss", which
>is preinstalled on almost all TeX systems out there, we can let the
>user decide: use "psnfss-metrics" or the ones generated by $TOOL. And
>I can't see any problems with the spacing with those fonts being too
>LaTeX related. We should be happy about those fonts, since we get
>good fonts (in terms of encodings/spacing/finetuning) for free from
>the LaTeX side.

sure, and anyone is free to use what he/she wants; but ... my main
problem is that i want to *know* what i use; recently i generated a set
of metrics files using afm2pl which defaults to the ps* defaults and
since a different spacing and emwidth metrics are used i got strange
incompatible typeset results; (afm2pl now has a afm2tfm compatibility
switch); there have been many discussions on how well for instance adobe
metrics (the standard 35, present in printers, but they may differ over
time and per platform) match urw's (on tex live, used when embedded)
[nelson beebe has done quite some research on that]. One problem with
all those fonts is that they have characteristics that are not reflected
in the filename (take for instance the slant), emwidth, spacing, etc.
The later may differ from the ones specified in the afm file. (actually,
setting those probably makes more sense in tex itself, font dimens and
such; if i have time i'll look into that: psfnss files with overloaded
font dimens -) Imagine what would happen if protruding and hz was
defined in fonts -)

say that i want to mix polish and german (using qx and ec encoding) in
one doc, i want similar spacing etc, don't i?

concerning the akb file, that's more related to wanting to use adobe
related metrics

>You are right that there are many other things being to LaTeX related.
>The situation is getting much better. A few years ago the distributions
>only knew about LaTeX. I had major problems with old tetex (memory
>problems for example), now most things work out of the box.

let's hope it stays that way; e.g. context uses one format name for all
engines, and until now could distinguish on suffix (fmt,efmt,ofmt) but
web2c/tds now uses one suffix (fmt) and $engine subpath; but not all
distributions will follow that spec, so context users who use pdfetex
alongside aleph are worse off (well, texexec can be configured to use
the web2c/$engine subpath: --engine of in texexec.ini)

another everlasting issue is 8 bit in - 8 bit out (which is now solved
by context always loading natural.tcx)

that only leaves fonts, patterns, encoding vectors (yes they sometimes
change, and there can be duplicates in the tree -)

>>encoding, there are in most cases no tfm files etc. They are
>>mentioned here and there, but often not on the system. It took me a
>>while to find out that -because of that- i could not use precoockes
>>metrics at all -)
>>

>Who needs texnansi anyway? (OK, perhaps there are few who really need
>texnansi :-), but we might aks Mr. psnfss to generate texnansi metrics as
>well).

we've always used them, probably before ec was around  -)

actually, the nice thing about afm2pl is that it creates texnansi metric files avoiding virtual fonts.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-21  8:48             ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-21  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

[psnfss fonts]

> sure, and anyone is free to use what he/she wants; but ... my main
> problem is that i want to *know* what i use;

That is exactly why I use the psnfss fonts. They are stable, the
spacing doesn't change.

> (afm2pl now has a afm2tfm compatibility switch); there have been
> many discussions on how well for instance adobe metrics (the
> standard 35, present in printers, but they may differ over time and
> per platform) match urw's (on tex live, used when embedded) [nelson
> beebe has done quite some research on that].

Yes, but what was the conclusion? As far as I can see the metrics
only changed in terms of the character bounding box. But these are
not considered for the advance width. So the change in metrics is
irrelevant for typesetting with TeX.

> One problem with all those fonts is that they have characteristics
> that are not reflected in the filename (take for instance the
> slant), emwidth, spacing, etc.

Yes, but what is the problem? We are not talking about "other fonts",
just the ones preinstalled by psnfss. We know ervery bit of those
fonts, so no need to reflect the spacing etc. in the filename, since
e.g. phvr8t will always have the same characteristics thougout all
distributions.

> say that i want to mix polish and german (using qx and ec encoding) in
> one doc, i want similar spacing etc, don't i?

Right, but qx isn't supplied by psnfss anyway, is it? So you'd have
to make your own font; but I still can't see the drawback in using
those fonts for 99% of [texts covered by ec encoding]. I can agree on
"don't mix fontinst installed fonts with afm2... installed fonts when
you need same em width (and alike)." But for most texts I bet that
this is not an issue.

> concerning the akb file, that's more related to wanting to use adobe
> related metrics

Absolutely. The choose the adobe metrics from psnfss, but as I am
told the URW metrics have somewhat questionable kerning data. And
using URW metrics with Adobe fonts will break on glyphs that are in
URW but not Adobe.

> all engines, and until now could distinguish on suffix (fmt,efmt,ofmt)
> but web2c/tds now uses one suffix (fmt) and $engine subpath; but not
> all distributions will follow that spec, so context users who use
> pdfetex alongside aleph are worse off (well, texexec can be configured
> to use the web2c/$engine subpath: --engine of in texexec.ini)

I should make a macro in my Mailreader for default answer for those
questions and put it on a easy to remember key :-)

> actually, the nice thing about afm2pl is that it creates texnansi
> metric files avoiding virtual fonts.

That is really good. Let me see what I can do with respect to
psnfss/texnansi...

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-22 23:26               ` Hans Hagen Outside
From: Hans Hagen Outside @ 2004-08-22 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Patrick,

>Yes, but what is the problem? We are not talking about "other fonts",
>just the ones preinstalled by psnfss. We know ervery bit of those
>fonts, so no need to reflect the spacing etc. in the filename, since
>e.g. phvr8t will always have the same characteristics thougout all
>distributions.

that's fine for those who use ec fonts, but i happen not to use them (we
started using texnansi a long time ago; i'm not even sure if ec was
around that time, and i definitely didn't have access to metrics then)

>>say that i want to mix polish and german (using qx and ec encoding) in
>>one doc, i want similar spacing etc, don't i?
>>

>Right, but qx isn't supplied by psnfss anyway, is it? So you'd have
>to make your own font; but I still can't see the drawback in using
>those fonts for 99% of [texts covered by ec encoding]. I can agree on

well, (other thread), this is why we need an encoding with 'as many
characters as possible' which means, no funny characters like copyright
and registered and such  (which spoils slots)  -)

>"don't mix fontinst installed fonts with afm2... installed fonts when
>you need same em width (and alike)." But for most texts I bet that
>this is not an issue.

probably,  so, i have no problems with everyone except me using ec and
psnfss fonts; and indeed i don't want to mix systems (most of the
documents i process here use commercial fonts and for those i depend on
my own font hackery; it simply does not pay off to spent much time on
figuring out fontinst for that, apart from the fact that i lost track of
font names long ago -)

>Absolutely. The choose the adobe metrics from psnfss, but as I am
>told the URW metrics have somewhat questionable kerning data. And
>using URW metrics with Adobe fonts will break on glyphs that are in
>URW but not Adobe.

right, and that's why i use the urw metrics with urw files (i always
embed those files, since i don't want operating systems/acrobat/printers
to swap in their own substitutes and clones); when i use for instance
palatino from adobe  or linotype, I just generate new metric files.

>That is really good. Let me see what I can do with respect to
>psnfss/texnansi...

ok; btw, also take a look at sieps afm2pl since it has some other nice features

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-24  9:56                 ` Siep Kroonenberg
From: Siep Kroonenberg @ 2004-08-24  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 01:26:06AM +0200, Hans Hagen Outside wrote:

> ok; btw, also take a look at sieps afm2pl since it has some other nice
> features
> Hans

My belated three cents on some of the things which were discussed in
this thread:

As to texnansi: this is supported in Latex by texnansi.sty. For
Western European languages, it seems to cover pretty much
everything, so there is no need for text companion fonts or virtual
fonts. Basic support (without artificial smallcaps) for a font
family with non-virtual texnansi fonts consists of just four tfms, a
mapfile fragment and, for Latex, an fd file.

As to fontinst: doing it the easy way, using just the latinfamily
command, you get dozens of files, in 8R, T1, OT1 and TS1 encoding.
You have to be pretty expert if you want more fine-grained control
and a more economical set of support files. I don't even know
whether Fontinst can generate non-virtual texnansi fonts which are
suitable for regular typesetting. Besides, I believe that nowadays
fontinst depends on Latex.

Sorry about just mentioning Latex here: I am only an occasional
Context user, and don't use typescripts or texfont at all.

As to afm2pl: the latest version available from tex.aanhet.net is
0.6; later versions are written to be part of TeX Live 2004 which is
currently under development. Because of changes in the TDS, these
may not work correctly in an older TeX installation.

Version 0.7.02 with afm2tfm compatibility is not yet in the TeX Live
source tree, last time I checked.

--
Siep Kroonenberg

* Re: How to use PostScript font
@ 2004-08-24 10:09                   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-24 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Siep,

[...]

Only commenting on this one:

> As to texnansi: this is supported in Latex by texnansi.sty. For
> Western European languages, it seems to cover pretty much
> everything, so there is no need for text companion fonts or virtual
> fonts. Basic support (without artificial smallcaps) for a font
> family with non-virtual texnansi fonts consists of just four tfms, a
> mapfile fragment and, for Latex, an fd file.

texnansi does not work with german.sty which I'd say is necessary for
german texts. T1 and OT1 is hardcoded. I don't know about babel.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-24 14:38                     ` Siep Kroonenberg
From: Siep Kroonenberg @ 2004-08-24 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 12:09:50PM +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> texnansi does not work with german.sty which I'd say is necessary for
> german texts. T1 and OT1 is hardcoded. I don't know about babel.
>
> Patrick

Checking babel.def, I saw that it sets \latinencoding to OT1 if T1
is unavailable - which might explain some encoding-related oddities
I have run into in the past.

Guess some patches for babel and german are needed.

--
Siep Kroonenberg

* Re: How to use PostScript font
@ 2004-08-22 18:11                 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-22 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> Here is the essence of your problem:
>
>     > kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-uplr8a ! I can't find file
>     > `ec-uplr8a'.  <*> ...jfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-uplr8a
>
> You don't have the proper font files in place to use the postscript
> typescripts as they come in the default ConText.  For what it is worth,
> neither did the Slackware 9.1 distribution that I have.

If this is a recent TeX, then it has all necessary files for using
postscript fonts out of the box. Just install psnfss and use the
magic I have written elsewhere in this thread.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-20 16:40         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-20 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

>Hmm, shouldn't \usetypescript[adobekb][..] be enough to load the file?
>>I have just deleted my tetex 2 installation, so I can't verify. type-akb.tex
>>didn't get loaded with fedora linux that the person (whatever his
>>name is) used so it is either not available or one has to use the
>>right magic to load.
>>
> just to make sure: type-akb is on your system isn't it? (or did i mess
> up the distribution ?) Hans

Sure! We have a problem with something archaeological:

ConTeXt  ver: 2003.1.31  fmt: 2004.5.28  int: english  mes: english

So "skhilji@tampabay.rr.com" should report again.

P.
--

@ 2004-08-20 16:11     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-20 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

[...]

@ 2004-08-20 13:54 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-08-20 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> The following works at live.contextgarden.net, but not on my Fedora
> Core 2 installation.

Oh damned. The adobekb file does not exist on your system and ConTeXt
doesn't feel like giving an error message :-(

install http://levana.de/context/font/adobekb.tex  into your
homedir/TeX system.

Patrick
--

@ 2004-08-20  0:42     ` Steve Peter
From: Steve Peter @ 2004-08-20  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 19, 2004, at 8:06 PM, Nigel King wrote:

> Very quietly shhh - I just wish some one would make TeXFont work in
> Mac OSX from GW.

What about it doesn't work? I use it to install fonts into my gwTeX
layout on Mac OS X.

Steve

* Re: How to use PostScript font
@ 2004-08-20  0:06   ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2004-08-20  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Very quietly shhh - I just wish some one would make TeXFont work in Mac
OSX from GW.

Nigel

@ 2004-08-19 13:40 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2004-08-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 skhilji@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> None of the commands that I was told worked.  I donT think its my
> installation.  To my surprise, the following does not work at
> live.contextgarden.net.  If you see the log file, it says that the TFM
> file not found.

You just missed one critical row that makes things work both in
live.contextgarden.net and at least in my own installation (I just wish
somebody made TeXFont work in Windows...). Patrick mentioned this
yesterday, but perhaps you haven't seen the message?

Try this:
\usetypescript[adobekb][ec] %or whatever your encoding is
> \setupbodyfont[pos]
> \starttext
> The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
> \stoptext

If that works on your computer (I *know* it works in contextgarden as I
found out about it by trial and error, a note in cont-sys.rme/cont-sys.tex
led me to the right track), try this (works in contextgarden):

---

\usetypescript[adobekb][ec] % THIS does the magic
\usetypescript[palatino][ec]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

\starttext

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

ÅÄÖ åäö

\stoptext

-------

[I always use the diacritics of my native language(s) Finnish and Swedish
as Computer Modern doesn't have them - if the diacritics turn up in the
pdf file, the font settings work.]

Good luck from a font-fighting fellow,

Mari

* Re: How to use PostScript font
@ 2004-08-19 13:02 skhilji
From: skhilji @ 2004-08-19 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

None of the commands that I was told worked.  I donT think its my installation.  To my surprise, the following does not work at live.contextgarden.net.  If you see the log file, it says that the TFM file not found.  Even the server at contextgarden is missing the package that I am missing from my system

@ 2004-08-18 16:13   ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-08-18 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 05:02:00PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> skhilji@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
>
> >I'd like to use the paladino font from urw as my body font (Its the one
> >used in the MetaFUN manual).  I tried setting:
> >
> >\setupbodyfont[pos,12pt]
> >
> >but it does not work.  What is the name that I should use?
> >

> [ppl,12pt]
>
> may work, but nowadays we say:
>
> \usentypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

It should be noted (with apologies if this is too obvious) that while
ConTeXt attempts to provide a simple, high-level font handling
interface--and does a very good job, all things considered--it can't do
magic. Either of the above techniques depends on font names that are
defined outside of ConTeXt--by the underlying TeX distribution, by you,
the user, or by a local administrator. So if neither of Hans' solutions
works, you will just have to dig into your TeX font directory (e.g.
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts if you are on Linux--don't know for
Windows) and find out the exact file names.

@ 2004-08-18 15:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-18 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

skhilji@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

>I'd like to use the paladino font from urw as my body font (Its the one used in the MetaFUN manual).  I tried setting:
>
>\setupbodyfont[pos,12pt]
>
>but it does not work.  What is the name that I should use?

[ppl,12pt]

may work, but nowadays we say:

\usentypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,12pt]

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* How to use PostScript font