From: "Patrick Gundlach" <patrick@gundla.ch>
Subject: Re: good-looking tables in context
Date: 10 Apr 2005 10:59:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 02:19:18PM +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>> - left/right trimming of horizontal lines
>>

> What do you mean by left/right trimming?

a line that goes to the border of the cell but not further, i.e. it
does not extend into the space between two cells. So two cells next to
each other would look like this:

 |            |  |             |
-|------------|  |-------------|-
 |            |  |             |

one right trimmed and one left trimmed rule.

this would be the untrimmed variant

 |            |  |             |
-|-----------------------------|-
 |            |  |             |

see the file booktabs.pdf (that describes a LaTeX package) on page
two. Compare the table two and three. Esp. the rule below "Item". It
should not advance over the word Description.

> If I am correct, doesn't one use \DL to draw a line at the bottom of
> a cell, \DC to not draw a line, and \DL to end the row? This means
> one can draw lines just for the cells one wants in any manner.

See this table. The middle rule is too wide for me. It needs left and
right timming.

\starttable[||||]
\HL[2]
\NC test \NC test \NC test \NC \FR