* pdfetex can't find map files
@ 2004-12-08  0:48 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-12-08  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aargh!

Font problems again: after not using ConTeXt for a while, I installed
the December 6 package today, generated formats, copied cont-sys.rme and
texexec.rme, and so on. Since I recently upgraded my teTeX installation,
I also edited pdftex.cfg, adding a bunch of

   map +foo

lines--though I guess that's not strictly necessary, since I have

   \autoloadmapfilestrue

in cont-sys.tex.

All my fonts and typescripts are in the same places they were before,
and it seems they are being found; however, pdfetex seems to be unable
to use regular TeX fonts (e.g. Computer Modern) because it can't find
the map files installed by ConTeXt. There are a number error messages
that look like this (representing all the ConTeXt map files, I think):

   Warning: pdfetex (file original-public-vnr.map): \
     cannot open font map file

The files exist and are world-readable, so the above must mean that
pdfetex just can't find them.

Now, I did one important thing differently from before: I installed
ConTeXt under $TEXMFLOCAL, which on my system is /usr/local/share/texmf.
So the map files in question are in

   /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/

And I *think* my texmf.cnf is set up correctly:

   TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/share/texmf

   TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

   TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fontname;$TEXMF/fonts/map//
     % also TEXFONTMAPS.pdftex and TEXFONTMAPS.pdfetex w/ same values

   TEXINPUTS.pdftex   = .;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{plain,generic,context,}//
   TEXINPUTS.pdfetex   = \
     .;$TEXMF/{pdfetex,pdftex,etex,tex}/{plain,generic,context,}//
   TEXINPUTS.context = \
     .;$TEXMF/{pdftex,etex,tex}/{context,plain,generic,}//

... and so on.

So, anyone have an idea what I might have missed?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

* Re: pdfetex can't find map files
@ 2004-12-08 10:39 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-12-08 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Matt,

make sure you got your cont-sys. updated. Also have a look at
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.tetex.general (the tetex mailing
list archive). I had font problems, too, although different ones.

Patrick

--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Re: pdfetex can't find map files
@ 2004-12-08 13:58   ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-12-08 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> make sure you got your cont-sys. updated.

If by that you mean simply installing the latest version, I'm pretty
sure I did--since I ripped out all the context/ directories under
/usr/share/texmf (which is where I had always installed ConTeXt before)
and installed the latest package under /usr/local/share/texmf.

But I'll double-check it. Do you happen to know the date of the correct
version?

> Also have a look at
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.tetex.general (the tetex mailing
> list archive). I had font problems, too, although different ones.

Do you mean your exchange with Thomas Esser near the top of the list?

Anyway, thanks.

--

@ 2004-12-08 14:09     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-12-08 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Matt,

>> make sure you got your cont-sys. updated.
>
> If by that you mean simply installing the latest version, I'm pretty
> sure I did--since I ripped out all the context/ directories under
> /usr/share/texmf (which is where I had always installed ConTeXt
> before) and installed the latest package under
> /usr/local/share/texmf.

The cont-sys.tex is not installed by default. You have to copy
cont-sys.ori or cont-sys.rme to cont-sys.tex.

> But I'll double-check it. Do you happen to know the date of the
> correct version?

well, I use the one from tetex:

/opt/tetex/20041128/texmf/tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme except for:

\usetypescript[adobekb] [\defaultencoding]
\setupoutput[pdftex]
\pdfoptionpdfminorversion=4

in my cont-sys.tex.

>> Also have a look at
>> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.tetex.general (the tetex mailing
>> list archive). I had font problems, too, although different ones.
>
> Do you mean your exchange with Thomas Esser near the top of the list?

Right. I think it was named something like "tetex issues".

Patrick
--

@ 2004-12-08 23:23       ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-12-08 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> The cont-sys.tex is not installed by default. You have to copy
> cont-sys.ori or cont-sys.rme to cont-sys.tex.

Yes, I know that. Of course, I could have forgotten, but I didn't this time:

   $ find /usr/local/share/texmf -name cont-sys.tex
   /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-sys.tex
   $ kpsewhich cont-sys.tex
   /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-sys.tex
   $ grep mapfiles /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-sys.tex
   \autoloadmapfilestrue
   % \resetmapfiles \usetypescript [map] [base] [all]
   \resetmapfiles

So, unfortunately, the answer is not quite that simple.

I notice in your post on the teTeX list that your cont-sys.tex
explicitly loads a couple of map files. At first glance that doesn't
seem related, but do you think it might be?

You know, I have a feeling this is really a problem with pdftex--either
an error in my texmf.cnf or a software bug. I have previously had
problems with pdftex failing to find resources in $TEXMFLOCAL; in the
past I have worked around this by moving files into $TEXMFMAIN, but I
want to avoid that if at all possible--I use the teTeX package from my
Linux distribution, and I'm tired of having my changes overwritten every
time I upgrade.

So, I appreciate your help so far. Still looking for a solution ...

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

* SOLVED -- Re: pdfetex can't find map files
@ 2004-12-11  1:11 ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-12-11  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Gushee wrote:

>   Warning: pdfetex (file original-public-vnr.map): \
>     cannot open font map file
>
> The files exist and are world-readable, so the above must mean that
> pdfetex just can't find them.

Thomas Esser has explained that pdfetex uses $TEXPSHEADERS (or maybe
$PSHEADERS) as the search path for map files. So I added

   $TEXMF/fonts/map//

to TEXPSHEADERS in my texmf.cnf, and now everything works fine.

It seems a little strange that pdf(e)tex doesn't use TEXFONTMAPS. Maybe
it will in the future? Perhaps Hans can comment on that.

Thanks to all.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA