* pdfetex can't find map files
@ 2004-12-08  0:48 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-12-08  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aargh!

Font problems again: after not using ConTeXt for a while, I installed
the December 6 package today, generated formats, copied cont-sys.rme and
texexec.rme, and so on. Since I recently upgraded my teTeX installation,
I also edited pdftex.cfg, adding a bunch of

   map +foo

lines--though I guess that's not strictly necessary, since I have

   \autoloadmapfilestrue

in cont-sys.tex.

All my fonts and typescripts are in the same places they were before,
and it seems they are being found; however, pdfetex seems to be unable
to use regular TeX fonts (e.g. Computer Modern) because it can't find
the map files installed by ConTeXt. There are a number error messages
that look like this (representing all the ConTeXt map files, I think):

   Warning: pdfetex (file original-public-vnr.map): \
     cannot open font map file

The files exist and are world-readable, so the above must mean that
pdfetex just can't find them.

Now, I did one important thing differently from before: I installed
ConTeXt under $TEXMFLOCAL, which on my system is /usr/local/share/texmf.
So the map files in question are in

   /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/

And I *think* my texmf.cnf is set up correctly:

   TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/share/texmf

   TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

   TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fontname;$TEXMF/fonts/map//
     % also TEXFONTMAPS.pdftex and TEXFONTMAPS.pdfetex w/ same values

   TEXINPUTS.pdftex   = .;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{plain,generic,context,}//
   TEXINPUTS.pdfetex   = \
     .;$TEXMF/{pdfetex,pdftex,etex,tex}/{plain,generic,context,}//
   TEXINPUTS.context = \
     .;$TEXMF/{pdftex,etex,tex}/{context,plain,generic,}//

... and so on.

So, anyone have an idea what I might have missed?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA